It's official : CFexpress is the future

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 18,904
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

VBLondon wrote:

Now we have (1) the backwards-compatible CFE standard with no Sony IP stranglehold and more vendors shipping cards (2) an assurance it will be the future standard for fast cards with Canon switching

+1

In the background slower SD cards are still usable even though faster SD cards are available 

When taking landscapes, still life, portraits etc the fastest card available its for from essential.

I will wait for CFExpress card prices to settle and reports of the speed gain on the 3 bodies I own that take XQD before making a purchase decision.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future
1

A keen and vivid memory is the future of photography.  No camera needed.

 scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,533
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

scokill wrote:

A keen and vivid memory is the future of photography. No camera needed.

The problem is that you cannot share for those coming...

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

 Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D850
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

scokill wrote:

A keen and vivid memory is the future of photography. No camera needed.

Yes it's called a painter - that is how human record what they see on canvas to show other. The camera still playing a big role until someone can figure out how to print what you see.

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,886
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

That's my thought. I use a Sony SD UHS-II SDXC card for 4K video on my D850 and it's fine. I don't shoot sports or action with the camera so I don't need a fast card for stills.

Anyone know of an XQD>SD card adapter? It would be nice to have a backup when I do shoot stills (the camera doesn't record video to both slots anyway.)

 24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z50
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future
1

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD  serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

Not sure what that means in regards to what I said.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

Not sure what that means in regards to what I said.

Don’t care too much about SD card

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future
1

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

Not sure what that means in regards to what I said.

Don’t care too much about SD card

The slot was your problem, not the card.

SD cards are my least favorite card due to the small size, however for most everything they are good enough and very cheap.  So I use a mixture of SD, CF and XQD.  I'm never paying $600 for 500Gb of fast storage I've never come close to needing.

If I want fast, better to buy $600 of premium fuel for my 160hp, 430 lb sled.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

Not sure what that means in regards to what I said.

Don’t care too much about SD card

The slot was your problem, not the card.

SD cards are my least favorite card due to the small size, however for most everything they are good enough and very cheap. So I use a mixture of SD, CF and XQD. I'm never paying $600 for 500Gb of fast storage I've never come close to needing.

If I want fast, better to buy $600 of premium fuel for my 160hp, 430 lb sled.

I entrust my NEF files to either CF or XQD in my D300s, D800 and D850 respectively - SD has always been used to store JPG and MOV files.  If I could I would have bought a twin XQD F5.

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

Sorry  I didn't know I was on an episode of The Big Bang Theory.  I'll point out tongue in cheek comments in the future for the Sheldon Coopers of the forum.

 scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

scokill wrote:

Sorry I didn't know I was on an episode of The Big Bang Theory. I'll point out tongue in cheek comments in the future for the Sheldon Coopers of the forum.

I am sure our government is working on it - after all they are current recording our every move

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

On Black Friday you can get 512 Gb of Sandisk 150 mb/s SD cards ( 4 x 128Gb ) for $80

Or you can pre-order 512 Gb of Sandisk CFExpress from B & H for $600 and throw in another $50 for a new card reader.

150 mb/s will not buffer out on my D500 or D850 (at 9 fps) at the bursts I shoot. I run 160mb/s CF cards in my D4s with same results. I do have 3 or 4 XQDs that I rarely use.

And Nikon wonders why they are selling less Zees then expected. Every little misstep adds up, and XQD (or CFExpress) only is one of the missteps.

My D850 SD card slot develops a problem - it is very hard to close, it will after a several attempts - took it to Nikon and wanted to book it in for service but I needed the camera for a coming holiday so I didn’t leave it with them - I really don’t care too much about the SD slot the XQD serves me well - can’t wait to try the new CFexpress card

Not sure what that means in regards to what I said.

Don’t care too much about SD card

The slot was your problem, not the card.

SD cards are my least favorite card due to the small size, however for most everything they are good enough and very cheap. So I use a mixture of SD, CF and XQD. I'm never paying $600 for 500Gb of fast storage I've never come close to needing.

If I want fast, better to buy $600 of premium fuel for my 160hp, 430 lb sled.

I entrust my NEF files to either CF or XQD in my D300s, D800 and D850 respectively - SD has always been used to store JPG and MOV files. If I could I would have bought a twin XQD F5.

That's what I said first when XQDs came out. Wished my D4 had two XQD slots. Now I realize that for me, and the burst I shoot, 160 mb/s Cfs in bodies that take CFs, and 95 mb/s SDs (in the D500 and D850) are more than enough. For me, there's no downside to having an SD in the slot, and no upside to buying more XQDs.

As I said about buying a Zee, and I'll say about buying CFx and more XQDs, no point in me looking at a fool in the mirror in the morning. It's about the same as putting 100 octane fuel in a vehicle that requires 87 - zero benefit.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,284
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future
2

T O Shooter wrote:

That's what I said first when XQDs came out. Wished my D4 had two XQD slots. Now I realize that for me, and the burst I shoot, 160 mb/s Cfs in bodies that take CFs, and 95 mb/s SDs (in the D500 and D850) are more than enough. For me, there's no downside to having an SD in the slot, and no upside to buying more XQDs.

As I said about buying a Zee, and I'll say about buying CFx and more XQDs, no point in me looking at a fool in the mirror in the morning. It's about the same as putting 100 octane fuel in a vehicle that requires 87 - zero benefit.

First of all, I have a D5 with dual XQD slots, and I need that speed.

But XQD is more than just about speed. In my experience, it is the most durable card format compared to CF and SD. CF has those vulnerable pins that is well known, and it has reached its theoretical speed limit.

I have just lost a number of SD cards initially; they are small enough that they can be misplaced, e.g. falling into gaps in furniture ..., and I have also cracked a few and some develop problem with the little lock switch. I have a couple of SD cards that would engage that switch automatically when I push it into the camera. Since the card is no longer writable, I get an error message from the camera immediately. Pull the card out, unlock the switch and reinsert, and that lock is engaged again ....

XQD/CFx is easily my favorite among the three, and hopefully prices will come down once we no longer need to pay royalty to Sony and there is more competition. There are more than half a dozen manufacturers with CFx cards coming ..., but none seems to be actually available yet.

 shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

This conversation reminds me of when Apple removed the 3.5" floppy drive from their computers. It was a huge mistake. Were they out of their minds? Then, not so long afterward, no one cared.

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

Anonymous Pi wrote:

This conversation reminds me of when Apple removed the 3.5" floppy drive from their computers. It was a huge mistake. Were they out of their minds? Then, not so long afterward, no one cared.

I cannot be held responsible for your strange mind.

I have XQDs, likely before most here, considering D4 was first Nikon XQD camera.  However, my cameras take a combination of two of the following 3 cards - SD, CF and XQD.  I have never had a copy of either card fail.  All three of the card formats allow me to shoot the burst that I need to shoot, running between 9 fps and 11 fps depending on body.  So if I can do that on either body not needing the CFx or even really needing the XQD that I have, why would I spend the extra dollars?  Beyond the 4 XQDs I already have.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

shuncheung wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

That's what I said first when XQDs came out. Wished my D4 had two XQD slots. Now I realize that for me, and the burst I shoot, 160 mb/s Cfs in bodies that take CFs, and 95 mb/s SDs (in the D500 and D850) are more than enough. For me, there's no downside to having an SD in the slot, and no upside to buying more XQDs.

As I said about buying a Zee, and I'll say about buying CFx and more XQDs, no point in me looking at a fool in the mirror in the morning. It's about the same as putting 100 octane fuel in a vehicle that requires 87 - zero benefit.

First of all, I have a D5 with dual XQD slots, and I need that speed.

But XQD is more than just about speed. In my experience, it is the most durable card format compared to CF and SD. CF has those vulnerable pins that is well known, and it has reached its theoretical speed limit.

I have just lost a number of SD cards initially; they are small enough that they can be misplaced, e.g. falling into gaps in furniture ..., and I have also cracked a few and some develop problem with the little lock switch. I have a couple of SD cards that would engage that switch automatically when I push it into the camera. Since the card is no longer writable, I get an error message from the camera immediately. Pull the card out, unlock the switch and reinsert, and that lock is engaged again ....

XQD/CFx is easily my favorite among the three, and hopefully prices will come down once we no longer need to pay royalty to Sony and there is more competition. There are more than half a dozen manufacturers with CFx cards coming ..., but none seems to be actually available yet.

I don't mind if they make CFx or you buy CFx, I just have no need for them. I dislike the small size of SD as well.  CF is my favorite, no issues.  My XQD are very good as well.  I don't chew on any of them, toss them out car windows, run over them, put them in the oven, so for the cost savings, I can live with SD when I fill my XQD or CF. Which is pretty much right now.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
OP MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,603
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

T O Shooter wrote:

\I dislike the small size of SD as well.

Same here

CF is my favorite, no issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed : same here. But there are too many stories of bent pins to ignore, and that's not a cheap repair. And no nobody tried

toss them out car windows, run over them, put them in the oven,

and yet their cards failed

Incidentally the way I avoid any chance of bent pin is by using the camera as a card reader and connecting it straight to the computer to transfer images, i.e. the card never leave its slot. Contrary to the internet myth that method of transferring images is very reliable.

so for the cost savings,

While I agree that they are expensive, there is something to be said about a card format that is reliable. That money buys you piece of mind.

The cards have been expensive because of Sony's near monopoly on XQD (the prices went up big time when Lexar stopped selling them) and because they are a niche market. Prices are bound to go down as the competition heats up and as more camera manufacturers adopt them. How much was a CF card when the format was first introduced? I forgot  but if I were to make a guess I'd say even more expensive than an XQD card taking inflation into account.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

 TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

TOF guy wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

\I dislike the small size of SD as well.

Same here

CF is my favorite, no issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed : same here. But there are too many stories of bent pins to ignore, and that's not a cheap repair. And no nobody tried

toss them out car windows, run over them, put them in the oven,

and yet their cards failed

Incidentally the way I avoid any chance of bent pin is by using the camera as a card reader and connecting it straight to the computer to transfer images, i.e. the card never leave its slot. Contrary to the internet myth that method of transferring images is very reliable.

so for the cost savings,

While I agree that they are expensive, there is something to be said about a card format that is reliable. That money buys you piece of mind.

The cards have been expensive because of Sony's near monopoly on XQD (the prices went up big time when Lexar stopped selling them) and because they are a niche market. Prices are bound to go down as the competition heats up and as more camera manufacturers adopt them. How much was a CF card when the format was first introduced? I forgot but if I were to make a guess I'd say even more expensive than an XQD card taking inflation into account.

Yes with any luck multiple suppliers will drive the price down.  I found a big difference using the CFs out of camera by using a quality card reader rather than the dinky one I had first.  Just seems to glide right in, and knowing that some fellows (many fellows?) had issues, I don't rush at it.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads