It's official : CFexpress is the future

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,616
It's official : CFexpress is the future

As you may have noticed the newly announced Canon 1DXMkIII will sport CFExpress cards.

Combined with now old news Nikon's adoption of the same format, CFExpress is now without doubt the future standard for dSLR memory cards,

CFast is on its way out. Nikon made the right call by adopting XQD a few years ago,

Off topic but the new Canon specs look impressive! Canon users can rejoice.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
John Card Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

I noticed that in the Canon announcement, and my first thought was the hope that it will drive cheaper CFX cards to market for us.  Thank you Canon!

John Card's gear list:John Card's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

TOF guy wrote:

As you may have noticed the newly announced Canon 1DXMkIII will sport CFExpress cards.

Combined with now old news Nikon's adoption of the same format, CFExpress is now without doubt the future standard for dSLR memory cards,

CFast is on its way out. Nikon made the right call by adopting XQD a few years ago,

CFexpress (CFx) being the future isn't exactly news, as CFast is based on the Serial ATA interface which has reached its theoretical speed limit. The question is when video cam manufacturers would switch from CFast to CFx in large numbers. Back in early September, Canon announced the C500 Mark II with two CFx slots and one SD slot, no CFast: https://www.dpreview.com/news/7855612854/canon-announces-c500-mark-ii-camera-and-a-39k-reference-monitor

It is only natural that the 1Dx Mark 3 following the same path towards CFx.

As a result, the Canon 1Dx Mark 2 is the only Canon still camera that has a CFast slot.

Nikon's adaptation of XQD in their D4 back in 2012 turned out to be ahead of its time. What has been holding back XQD is that whoever produces them needs to pay royalty to Sony. When Lexar was owned by Micron, they managed to work out some deal with Sony, but not Lexar's current owner LongSys. For all practical purposes, XQD is now renamed CFx and that Sony royalty obligation is gone. All of a sudden many different brands are now making CFx cards.

Back in 2016 I bought a D5 with dual XQD slots. So far I am extremely happy with XQD. Hopefully competition and the absence of royalty would quickly drive down the cost for XQD/CFx so that it can become more popular.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 6,001

TOF guy wrote:

So let Ike see if I got the right DSLR’s are Dead so CFexpress cards won’t matter to them anyways but ML are the future are or are they dead too and now we just shoot with CFexpress, , what’s the future going to bring us next week

-- hide signature --

“Perhaps if you removed some clothing . “
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,533

lickity split wrote:

So let Ike see if I got the right DSLR’s are Dead so CFexpress cards won’t matter to them anyways but ML are the future are or are they dead too and now we just shoot with CFexpress, , what’s the future going to bring us next week

I understand that CFexpress won´t need cameras to take photos.

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon D810
lickity split

Raul wrote:

lickity split wrote:

Yes it’s the future of photography 🤣

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,082

lickity split wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

CFx will be used in both ML and DSLR, single slot on low end and twin slots in advanced amateur and professional models

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

mais51 wrote:

CFx will be used in both ML and DSLR, single slot on low end and twin slots in advanced amateur and professional models

Keep in mind that we are really referring to CFx type B here, which has the same form factor (size) as XQD cards. There will also be CFx type A cards, which have only one PCI express lane and are a bit smaller than an SD card.

For higher end cameras that need to include two cards, it could be a combination of one type A and one type B to save some space. Type A will still be plenty fast for most still capture. Video will go onto the Type B card.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
lickity split

mais51 wrote:

lickity split wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Gotcha, so the Z6/7 are low end bodies , if you keep that up you won’t be invited to the Nikon Christmas party... 👍👍

-- hide signature --

Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,380

John Card wrote:

I noticed that in the Canon announcement, and my first thought was the hope that it will drive cheaper CFX cards to market for us. Thank you Canon!

Exactly.  I don’t have any problem in using a XQD or CFexpress or whatever, as long as the price is right.

I only use and buy the $40 64GB SD and CF cards for my D4 and XT1 and when I was using the 36MP Pentax K1 I had zero problem with SD as well.  All that “reliability” nonsense with CF and SD mem cards have never affected me, ever, and I have shot Maybe about 300,000 up until this day with inexpensive cards with zero failures.  Maybe I’m just lucky.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,448

Batdude wrote:

John Card wrote:

I noticed that in the Canon announcement, and my first thought was the hope that it will drive cheaper CFX cards to market for us. Thank you Canon!

Exactly. I don’t have any problem in using a XQD or CFexpress or whatever, as long as the price is right.

I only use and buy the $40 64GB SD and CF cards for my D4 and XT1 and when I was using the 36MP Pentax K1 I had zero problem with SD as well. All that “reliability” nonsense with CF and SD mem cards have never affected me, ever, and I have shot Maybe about 300,000 up until this day with inexpensive cards with zero failures. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Same here. I have 3 or 4 XQDs, but a 160 mb/s CF in my D4s never slows down, I use some 95 mb/s SD cards in the D500 that never buffers out, and right now I have a 64gb 60mb/s SD card in my D850 that has never buffered out for the burst, at 9 fps, that I shoot.

I think it must be to gear heads, like a higher hp / higher torque engine is in a sports car to car guys. Except that IT'S NOT a high hp / torque engine it's a memory card. So I'm not impressed if someone runs the "wicked fast" CFX cards.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
OP MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,616

shuncheung wrote:

CFexpress (CFx) being the future isn't exactly news, as CFast is based on the Serial ATA interface which has reached its theoretical speed limit. .

What was to prevent Canon to create a new standard with the help of card manufacturers?

So it is news.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
John Card Forum Member • Posts: 58

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot.  If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it.  We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

John Card's gear list:John Card's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,448

John Card wrote:

I'm not even worried about the speed, I'd just prefer to have cheaper options to fill the current XQD slot. If that means CFx through a firmware update, so be it. We need to break the Sony monopoly on that card slot.

That should happen.  Cheaper options, I mean.

I think D850 and D500 is slated for a firmware update.  My D4s, if it doesn't get one, will be fine with the multiple 160mb/s CFs I have and my current XQDs.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
mais51

TOF guy wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

CFexpress (CFx) being the future isn't exactly news, as CFast is based on the Serial ATA interface which has reached its theoretical speed limit. .

What was to prevent Canon to create a new standard with the help of card manufacturers?

So it is news.

Canon is big but not that big to have their own standard - and no card manufacturers would be foolish enough to sink their money into producing a new card format just for Canon

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
mais51

lickity split wrote:

mais51 wrote:

lickity split wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Gotcha, so the Z6/7 are low end bodies , if you keep that up you won’t be invited to the Nikon Christmas party... 👍👍

Of course they are first generation and possibly low end or just advanced amateur cameras

As a D850 user I don’t see these cameras are advance enough to spend money on them - I have nothing against Nikon - The cameras simply don’t meet my expectations

OP MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,616

mais51 wrote:

Canon is big but not that big to have their own standard

Canon all types of cameras put together (excluding phones) holds at least a third of the market. That's enough pull to form a consortium around a new standard. Compare with XQD at its beginning : the market share behind XQD - a high end format for expensive cameras with little backing from manufacturers except Nikon - was much smaller.

- and no card manufacturers would be foolish enough to sink their money into producing a new card format just for Canon

And yet that is exactly what they did with CFast.. So the facts do not support your statement.

The reason why Canon is today behind CFExpress is likely time: CFast is not good enough for their new flagship dSLR, certainly not good enough for the future, and they need a fast card now for their new flagship camera.

Regardless the adoption of CFexpress by Canon is a good sign that we won't end up with a plethora of standards in the future.

-- hide signature --

mais51

TOF guy wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Canon all types of cameras put together (excluding phones) holds at least a third of the market. That's enough pull to form a consortium around a new standard. Compare with XQD at its beginning : the market share behind XQD - a high end format for expensive cameras with little backing from manufacturers except Nikon - was much smaller.

- and no card manufacturers would be foolish enough to sink their money into producing a new card format just for Canon

And yet that is exactly what they did with CFast.. So the facts do not support your statement.

The reason why Canon is today behind CFExpress is likely time: CFast is not good enough for their new flagship dSLR, certainly not good enough for the future, and they need a fast card now for their new flagship camera.

Regardless the adoption of CFexpress by Canon is a good sign that we won't end up with a plethora of standards in the future.

Sure that is why they have their fingers burnt supporting a dead end format - CFast was doomed from the beginning using old technology - CFx using PCI express serial data interface is the future Nikon saw that and sticks by it

Vincent O'Sullivan Regular Member • Posts: 368

Raul wrote:

lickity split wrote:

Does anyone still take “photos”?  😉

VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,503

TOF guy wrote:

mais51 wrote:

+1

Nikon gets enough grief, you'd think for once we could be unambiguously positive about this development in the market. XQD was very niche when Nikon introduced it; and a low point was reached when other card vendors exited the market and Sony had a monopoly on card supplies, without other camera makes taking up the standard, it might have been a dead end.

Now we have (1) the backwards-compatible CFE standard with no Sony IP stranglehold and more vendors shipping cards (2) an assurance it will be the future standard for fast cards with Canon switching

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads