Ditching the Old Body for a Hot New One

Started Oct 23, 2019 | Discussions
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,948
Ditching the Old Body for a Hot New One

I am thinking once again about the price of the E-M5 III. Like everyone I love it when the price of something I am interested in is, in my opinion, low and a great deal. Been like that my whole life. I love a bargain! ILC/system cameras are different than many other products though because most of us have more than one lens, a flash, batteries, etc. that are useless if we choose a different system. We are very fortunate with m4/3 to have 2 major companies making compatible bodies and lenses so that it is pretty easy to buy an Olympus body and a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses and then later decide the next body will be a Panasonic and we can still use the same lenses. Moving outside m4/3 (or whatever system you use) is where we find the rub. Doing that means getting new bodies, new lenses, new flashes, etc.

{Edit}

So, yeah, the U.S. price of $1200 for the E-M5 III is more than I like (costs more here in Japan), but I have a dozen m4/3 lenses, a flash, and several batteries of both types for my PEN-F, E-M10 II, E-M10, and E-M5. And I still love the size/weight of m4/3 and the great IBIS, and good lenses. That is why I got into m4/3 in 2012 and looking around it is STILL the best overall system for me. I haven't decided if at some point I will get an E-M5 III since all the improvements seem to be pretty much irrelevant for me, but like most people I sometimes like to get something new even if I don't need it. Unlike so many though I admit that rather than make tortured rationalizations about why I need to get it. I think self-honesty is a very useful trait.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,948
Re: Ditching the Old Body for a Hot New One

It is much like being married to a great wife for many years. You love her, get along great, maybe have children together, and have many wonderful shared experiences and memories. But, of course, over time she is not looking as hot as in earlier days. You may be tempted by a new model that does look hot, but then the cost will be half of all you own to your ex-wife, maybe child support, and a huge, painful, stressful disruption in your life. You go away to think about all this and come back home and discover that the Old Lady has gotten a total makeover while you were gone. The full works: breast enhancement, nips and tucks, new hairstyle, professional makeup, new wardrobe, and a whole new attitude. Jeez, she's looking pretty hot again. Sure, it cost a few bucks out of the family savings, but a whole lot cheaper than splitting up and moving on to the Hot, New Thing that in a few years will also be an Old Lady. And on top of that, the new model while looking hot didn't have as good a personality as the old model and she smokes, which you hate. On balance, it may be nicer and less expensive to just stay with the New, Updated Old Lady.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Bernard de Clairvaux Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
What ever you do...

Henry, Henry, Henry,

If u really r married (still ?) Do not let your wife read that...... Lol

Good Luck my friend

Best Regards,

Bernard

Re: What ever you do...

Bernard de Clairvaux wrote:

Henry, Henry, Henry,

If u really r married (still ?) Do not let your wife read that...... Lol

Good Luck my friend

Bernard, yes, I am married to a wonderful wife. I was not thinking about her, just in general to something that comes up with many men. The thought hit me this morning here in Japan that the brouhaha about the $1200 price of the new E-M5 III is much like this situation. Sure, for someone who is not already an m4/3 owner then I certainly can see that comparing to alternatives makes the choice difficult.

And thanks for the good luck wish.  I am always happy when good luck comes to me.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,634
Maybe the "Me, too" movement hasn't hit Japan yet (n/t)
 Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN E-P7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +13 more
Applies to all combination of relationships!

Henry Richardson wrote:

It is much like being married to a great wife for many years. You love her, get along great, maybe have children together, and have many wonderful shared experiences and memories. But, of course, over time she is not looking as hot as in earlier days. You may be tempted by a new model that does look hot, but then the cost will be half of all you own to your ex-wife, maybe child support, and a huge, painful, stressful disruption in your life. You go away to think about all this and come back home and discover that the Old Lady has gotten a total makeover while you were gone. The full works: breast enhancement, nips and tucks, new hairstyle, professional makeup, new wardrobe, and a whole new attitude. Jeez, she's looking pretty hot again. Sure, it cost a few bucks out of the family savings, but a whole lot cheaper than splitting up and moving on to the Hot, New Thing that in a few years will also be an Old Lady. And on top of that, the new model while looking hot didn't have as good a personality as the old model and she smokes, which you hate. On balance, it may be nicer and less expensive to just stay with the New, Updated Old Lady.

To be abundantly clear, this all applies to the Old Man too!  I naturally wrote from the perspective of a man, but it equally applies to the opposite perspective of a woman.  Or 2 men, 2 women, 2 transgenders, 2 questioning, etc.  I am sure I have left someone out.  Please do not be offended if I chose the wrong pronoun for someone.  It wasn't intentional.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Bernard de Clairvaux Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Who's They

ttps://youtu.be/3F1d3QWsyk0

I always think of this, hearing this voice in my head

gary0319
gary0319 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,142

Henry Richardson wrote:

Can’t wait for the sequel, Henry......

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
HRC2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

Giving up what works for something new is a poor character flaw. That doesn't matter if it's a relationship or an item.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
G Rash Senior Member • Posts: 2,890

Henry Richardson wrote:

It is much like being married to a great wife for many years.

Well, no. A very good, entertaining read, though. If you have the budget for it, you can have as many wives or cameras as you'd like. Unlike wives, you don't have to get rid of a previous camera in order to get a new camera. And that's why I have a 3 mp Kodak on a shelf right beside a Canon S50 and Olympus C7070.  I've sold several bodies over the years, but I've kept some of the ones I really enjoyed.

I will admit, however, that my D70 went to the ex wife in divorce. I kept the D300 and D700, though, so I didn't feel to bad about giving up the D70.

-
Gary

G Rash's gear list:G Rash's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R III Canon EOS R5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more

gary0319 wrote:

Can’t wait for the sequel, Henry......

I start it, but it would be great for you to finish it.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,354

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am thinking once again about the price of the E-M5 III. Like everyone I love it when the price of something I am interested in is, in my opinion, low and a great deal. Been like that my whole life. I love a bargain! ILC/system cameras are different than many other products though because most of us have more than one lens, a flash, batteries, etc. that are useless if we choose a different system. We are very fortunate with m4/3 to have 2 major companies making compatible bodies and lenses so that it is pretty easy to buy an Olympus body and a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses and then later decide the next body will be a Panasonic and we can still use the same lenses. Moving outside m4/3 (or whatever system you use) is where we find the rub. Doing that means getting new bodies, new lenses, new flashes, etc.

{Edit}

So, yeah, the U.S. price of $1200 for the E-M5 III is more than I like (costs more here in Japan), but I have a dozen m4/3 lenses, a flash, and several batteries of both types for my PEN-F, E-M10 II, E-M10, and E-M5. And I still love the size/weight of m4/3 and the great IBIS, and good lenses. That is why I got into m4/3 in 2012 and looking around it is STILL the best overall system for me. I haven't decided if at some point I will get an E-M5 III since all the improvements seem to be pretty much irrelevant for me, but like most people I sometimes like to get something new even if I don't need it. Unlike so many though I admit that rather than make tortured rationalizations about why I need to get it. I think self-honesty is a very useful trait.

I get the whole "being honest with yourself" thing, but isn't that just another way of justifying something that you admittedly don't need? A far better trait is to learn to be happy with what you have, and learn to get the best out of it IMHO. It's frequently the case that some of the best work I've seen has been from people who have used the same gear for years and know it inside out, so I try to take my inspiration from that example.

Down the rabbit hole :-)

absquatulate wrote:

I get the whole "being honest with yourself" thing, but isn't that just another way of justifying something that you admittedly don't need? A far better trait is to learn to be happy with what you have, and learn to get the best out of it IMHO. It's frequently the case that some of the best work I've seen has been from people who have used the same gear for years and know it inside out, so I try to take my inspiration from that example.

No. If someone decides they want something that they know they don't need then there is no need for excuses to one's self. When you get right down to it none of us need hardly anything. Enough warmth not to freeze, enough food not to starve, etc. So, even you with your camera have more than you need. It almost sounds like you are rationalizing/fetishizing using what you have. I think we are going down the rabbit hole now. Time to drop this, I think.

I would like the E-M5 III more if it had a tilt rear screen like my E-M5, E-M10, and E-M10 II. Instead it has a tilt/swivel screen like my PEN-F and G3. I hope that the wakeup/startup speed hasfinally been speeded up. My PEN-F is the slowest, I think, but my other Olympus bodies are very slow too. The old G3 I bought in early 2012 is the fastest, but I don't use it anymore. I will visit a camera store when the E-M5 III is out and check the wakeup/startup speed. If it has been speeded up then that will really be the main thing I have been hoping for since I got my E-M5 in May 2012.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,354
Re: Down the rabbit hole :-)

Henry Richardson wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

No. If someone decides they want something that they know they don't need then there is no need for excuses to one's self. When you get right down to it none of us need hardly anything. Enough warmth not to freeze, enough food not to starve, etc. So, even you with your camera have more than you need. It almost sounds like you are rationalizing/fetishizing using what you have. I think we are going down the rabbit hole now. Time to drop this, I think.

Interesting, the reason I responded to this particular post is I am curious about the rational for posting it. Basically it appeared to be an appeal to virtue, in that you know you don't need a new camera, but you're getting one because you can, and justifying that because in your words "At least I'm being honest about it", and essentially accusing others of being less honest in that respect. There are obviously different levels of "need", equating food and shelter, or even other slightly less essential things, to buying a new camera is a real stretch. If photography is my hobby, I need a camera, that's completely different to buying a camera you don't need when you already have one. This was followed up by accusing me of exactly what you did, which is definitely being less than honest IMHO.

I would like the E-M5 III more if it had a tilt rear screen like my E-M5, E-M10, and E-M10 II. Instead it has a tilt/swivel screen like my PEN-F and G3. I hope that the wakeup/startup speed hasfinally been speeded up. My PEN-F is the slowest, I think, but my other Olympus bodies are very slow too. The old G3 I bought in early 2012 is the fastest, but I don't use it anymore. I will visit a camera store when the E-M5 III is out and check the wakeup/startup speed. If it has been speeded up then that will really be the main thing I have been hoping for since I got my E-M5 in May 2012.

You've further compounded your own rabbit hole by now using a "tortured rationalisation" to possibly justify your impending purchase, something you proudly proclaimed you didn't need to do.

I find posts like these bizarre in the same I find the "Convince me why I need to buy camera/lens XYZ" posts bizarre. It's the "honesty" proclamation aspect of it that I'm challenging. The reason for making such a post could be any one of a number of reasons, "I can afford to buy a new camera I don't need so I am", or "I like shiny new things" or any number of reasons known only to yourself. Personally I don't care why you're buying this camera, but your justification, which you apparently don't need anyway, but then later inserted, doesn't strike me as "honest" at all. That's the bit should you probably have just left out. In my experience people love to talk about "honesty" but get extremely uncomfortably when they're challenged on it, which is ironic to say the least. If you're setting yourself up as being more honest than other people, you should expect to be challenged on that assumption.

As for the "rabbit hole", it's a rabbit hole you created with your post, and as is often the case, self-created rabbit holes are the most uncomfortable of all.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

HRC2016 wrote:

Giving up what works for something new is a poor character flaw. That doesn't matter if it's a relationship or an item.

What a boring attitude.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads