Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
addlightness Senior Member • Posts: 3,122
Get back to us when FujiFilm switch to Carbon Fiber

meanwhile I prefer plastic as I prefer lighter weight.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
Androole Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Re: Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

Jeff wrote:

If you can have

• lower cost
  • quality
  • titanium

but can pick just two, which two would you prefer? Keep in mind that others may choose differently.

On an electronic camera with a relatively short practical lifetime (i.e. perhaps 10 years) the idea of creating 'heirloom' devices with expensive and exotic materials feels a bit crass to me, if we're honest.

It's just consumerist fetishism. And terribly wasteful.

Androole's gear list:Androole's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 YI M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +3 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,101

LoneTree1 wrote:

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body. Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days. Yes, I know. The Fuji costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

Really? About time. I don't know how many shots I've missed due to a non-titanium body.

Does Fuji make ice hockey helmets? I'd like to replace my plastic one with titanium.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,158

Androole wrote:

Jeff wrote:

If you can have

• lower cost
  • quality
  • titanium

but can pick just two, which two would you prefer? Keep in mind that others may choose differently.

On an electronic camera with a relatively short practical lifetime (i.e. perhaps 10 years) the idea of creating 'heirloom' devices with expensive and exotic materials feels a bit crass to me, if we're honest.

Well said.

I'm not sure how much attention any of the camera makers give to the recyclability of their devices.  The issue of electronic waste is very real.  Personally, I'd score it a plus if manufacturers gave it at least some consideration.

Polycarbonate is actually quite a good engineering material well suited to the application, and also recycles well.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,678

Hope the strap lugs don't start falling out of the plastic anchors.

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Dr. Noodle
Dr. Noodle Senior Member • Posts: 2,845

EM5 mark IV will be made from hard cardboard highly engineered and environmentally friendly coming from mcdonalds recycled  junk...!!!

And yes will be better than any metal

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Dr. Noodle's gear list:Dr. Noodle's gear list
7artisans 12mm F2.8
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 2,128

Androole wrote:

Jeff wrote:

If you can have

• lower cost
  • quality
  • titanium

Exactly. And the Fuji isn't made out of titanium, it has a titanium plate so other than aesthetics, it seems rather pointless.

As far as I know, the only titanium bodies were/are the Hassys that went to the moon (NASA budget, enough said), the Leica M9 ($29,000) and the OMD Ti (?). I believe Nikon  made some titanium bodies based of the F2 for NASA also. I cant imagine too many Fuji's will be going into space.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,327

Searching wrote:

Hope the strap lugs don't start falling out of the plastic anchors.

It's a good thing the EM1i was magnesium, so that could never happen. (Oh, wait ... )

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II
LoneTree1
OP LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Re: Olympus gets an LCD, Fuji gets a thumbnail view experience

Albert Valentino wrote:

There is nothing at all wrong with strong plastic. Metal is nice on a flagship body like the XPro or EM1. Fuji lacks IBIS which is tricky on prime lenses - you can crank up the ISO which then cranks down the DR. EM5 gets a big LCD to show your friends your pictures, while Fuji Pro3 has done away with a large LCD.

We have choice, and choice is good πŸ˜ƒ

I would like to do away with LCDs and solely have EVFs, personally.

LoneTree1
OP LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Re: enough with the metal obsession

TomFid wrote:

Are you going to pound nails with your camera?

Personally, I'm happy to have polycarbonate. It won't frost up as much in cold weather, and the black edges won't wear off.

I'm much more worried about breaking a lens, lens mount, LCD panel, or control dial than I am about breaking the body itself.

I admit that there's a certain allure to the feel of metal, but I don't think it's particularly rational, and I don't need it to stroke my ego.

It's not an obsession, it's a trend.  Bodies cost more, now more are metal.  Olympus inexplicably is bucking it.

JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 6,087
Re: Ferrari gets titanium, GM gets...steel?

String wrote:

Yes, I know. The Ferrari costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

I've driven a couple of Ferraris. Rotten cars ...

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
Re: Olympus gets an LCD, Fuji gets a thumbnail view experience

LoneTree1 wrote:

Albert Valentino wrote:

There is nothing at all wrong with strong plastic. Metal is nice on a flagship body like the XPro or EM1. Fuji lacks IBIS which is tricky on prime lenses - you can crank up the ISO which then cranks down the DR. EM5 gets a big LCD to show your friends your pictures, while Fuji Pro3 has done away with a large LCD.

We have choice, and choice is good πŸ˜ƒ

I would like to do away with LCDs and solely have EVFs, personally.

You would lose the whole advantage of digital cameras. Whereas the EVF is fine for exposure for the most part, not having the ability to view the image when using magnified view means you might miss DOF focus issues. In addition in nature images you can view on the spot bird and plant details that enable identification or illustration.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399

Mitrajoon wrote:

The plastic used is as strong as Titanium and bounces better.

Uh-uh.  Yeah.  Right.

I'm sure the aerospace industry will quickly, and heartily, not agree with that claim.

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,638
Useless

LoneTree1 wrote:

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body. Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days. Yes, I know. The Fuji costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

So exactly what Olympus lenses do you plan on putting on a Fuji, or is this just another useless post as usual. No need to answer, I already know the answer

Danny.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,143
Except xpro3 also has an LCD ;-) (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

pdelux Contributing Member • Posts: 857
Re: Titanium?

HRC2016 wrote:

Why would anyone need titanium? Bragging rights?

Just go out and take pictures.

Obviously he is taking Astro shots ---- in space..

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

drj3 wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

And you get a camera that is 73 grams heavier which does not have IBIS where the shorter focal length lenses are without OIS. No thanks.

At least it's worth the weight. Can't say the same with the EM5 with it's older sensor, Plastic body, that should be $899 tops. I have a XPro 2, In low light, I could still outperform any M43 camera when it comes to stills. My Primes top any M43 primes easily. Heck, I'll put my Fujicrons against any M43 primes.

I do have an E5, E-M1.1 and E-M1.2 which are metal, but my old fully plastic 10+ year old E510 used as much as the others, looks as good as the metal cameras and still works as well as it did when new.

-- hide signature --

drj3

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399
Re: Titanium?

pdelux wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Why would anyone need titanium? Bragging rights?

Just go out and take pictures.

Obviously he is taking Astro shots ---- in space..

Ironic how quickly the tide turns to supporting plastics, when for the past 7 years on this board the metal construction of many Olympus cameras was enthusiastically advanced as a major selling point over the competition...

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,984
Fuji opts for artificial price / artificial value hike

LoneTree1 wrote:

If Nikon had issued the X-Pro3 w/ titanium top plate, people would be SMEARING them with sniggers, laughs and mud, found one million reasons why such a camera is badly designed, larger than some FF mirrorless, adds premium materials only to inflate the price on components that basically cost $500.

That would be people's take on Nikon X-Pro3.

But many do not realise the Fujifilm actually did that: added totally nonessential finish as an excuse to raise the asking price, on what is, in essence, LESS and more complicated than found in their other cameras that cost less and are easier to use.

With E-M5Mk3, though, Olympus did the opposite; they created a new category of a camera, for those users that appreciate image taking power in the lightest package possible. I like this approach better because the goal and execution are excellent, and down to earth.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Leica X2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,460

MrALLCAPS wrote:

drj3 wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

And you get a camera that is 73 grams heavier which does not have IBIS where the shorter focal length lenses are without OIS. No thanks.

At least it's worth the weight. Can't say the same with the EM5 with it's older sensor, Plastic body, that should be $899 tops. I have a XPro 2, In low light, I could still outperform any M43 camera when it comes to stills. My Primes top any M43 primes easily. Heck, I'll put my Fujicrons against any M43 primes.

I'll take the mFTs where I can hand hold my 12-100 at 1 second and shoot hand held at 600mm on the 2X crop at 1/10 second. Maybe in the next generation Fuji will develop a dual IBIS/OIS combination and a sharp long telephoto lens.

Until then I well stay with mFTs where I get stabilization with all lenses and dual stabilization with the recent long Pro lenses.

The Xt3 Pro does appear to be a good camera when the light is good or when you want to use a tripod.

Attached is an uncropped image of a deer at 1/10 second hand held 600mm (800mm on your Fuji). Show me a better hand held still at equivalent shutter speed/FOV with your XPro2.

I do have an E5, E-M1.1 and E-M1.2 which are metal, but my old fully plastic 10+ year old E510 used as much as the others, looks as good as the metal cameras and still works as well as it did when new.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads