Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,600
Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body.  Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days.  Yes, I know.  The Fuji costs more.  Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

Mitrajoon Senior Member • Posts: 2,005
Re: Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

The plastic used is as strong as Titanium and bounces better.

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,974
Olympus gets an LCD, Fuji gets a thumbnail view experience

There is nothing at all wrong with strong plastic. Metal is nice on a flagship body like the XPro or EM1. Fuji lacks IBIS which is tricky on prime lenses - you can crank up the ISO which then cranks down the DR. EM5 gets a big LCD to show your friends your pictures, while Fuji Pro3 has done away with a large LCD.

We have choice, and choice is good 😃

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +6 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,792
Titanium?

Why would anyone need titanium? Bragging rights?

Just go out and take pictures.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,301

LoneTree1 wrote:

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body. Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days. Yes, I know. The Fuji costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

And you get a camera that is 73 grams heavier which does not have IBIS where the shorter focal length lenses are without OIS.  No thanks.

I do have an E5, E-M1.1 and E-M1.2 which are metal, but my old fully plastic 10+ year old E510 used as much as the others, looks as good as the metal cameras and still works as well as it did when new.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,828

LoneTree1 wrote:

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body. Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days. Yes, I know. The Fuji costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

It's titanium for the top and bottom plates, magnesium for the main body, apparently. I see the two scratch-proof Dura coated varieties cost $200US/£180UK (etc.) more than the standard black enamelled version.  But have you seen the shots of them at the launch (and Chris and Jordan's DPReview.tv video)? That scratch-proof finish and its extra price buys you a skin oil magnet (so to speak!)...  I can be rather shallow at times and that would really bother me.  Not that I'm ever in danger of wanting that particular Fuji as the unique approach to the monitor would not be ideal for me, even though I like using eye-level viewfinders.

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,973
Great if you think a titanium body is essential

Not if you are aware that plastic nowadays can be extremely solid and strong and do not need a titanium feel or look.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,736
How does that Fuji feels in your hands?

or how does the new plastic E-M5 III feels in your hands? You  and I don't know in either cases. But I know how the titanium OM-4T felt in my hands because I owned one; for your information, it felt just like my E-M1 and my E--M1 II which bodies made of magnesium. All can take great pictures in capable hands.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 2,121
Re: Ferrari gets titanium, GM gets...steel?

Yes, I know. The Ferrari costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,572

I treasure my titanium-clad T-series and G-series Contax cameras. Gorgeous picture-making machines with impeccable Zeiss lenses. And we all know what happened to Contax.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 476

LoneTree1 wrote:

So titanium improves our images? Or does there need to be a titanium alloy with some platinum mixed in too?

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,301
Re: Ferrari gets titanium, GM gets...steel?

String wrote:

Yes, I know. The Ferrari costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

I didn't know that Corvettes had fiberglass bodies as a cost-cutting measure!

I think a better comparison would be a military vehicle vs an SUV.  One is stronger, the other better for most situations.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
tenthwashfree Regular Member • Posts: 141
OM G

yes just feels good, got to love your camera, give me a digital OM4ti or Contax G2 and take my money.

TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238
enough with the metal obsession

Are you going to pound nails with your camera?

Personally, I'm happy to have polycarbonate. It won't frost up as much in cold weather, and the black edges won't wear off.

I'm much more worried about breaking a lens, lens mount, LCD panel, or control dial than I am about breaking the body itself.

I admit that there's a certain allure to the feel of metal, but I don't think it's particularly rational, and I don't need it to stroke my ego.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Androole Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
Re: enough with the metal obsession

TomFid wrote:

Are you going to pound nails with your camera?

Personally, I'm happy to have polycarbonate. It won't frost up as much in cold weather, and the black edges won't wear off.

Hopefully the black version of the E-M5 III uses black moulded resin, not paint. The silver is clearly paint, so will look pretty beat up after a few years.

Not that the looks matter particularly. It will still work just fine.

I'm much more worried about breaking a lens, lens mount, LCD panel, or control dial than I am about breaking the body itself.

I admit that there's a certain allure to the feel of metal, but I don't think it's particularly rational, and I don't need it to stroke my ego.

Androole's gear list:Androole's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 YI M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +3 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,051

LoneTree1 wrote:

If people are already put off by the EM5.3's USD1200 price, adding the cost of titanium isn't going to improve things.

Re: enough with the metal obsession

Two of my three E-series Olys are described as "glass fiber reinforced plastic" and before buying I went and hefted, held, bent, twisted and tortured samples in comparison with other makers' offerings. (Back when everything was tethered to the counter at many stores, large and small.) I found the Olys to be very solid with no flexing or creaking as was very evident in several other makers' cameras. These were heavily handled cameras, not fresh-as-a-daisy newborns out of the box. In use they remain just fine.

So I decided right there that specs off of a page mean little compared to a hands-on investigation. I would also remind doubters the M5iii is the first Oly ILC to have a plastic chassis fitted with weathersealing. It must necessarily be dimensionally stable to retain integrity.

Still like my solid metal cameras but I will consider either approach in the future, without prejudice.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,131

If you can have

• lower cost
  • quality
  • titanium

but can pick just two, which two would you prefer?  Keep in mind that others may choose differently.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
gsergei Contributing Member • Posts: 842
this is a waste of titanium

these cameras will go to the landfill in 10 years anyway for most of the users (not me).

-- hide signature --

Sergei,
Calgary.

gsergei's gear list:gsergei's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Re: this is a waste of titanium

Fair point. At the end of the day, digicams are consumer electronics and while they have longer service lives than smartphones the march of technology tends to shove them aside before they fail or wear out. Titanium-skinned lenses perhaps make more sense, if anything.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads