See my work here: https://fullspectrumguy.com

Thyrymn's gear list:Thyrymn's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7 Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-H1
bathgate
bathgate Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
Re: Waterfall, Infrared, irchrome

Impressive effect.  I like it.

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Gman58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,293

Love it! Can you explain how you did this effect in PP.

Thanks

Gary

Gman58's gear list:Gman58's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 848

Sweet shot. Usually the 10 to 24 is terrible at infrared, especially at F-18! Did you have a hotspot? If so how did you deal with it?

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
OP Thyrymn Forum Member • Posts: 71

Couple things:

1) Not tons of photoshop here.  It's a blend of three long exposure with IRchrome filter on a full spectrum converted camera.   I bumped the turquoise as that was a surprise and looked nice -- I've not had a river do that with the irChrome filter before.  I muted the moss on the right rocks.  I dodge and burned a few spots too.  The full spectrum with the irchome filter gives the color.

The aerochrome film was often used to detect health of vegetation; I suspect moss is the most healthy vegetation in the world as it is universally bright red.

2)  The 10-24 isn't super bad at lower IR wavelengths.  I did a bunch of 950nm shots too to see the hotspot issues and it's bad there.  I get away without a hotspot on the irChrome filter its pretty low as IR filters go and it's somewhat of a combo filter.  I do ok with the 10-24 on f4-f5.6 on 720 as well before a bad hotspot.

Here is a 950 at f/4 and the hotspot is obvious.  I can usually edit my way out of it if I'm so inclined but its pretty time consuming and I'm better off using a set of Konica lenses I have.

-- hide signature --

See my work here: https://fullspectrumguy.com

Thyrymn's gear list:Thyrymn's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7 Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-H1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads