There will be a brief outage for database maintenance in approximately 2 hour(s) 33 minutes

? Variable ND filters + Polarizer ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,057
? Variable ND filters + Polarizer ?

I assume that variable ND (neutral density) filters are made by using two polarizing filters, rotating against each other. (Yes, no?) If yes, does this mean that one cannot use a circular polarizing filter, in combination with a variable ND filter? Bottom line question: can both be used simultaneously? Thank you.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Contributing Member • Posts: 913
Re: ? Variable ND filters + Polarizer ?

RUcrAZ wrote:

I assume that variable ND (neutral density) filters are made by using two polarizing filters, rotating against each other. (Yes, no?)

No. Neutral Density does not equate to polarization.

If yes, does this mean that one cannot use a circular polarizing filter, in combination with a variable ND filter? Bottom line question: can both be used simultaneously? Thank you.

Yes, they can be used together, Breakthrough Photography even offers a CPL/ND combo filter.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Breakthrough-Photography-X4-Dark-CPL-Filter.aspx

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
RUcrAZ
OP RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,057

I am not sure that my question (about "variable" ND filters) was answered. In the past, I have successfully used ND filters in combination with plain ND filters.

ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,767

RUcrAZ wrote:

I assume that variable ND (neutral density) filters are made by using two polarizing filters, rotating against each other. (Yes, no?) If yes, does this mean that one cannot use a circular polarizing filter, in combination with a variable ND filter? Bottom line question: can both be used simultaneously? Thank you.

Yes, variable NDs are made of two polarizers. Adding a third polarizer will lead to unpredictable and undesirable results.

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,204

Your first comment is correct.

From Hoya :

The variable neutral density effect is created by employing two polarizing filters within one filter design. That is 2 pieces of glass and 2 layers of polarizing film creating 8 surfaces within the filter. As light passes through a low-quality filter it will bounce around those 8 layers within the filter degrading sharpness, contrast, and clarity. So using low quality glass, polarizing films, and little to no multi-coatings, like most low-cost competitors, will wreak havoc on your pictures.

The Solas NDX uses the highest quality optical glass, super-thin optical grade polarizing films, and multiple layers of Hoya’s patented multi-coatings on each of the 4 sides of glass. The result is a sharp, glare-free filter that produces superior quality images you can trust.

http://solasndx.hoyafilterusa.com/

BTW, there is at least one type that clims to offer variable ND and full PL at the same time but it comes in only two sizes :

https://www.genustech.tv/Polarizer-ND-Variable-Filter-s/177.htm

from the depolarisation comments I read on the first Hoya link I posted, my assumption is that using VND and PL on top is not a good idea, but I don't have direct experience with this.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,204

Horoscope Fish wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

I assume that variable ND (neutral density) filters are made by using two polarizing filters, rotating against each other. (Yes, no?)

If yes, does this mean that one cannot use a circular polarizing filter, in combination with a variable ND filter? Bottom line question: can both be used simultaneously? Thank you.

Yes, they can be used together, Breakthrough Photography even offers a CPL/ND combo filter.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Breakthrough-Photography-X4-Dark-CPL-Filter.aspx

ND and Variable ND filters are not made the same way.

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

Yes, variable NDs are made of two polarizers. Adding a third polarizer will lead to unpredictable and undesirable results.

I believe Zodiac is correct.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 2,313

RUcrAZ wrote:

I did use a CPL filter on top of a variable ND filter. Not that I needed polarization very much but the CPL darkened the exposure a bit and I needed a longer exposure time.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,259

Horoscope Fish wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

Actually the OP is correct - variable ND filters are essentially 2 CP filters stacked.

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,816

RUcrAZ wrote:

I have stacked a variable ND over a CPL and it worked, but it was such a pain to adjust and control that  I prefer using the standard ND for stacking.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads