How many actually print larger than a 4x6 if at all?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,444
Re: How many actually print larger than a 4x6 if at all?

Thanks.  I shot from the Snake River Overlook which is a great shooting location.

-- hide signature --
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,664

marksee wrote:

That's probably unusual and part of my reason for asking. I also will print an occasional 12x18 but mostly 4x6 for posterity. I hope I get enough answers to get an idea of the percentage if members serious enough to print. With all of the discussions in these forums about comparing cameras and specs I'm wondering why, since I believe most don't even print. Maybe just share with family and online.

You reference "all of these forums" and you ask the question in the Canon Powershot forum?   Seems either naive or intentional...  not sure which.   I print larger than 4x6 frequently but that frequency goes down dramatically if we're just talking about my G5X.

Funkyd3121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,644

I have my Pro lab print 8x12's & 12x18's - about to get a 16x20 done(from my 30D).  The 8x12's were from my 3 DSLR's, my Samsung cell phone, & one 12x18 was done from my Powershot G15. I also had 1 12x18 done from my cell phone - came out looking great.

Funkyd3121's gear list:Funkyd3121's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D +9 more
Wingsfan
Wingsfan Regular Member • Posts: 356

Other than casual photos of family and friends, most of what I print is between 8x10 and 13x19" ( that's as large as either of my printers go). Most of  my photography is landscape or static shots, and even my 10 mp XZ1 looks great at the larger size.

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix 4100 Panasonic ZS100 +17 more
DuckShots
DuckShots Contributing Member • Posts: 628

I print all the time. Have a monthly shoot with my wife. I shoot her and she shoots me and I shoot the two of us. Print 11x17. I regularly shoot self-portraits. Print 11x17. I shoot people at work and street people. Print 8.5x11 and send or deliver copies. Have had several shows of my street work, all printed and framed by me. I have several projects I am working on, stills, surrealism, flowers. Prints of varying sizes. Albums galore. Love to print.

DuckShots's gear list:DuckShots's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,361

Good post.

-- hide signature --

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon G9 X II Sony RX1R Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV +12 more
OP marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 779

I'm generally only interested in this forum. I find I can reach as many or more people here as I can in any other forum, so I stick to the one I follow and the forum people I read the most. Besides Powershot users is who I directed my question to as they use small cameras. Hope you can sleep better now.

marksee wrote:

I'm generally only interested in this forum. I find I can reach as many or more people here as I can in any other forum, so I stick to the one I follow and the forum people I read the most. Besides Powershot users is who I directed my question to as they use small cameras. Hope you can sleep better now.

This is your comment.....

With all of the discussions in these forums about comparing cameras and specs I'm wondering why, since I believe most don't even print. Maybe just share with family and online.

Notice you said these forums... but if you're only talking about the Powershot forum then I'd be curious to know what data or what references you're using to conclude that Powershot users want more resolution?

Now you've done it!!!

AllFlawed Contributing Member • Posts: 584

I have done A4 prints off 1/2.3" cameras which look fine.

A lot of this only suitable for web viewing and for 4x6 is on the whole brainless cut and paste internet woffle and really not worth the time of day.

AllFlawed's gear list:AllFlawed's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +2 more

What I thought..... much ado about nothing at all. Not only do most Powershot users not print large but most don't ask for more resolution. You might as well be asking members of the Nissan Altima forum if they really drive off road or not.

You're killin me here. Now I have to find the Nissan forum and ask that question. I didn't care before, but now I do, and I've forgotten my original post. Oh yeh, I asked because I was just curious why so many in the Powershot forum are so critical of performance considering I didn't expect them to print large or at all. A lot of answers were that they do, but they be the only ones answering.  So it's all for moot, but thanks to you I had some fun in the process. Hoping to hear from you in my next ridiculous posts. Chow...

marksee wrote:

You're killin me here. Now I have to find the Nissan forum and ask that question. I didn't care before, but now I do, and I've forgotten my original post. Oh yeh, I asked because I was just curious why so many in the Powershot forum are so critical of performance considering I didn't expect them to print large or at all. A lot of answers were that they do, but they be the only ones answering. So it's all for moot, but thanks to you I had some fun in the process. Hoping to hear from you in my next ridiculous posts. Chow...

Your question wasn't that ridiculous until it was combined with your answers.... like this one for instance.

With all of the discussions in these forums about comparing cameras and specs I'm wondering why, since I believe most don't even print.

Like you, I also believe most Nissan Altima owners don't take their Altima offroad....

Ok, time to pick on someone else now.  I'm bored...….

marksee wrote:

Ok, time to pick on someone else now. I'm bored...….

I'm not picking on anyone....    you started the thread and apparently only wanted people to pat you on the back for your witty observation and when someone questions your logic you whine and cry instead of attempting any kind of reasonable response.

Omg!! could you see me?...………………….

CaNikonianite
CaNikonianite Forum Member • Posts: 81
5x7

This is my preferred print size on my Canon iP110 color printer.

Asla
Asla Contributing Member • Posts: 518

Hi!

Haven't print a photo from my powershots for ages! But with A700/A710is and A650 I printed mainly 10x15cm and 20x30cm. Sometimes 30x40cm. They printed out very well...

A s l a

feddon
feddon Regular Member • Posts: 186

I agree my grown up children take hundreds of photos on their mobile phones but very rarely do they print. People interested in photography seem to talk alot about specs etc but probably only print the odd picture ? Personally i can spend hours most days outside with my camera and i print 100's of photos in a4 a3 and a3+ sizes. I use cheap paper and cheap ink. I need to feel and look at my photos in decent resolution rather than on a low res monitor. see attached photo.

My problem is where to display them , i wanted to paper the spare bedroom with them i bought the glue , i won't tell you what the wife said. The egret middle left is at the top of a pile of about 300 A4 prints . I think this is the only way to see a quality photo rather than pixel peeping on a monitor.

But as i have said whats the best way to display photographs?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138116018@N04/

feddon's gear list:feddon's gear list
Canon G3 X Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads