How many actually print larger than a 4x6 if at all?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 775
How many actually print larger than a 4x6 if at all?

Just curious.  Thanks

NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 697
Re: How many actually print larger than a 4x6 if at all?

I do, but very infrequently. 8x10 is about as large as I go.

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,354

Yes I do. My top size has become 12 X 18 if I find a shot interesting. I store them in Itoya 13 x 19 books which I file by category. I use WhiteWall and Mpix.  For 8 x 10, 5 x 7 and 4 x 6 sizes I normally print at home.

-- hide signature --

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica X2 Sony RX100 Leica X Vario +12 more
OP marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 775

That's probably unusual and part of my reason for asking.  I also will print an occasional 12x18 but mostly 4x6 for posterity. I hope I get enough answers to get an idea of the percentage if members serious enough to print. With all of the discussions in these forums about comparing cameras and specs I'm wondering why, since I believe most don't even print. Maybe just share with family and online.

FerruginousHawk Regular Member • Posts: 370

I’ve printed some at 16x20, a few smaller.

-- hide signature --
btrons Regular Member • Posts: 313

I often print A4, 21x29 cm!

btrons's gear list:btrons's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90
Chris Hohne Regular Member • Posts: 362

If you are referring strictly to my Canon PowerShot photos, I print some photos from my G9 up to 12X18, but mostly 9X12.  Lately I have been doing mostly aluminum prints.

If you are referring to all photography, I print several photos larger than 4X6.  I do a lot of 16X24 and have done some 24X36.  I also do a lot of 10X20 prints for some automotive photography I do.  Again, I have been doing mostly aluminum prints lately.

Chris

Jay08816 Regular Member • Posts: 217

Photography is almost all done now while traveling. Post pictures on Facebook while traveling. Afterwards I do some 4 x 6 prints, which get put in a frame and hung on a "travel wall." Have done some 5x7 and 8x10, but that's unusual. (Incidentally, even phone or small-sensor camera pictures are fine for my purposes.)

Charlie BRM
Charlie BRM Junior Member • Posts: 43

This might sound odd, but I only take pictures so there is something to put on clients' websites I create, since they often don't have suitable images of their own; i.e. non-existent or unusable. That includes websites for a restaurant, live music spot, fishing tournaments, charities, and sculptors. So I make on location shots, not studio.

BUT - On several occasions lately they've ended up using the images for print material. So I guess they like them but I wish they'd tell me that up front and I would take it into consideration when shooting and editing. I'm only putting in time and expenses on gear, time used per subject, etc. to keep the costs reasonable for website use.

Print applications have included a series of 10 at full page size in a glossy 9x11 portfolio, a 5x7 booklet cover, and a pending poster I think is going to be approx. 24" x 30+"

I'm only using a SX50HS for crying out loud. LOL. I bought that because for website stuff I think it's enough. I've been out of photography a long time, income from photography for me, is not what it used to be and the Powershots avoid me getting sucked back into the expense of multiple DSLR lenses, because like guitars, if you just had that one more, you'd be happy (for awhile).

Charlie BRM's gear list:Charlie BRM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +7 more
nolten Regular Member • Posts: 455

We've made a few 16X20" prints from my images, mostly as gifts to friends and family that expressed strong likes for a particular image. For my own use, my 15MP/5K 27" P3 monitor is the best way to look at my images. I have over 5000 images in my favorites list. The detail is stunning. One of these days we'll upgrade our TV to 4K high color gamut and fill a room with them.

Wonder how many gallons of ink it would take to print all those?

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II
cardboardbox Junior Member • Posts: 29

When my wife and I bought our house, she wanted to hang art on the walls. I wasn't overly fond of the idea (for several reasons), so suggested that we get our travel pictures printed and put those up.

She went with the idea and now we have about 20 pictures framed and mounted, some of which are small-ish (6x8), others are much, much bigger -- we have one that's 30x40 that's a framed canvas print.

They look great on our walls and they make a bit of a conversation piece when people come to visit.

cardboardbox Junior Member • Posts: 29

I responded later in the thread, but thought this was worth responding to, as well.

I'm generally in agreement with what you're getting at. That there's so much focus on pixel peeping and camera specs when most people just share their pictures over a medium that barely requires it.

For me, I do print large sometimes, and even then I don't need the fanciest camera to make it work. All of my big prints are from my G1X mk II with its supposed soft lens. At 12 MP, it's hardly what many here would consider to be "satisfactory" to blow up to a 30x40. Yet, despite that, everyone I've ever showed my pictures too are thoroughly impressed -- so it works for me!

Lancaster
Lancaster Forum Member • Posts: 94

If I am going to print then I will most likely be doing so at "16x20" and larger. I have several on my walls that are "24x36" and occasionally larger.

I do not print often but when the image demands it I ship my post-processed file to a commercial printer.

I have good print hanging locations throughout my house and when I print a new photo I will swap it for one that has been hanging in a frame. I rotate out about one or two every couple of months. Once in a while I will get an image that doesn't lend itself to the plain black glass-frames I have and is more suited to canvas or even a plain borderless foam board.

The main cameras for these images are usually a Canon Mark II (excellent IQ) or a Nikon D7200. Subjects are usually but not mostly, wildlife and landscape. I have also printed large quite nicely from a Samsung S10e, but depends on the image.

-- hide signature --

Rick Grant
Calgary

Lancaster's gear list:Lancaster's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G7 X II Canon PowerShot SX730 HS Nikon D7200 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +2 more
NSCameraGuy New Member • Posts: 9

8x10

OP marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Thanks Charlie, thanks for your thoughtful meaningful response. I also have an SX50 as one of my cameras and I know I can print an 8x12 if the subject matter is right. Viewing distance is an important consideration too.  I assumed most people on these forums are amateurs and was trying to determine that by my original question. So far though, most of those answering include much larger prints than 4x6. Maybe they are the most likely to answer.

YWG Contributing Member • Posts: 595

marksee wrote:

Just curious. Thanks

I used to do 8x10 all the time in film BW film classes. 4x6 at home from film point and shoots.

Digitial has been a big fall off. I made some 36x24 for the office walls at work but normally it is other people printing out my photos (wedding or family session they just take to Costco). Sometimes I will update family photos at home which are 4x6 or 5x7. I made some 5x7 this week due to a special bday request to make a photo wall. I'd say I order prints maybe a couple of times a year at best.

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,443

After a trip, there are always a few shots that I print large for show.  Here is a recent shot I printed large.

Cloudy day in the Tetons

-- hide signature --
telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,483

Regularly need to print quite large (+1m) for exhibitions when someone likes my work

NB this can be from phones or small cameras....

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 7,690

marksee wrote:

Just curious. Thanks

I print about 50-70 prints per year at 13" x 19" on my Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. The quality meets or exceeds anything I get from the popular online shops. The cost per print runs around $3.75. One heck of a printer. I bought a spare 4 years ago and my first one has been flawless so the spare sits in the box. I did use the ink as I was not certain of shelf life. I also do 4-5 photo books a year, but for those I use Shutterfly.

Charlie BRM
Charlie BRM Junior Member • Posts: 43

You chose really nice proportions by bringing in the foreground forest. It shows the expanse of the scene better than zooming in on the mountains.

Charlie BRM's gear list:Charlie BRM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads