What is IQ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Mr Garibaldi Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Re: What is IQ?

sluggy_warrior wrote:

While I'm a novice and don't have clear definition of IQ, I assume it means "image quality" and vaguely associate it with what make an image "good": brightness, sharpness, constrast, color, noise, DR, ...

But in a recent post by someone with over 1,500 posts, the definition of IQ seems to be different from my understanding ("intelligent quotient" of camera? how smart a camera is?)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63229158

Have I been learning it wrong?

(panicking ...)

Honestly, I find it to be a term steeped in uselessness.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 44,586
Ignore that post.

sluggy_warrior wrote:

While I'm a novice and don't have clear definition of IQ, I assume it means "image quality" and vaguely associate it with what make an image "good": brightness, sharpness, constrast, color, noise, DR, ...

But in a recent post by someone with over 1,500 posts, the definition of IQ seems to be different from my understanding ("intelligent quotient" of camera? how smart a camera is?)

(panicking ...)

No you are absolutely right and the person who posted the following comment is completely wrong.

(My definition of IQ is reading a scene and delivering a quality photo and that's where the iPhone has the advantage.)

Notice he said "my definition" not the definition. I suppose we all could make up our own definitions about anything which would result in making reasonable conversation impossible.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,383

What we need is some links to Dictionary.com by some of our forum oracles.

That should clear this up.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 44,586

AOC wrote:

Dexter's point is that such assets as Smart HDR, Deep Fusion, and Night Mode together elevate the IQ of smartphone photos.

His assertion is well-reasoned and amply supported. It ought to be self-evident.

That doesn't give him the authority to make up his own definition of IQ. If he wants to say that such "assets" improve the IQ of a smartphone photo then there is no argument.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 24,621

sluggy_warrior wrote:

While I'm a novice and don't have clear definition of IQ, I assume it means "image quality" and vaguely associate it with what make an image "good": brightness, sharpness, contrast, color, noise, DR, ...

That's right for technical quality. Artistic quality is a different matter.

Recent improvements in both phone cameras and separate cameras are intended to improve the image quality of the photos they produce.

Examples are: more sophisticated auto focus, multishot images, higher resolution sensors, better lenses. These are the methods used, and when they work, better image quality is the result. Don't confuse the technology with the output.

When you compare the results from various cameras, what matters is the final photograph, not how it was produced.

techjedi
techjedi Senior Member • Posts: 3,775

sluggy_warrior wrote:

(panicking ...)

Generally, I think image quality is subjective and there many factors to consider, from pure capturing capabilities to AI processing, etc. Putting aside differences in opinion as to what "looks better", I think you can focus on measurable properties.

However, when you start using words like "learning" or "learning it wrong", I think it means that you are searching for an agreed upon frame of reference to discuss with other experts so that you can agree on the interpretation of measured data. Its fine for there to be different frames of reference as long as its clear that you might need to interpret across those boundaries differently.

At the end of the day, if, in a blind measurement, the published result of one system is equal to the published result of another system, then I think they have equivalent image quality. I don't think it matters if that was mostly accomplished with better optics, better sensor tech or with better computational processing after capture. That said, there is nothing wrong with trying to maximize the capabilities of every layer and identify where weaknesses exist.

If one system compensates for poor optics with AI adjustments, imagine how good a system would be with perfect optics *and* AI adjustments, etc.

No need to panic, all the metrics you mentioned can be measured and you can decide which ones matter most to you when picking a system for your needs. A score is going to have generalized weighting that might not be appropriate for your needs.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads