iPhone 11 Pro vs 1DXii Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 2,615
iPhone 11 Pro vs 1DXii

These are really close, even in lower light which is crazy. Most trained photographers will be able to spot the iPhone shots because of the aggressive bokeh, not because the overall photo is inferior quality, but your average person would never be able to spot that. I think if he had edited the iPhone photos by increasing the aperture slider to more match the look of the bokeh in the 1DX, they would pretty indistinguishable. The bokeh in portrait mode looks too mushy and fake to me if the aperture is anything more than about f/4 in most shots. You really have to watch it and adjust accordingly.

The most surprising thing here to me was at the 4 minute mark. The iPhone nails the tricky lighting situations where the 1DX struggles and blows out the backgrounds and sky. It’s those things like smart HDR, Night Mode, and now Deep Fusion, that are making these smartphone cameras really good these days and in some cases, even better than high end cameras.

https://youtu.be/6irorkXCLyw

MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,595
Re: iPhone 11 Pro vs 1DXii

Dexter75 wrote:

These are really close, even in lower light which is crazy. Most trained photographers will be able to spot the iPhone shots because of the aggressive bokeh, not because the overall photo is inferior quality, but your average person would never be able to spot that. I think if he had edited the iPhone photos by increasing the aperture slider to more match the look of the bokeh in the 1DX, they would pretty indistinguishable. The bokeh in portrait mode looks too mushy and fake to me if the aperture is anything more than about f/4 in most shots. You really have to watch it and adjust accordingly.

The most surprising thing here to me was at the 4 minute mark. The iPhone nails the tricky lighting situations where the 1DX struggles and blows out the backgrounds and sky. It’s those things like smart HDR, Night Mode, and now Deep Fusion, that are making these smartphone cameras really good these days and in some cases, even better than high end cameras.

The key to these videos (and the MANY) like it, is simple: Take generic shots that do not in any way challenge a camera and then embed them into a video. Additional step: do not provide the images in full resolution for viewers to examine.
When you actually attempt to compare the two things with integrity, it simply doesn't work out. It's much harder to get tens of thousands of clicks that way.

Summary: Fake news.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,639

Biggs23 wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

The key to these videos (and the MANY) like it, is simple: Take generic shots that do not in any way challenge a camera and then embed them into a video. Additional step: do not provide the images in full resolution for viewers to examine.
When you actually attempt to compare the two things with integrity, it simply doesn't work out. It's much harder to get tens of thousands of clicks that way.

A very reasonable explanation.  And it means that depending on your needs and output target, the iPhone very well may be better.

Oh, man, you ruined it with that nonsense.

OP Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 2,615

Biggs23 wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Fair points but I think those shots at the 4 minute mark with the tricky lighting thru the window challenges cameras, and the 1DX lost badly, even the outdoor shots that follow it, look how the 1DX blew out the sky but the iPhone nailed it, that’s RAW vs JPEG too. Why do you need full resolution photos to pixel peep at 300%? The people looking at your photos aren’t doing that. They are looking at them just as we are in this video. No one was blowing up film images back in the day and looking for any noise and then proclaiming it to be a bad image when they found some. Most of the greatest photos ever taken are technically flawed and would be ripped apart by millennial pixel peepers. It’s the crowd of pixel peepers that really kill photography, an image is far more than its digital pixels.

Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,730

Good demo , any lowlight images at all ?

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony SLT-A68

Labe wrote:

The shots at 4:13 look like the only low light shots. I’d like to see low light with the iPhones Night Mode on vs a 1DXii. I bet the iPhone more than holds it own.

Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,730

Dexter75 wrote:

Labe wrote:

The shots at 4:13 look like the only low light shots. I’d like to see low light with the iPhones Night Mode on vs a 1DXii. I bet the iPhone more than holds it own.

Yes would be nice to see . I still can’t get hold of the 11 pro max yet from my network provider . 
 Just needs to beat the P30pro . I’m currently torn between note10 plus, P30 pro and 11pro .

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony SLT-A68
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,012

Dexter75 wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Fair points but I think those shots at the 4 minute mark with the tricky lighting thru the window challenges cameras, and the 1DX lost badly, even the outdoor shots that follow it, look how the 1DX blew out the sky but the iPhone nailed it, that’s RAW vs JPEG too. Why do you need full resolution photos to pixel peep at 300%? The people looking at your photos aren’t doing that. They are looking at them just as we are in this video. No one was blowing up film images back in the day and looking for any noise and then proclaiming it to be a bad image when they found some. Most of the greatest photos ever taken are technically flawed and would be ripped apart by millennial pixel peepers. It’s the crowd of pixel peepers that really kill photography, an image is far more than its digital pixels.

So people who view photos on a phone never pinch to zoom? Or crop the photo?

I still maintain that it's important to be able to view a photo at 100% and it should maintain its integrity at that level of zoom. Otherwise, why have a sensor with 12mp if images look like mush at 100%?

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Samsung NX1 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX1000 +10 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,247

Dexter75 wrote:

These are really close, even in lower light which is crazy.

No they aren't.

How's that iPhone do in low-light at 400mm-equivalent and a fixed shutter speed of 1/400th to freeze motion?

Answer:  The iPhone won't even get a shot, while the SLR and 400/2.8 will get great shots.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +23 more

Lee Jay wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

No they aren't.

How's that iPhone do in low-light at 400mm-equivalent and a fixed shutter speed of 1/400th to freeze motion?

Answer: The iPhone won't even get a shot, while the SLR and 400/2.8 will get great shots.

How did the 1DXii do in the video in the shots with a subject in front of a window? Very poorly, it blew everything in the background out while the iPhone nailed it. The 1DX couldn’t even handle the following outdoor shots in the video with the guy under the tree, it blew out the sky while again, the iPhone nailed it. The iPhone has superior IQ to a $5500 full frame camera with a quality $2000 lens which is very impressive. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. With the iPhones Night Mode and an aftermarket lens, I wouldn’t assume the iPhone won’t even get a shot in the scenario you listed above.

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,900

I don't think the smartphone companies are targeting professional photographers with their smartphone cameras.  But as they increase their camera capabilities and using smarter computational techniques smartphone results are encroaching upon the qualities in many situations that were heretofore only available with large cameras and experienced photographers. Sure, if you pixel peep you can detect the differences, but it is still causing concern because it is affecting the camera market.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,153

Dexter75 wrote:

How did the 1DXii do in the video in the shots with a subject in front of a window? Very poorly, it blew everything in the background out while the iPhone nailed it. The 1DX couldn’t even handle the following outdoor shots in the video with the guy under the tree, it blew out the sky while again, the iPhone nailed it. The iPhone has superior IQ to a $5500 full frame camera with a quality $2000 lens which is very impressive. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. With the iPhones Night Mode and an aftermarket lens, I wouldn’t assume the iPhone won’t even get a shot in the scenario you listed above.

What is your definition of IQ?

I hate to repeat myself here, but the only advantage a phone has is convenience. The software is smart enough to make the mediocre image looks decent, but there's nothing it can do that post-processing the RAW can't. A desktop software is much more powerful and have no real-time constraint.

The smartphone makes it easy for its user. The camera leaves the control and creativity to the photographer. If the photographer doesn't know how to shoot and process a backlit scene, s/he probably should just switch to using the smartphone if s/he doesn't want to invest time into learning/mastering her/his tool.

Sorry to everyone else, I'm bored at lunch and feel like feeding the trolls. Expecting FluidKnowledge and Brick Wall to jump in soon

Brick Wall
Brick Wall Regular Member • Posts: 330

Dexter75 wrote:

Excellent!

The gap narrows, the tide shifting inexorably in favor of the smartphone.

Expect to see more such photo and video proof as the battle intensifies.

-- hide signature --

"Gotta catch em all," he muttered. "Gotta catch em all,"...

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,111

Good lord...not this nonsense again

-- hide signature --

Closing in...no...more like closed in. Famous words indeed

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 10D +17 more

Dexter75 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

No they aren't.

Answer: The iPhone won't even get a shot, while the SLR and 400/2.8 will get great shots.

How did the 1DXii do in the video in the shots with a subject in front of a window? Very poorly, it blew everything in the background out while the iPhone nailed it. The 1DX couldn’t even handle the following outdoor shots in the video with the guy under the tree, it blew out the sky while again, the iPhone nailed it. The iPhone has superior IQ to a $5500 full frame camera with a quality $2000 lens which is very impressive.

No it doesn't!

One of them just requires a bit of skill to use, which wasn't employed.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The camera has the strength of a camera, the phone has a strength of fitting in your pocket.

With the iPhones Night Mode and an aftermarket lens, I wouldn’t assume the iPhone won’t even get a shot in the scenario you listed above.

And you'd be wrong, since night mode relies on multiple slow-shutter speed shots stacked.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +23 more
Stroker Forum Member • Posts: 82

Lee Jay wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

No they aren't.

The iPhone can shoot at 1/125,000 sec.

How's that 1DXii to shoot at a fixed shutter speed of 1/125,000th to freeze motion?

Answer: The 1DXii won't even get a shot, while the iPhone will get a great one!

-- hide signature --

The Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.
Yes, I took it...and trampled all over it. It was awesome!

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,900

The Davinator wrote:

Good lord...not this nonsense again

Not again!! This is different.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,153

Stroker wrote:

How's that 1DXii to shoot at a fixed shutter speed of 1/125,000th to freeze motion?

LOL, with how much light needed through that tiny lens?

Stroker wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

No they aren't.

Not in low-light, which was the point.

Use a strobe for that. 30,000 RPM:

No, it won't, because it won't capture any light.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

sluggy_warrior wrote:

Stroker wrote:

LOL, with how much light needed through that tiny lens?

It'll work as long as you're within 2 million miles of the sun.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads