See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
VideoPic
VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
5

With all the half full glass posters hitting the M43 community hard with wild statements I was looking for an interview with Olympus that would be informative.... I found one. Its unfortunately in French, the publication Phototrends

You can use a great translator deepl.com to translate the interview.

MANY of the daily claims and statements you see on this forum is answered in this interview.....

Best

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
shadowz Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

thanks .....:-)

-- hide signature --

CONTENT IS KING!

whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,729
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

 whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
2

VideoPic wrote:

With all the half full glass posters hitting the M43 community hard with wild statements I was looking for an interview with Olympus that would be informative.... I found one. Its unfortunately in French, the publication Phototrends

You can use a great translator deepl.com to translate the interview.

MANY of the daily claims and statements you see on this forum is answered in this interview.....

Best

Thanks for the link. Particularly relevant and agrees with the point I was saying in the other thread. From google translate:

"Kenny Suzuki: We must continue to present the benefits of the micro 4/3. Of course, we know that in terms of ISO sensitivity or megapixels, we can not beat the wider sensors. But we are slowly improving our system with high image quality in constant progression. We can cover with our system the majority of the types of photographs: there are already many professionals who use micro equipment 4/3 Olympus so we continue on this momentum."

"Ray Okubo: Before closing, I wanted to add something. Internally at Olympus we have our "basic skills", which sets us apart from the competition. Point # 1 is a compact and lightweight system and we have mentioned it several times. The second point is our range of optics: without a lens, we can not make images. It's the combination of the case and optics that counts. In third point, image stabilization is also a topic on which we wish to be ahead of the industry. With these three points, we want to continue to shape the hybrid market and be beyond the competition. That's what we're going to actively communicate on now."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fphototrend.fr%2F2019%2F03%2Finterview-olympus-cp-plus-2019%2F%23

Basically what I've been saying. Olympus knows very well it's a losing battle to go head to head on IQ against the larger formats (either on ISO performance or resolution). It's focusing on its strengths: compact/lightweight system, the lens selection, IBIS. I put "system" in bold because a lot of people focus on body and also claim cameras like E-M1X violate Olympus's focus, even though from interviews it's very clear Olympus considers that camera to fit as the smallest/lightest vertical gripped body you can buy now.

 JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
2

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

With all the half full glass posters hitting the M43 community hard with wild statements I was looking for an interview with Olympus that would be informative.... I found one. Its unfortunately in French, the publication Phototrends

You can use a great translator deepl.com to translate the interview.

MANY of the daily claims and statements you see on this forum is answered in this interview.....

Best

Thanks for the link. Particularly relevant and agrees with the point I was saying in the other thread. From google translate:

"Kenny Suzuki: We must continue to present the benefits of the micro 4/3. Of course, we know that in terms of ISO sensitivity or megapixels, we can not beat the wider sensors. But we are slowly improving our system with high image quality in constant progression. We can cover with our system the majority of the types of photographs: there are already many professionals who use micro equipment 4/3 Olympus so we continue on this momentum."

"Ray Okubo: Before closing, I wanted to add something. Internally at Olympus we have our "basic skills", which sets us apart from the competition. Point # 1 is a compact and lightweight system and we have mentioned it several times. The second point is our range of optics: without a lens, we can not make images. It's the combination of the case and optics that counts. In third point, image stabilization is also a topic on which we wish to be ahead of the industry. With these three points, we want to continue to shape the hybrid market and be beyond the competition. That's what we're going to actively communicate on now."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fphototrend.fr%2F2019%2F03%2Finterview-olympus-cp-plus-2019%2F%23

Basically what I've been saying. Olympus knows very well it's a losing battle to go head to head on IQ against the larger formats (either on ISO performance or resolution). It's focusing on its strengths: compact/lightweight system, the lens selection, IBIS. I put "system" in bold because a lot of people focus on body and also claim cameras like E-M1X violate Olympus's focus, even though from interviews it's very clear Olympus considers that camera to fit as the smallest/lightest vertical gripped body you can buy now.

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
400trix
400trix Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
1

whumber wrote:

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

Cost. Olympus said that for the X they worked with Epson to get higher performing gyros and actuators. My guess is that this means that they have batches tested and buy the top 10% or so. Lower yield -> higher cost -> only goes in the expensive camera.

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

 400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
2

VideoPic wrote:

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

On the volume market they talk about the PEN:

"Our main problem is therefore how to attract beginners to the photography market. That's why we try for example with our Pen series to have very attractive features for women for example. In Asia, these trends have been successful. We must therefore work to create products with attractive features for the younger generation."

I know here on enthusiast forums people don't care about selfie screen, the color selections, and disagree with the decision to remove the accessory port (and thus EVF option) in exchange for a pop-up flash. I totally see these sorts of decisions making an impact on the actual volume market for these types of cameras. Same thing with the reaction of horror on it having a 16MP sensor, when I doubt the target market really cares that much (vs having a lower price tag as a result).

 JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
1

400trix wrote:

whumber wrote:

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

Cost. Olympus said that for the X they worked with Epson to get higher performing gyros and actuators. My guess is that this means that they have batches tested and buy the top 10% or so. Lower yield -> higher cost -> only goes in the expensive camera.

I think you right. Studying the various interviews & statements its clear Olympus will continue with the different product lines we know today. In other words they will not build an EM1X and package it in three  different camera bodies.

What is also interesting Olympus had specific cost targets and clever manufacturing targets based on the new factory they build and based on a VERY clear corporate strategy. What the doom prophets shout and scream about every week in fact became exactly those challenges that helped Olympus position themselves more competitively in 2019. This year we see the 1st benefits of this new corporate strategy and things will improve as time goes on....

It seems we have more than enough reason to be optimistic about Olympus....

I can only urge those interested in investing into the M43 system or those doubting the M43 future to go read this article I did on the modern marketing battlefield. Just the launch of the EM5 III shows how incredibly effective Olympus targeted social media during the EM5 III launch.....

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

On the volume market they talk about the PEN:

"Our main problem is therefore how to attract beginners to the photography market. That's why we try for example with our Pen series to have very attractive features for women for example. In Asia, these trends have been successful. We must therefore work to create products with attractive features for the younger generation."

I know here on enthusiast forums people don't care about selfie screen, the color selections, and disagree with the decision to remove the accessory port (and thus EVF option) in exchange for a pop-up flash. I totally see these sorts of decisions making an impact on the actual volume market for these types of cameras. Same thing with the reaction of horror on it having a 16MP sensor, when I doubt the target market really cares that much (vs having a lower price tag as a result).

Interesting....do you really think youngsters care about a "great" 16MP sensor and loosing the pop up flash for a clip on EVF? Picture this.....this lovely young lady vlogging away with her EPL9 or 10 with this hunk of a EVF clipped into the EPL9? Personally I think they might prefer the pop up flash.....

On the other hand somebody expecting an EM1X in a EPL9 body might ask for a clip in EVF?

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
UppercanadianAcadian Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

In French, this seems to be just an 1x press interview pushing people to come out and physically handle the camera in stores interspersed with general m4/3 commentary.

it is quite unbelievable to think that somehow they can get 7.5 stops of stabilization out of some configurations though. That is simply mind blowing when I think about it.

i would love for them to come out and say ‘yes we will make an updated pen-f or pen ep-5!’

 UppercanadianAcadian's gear list:UppercanadianAcadian's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

VideoPic wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

On the volume market they talk about the PEN:

"Our main problem is therefore how to attract beginners to the photography market. That's why we try for example with our Pen series to have very attractive features for women for example. In Asia, these trends have been successful. We must therefore work to create products with attractive features for the younger generation."

I know here on enthusiast forums people don't care about selfie screen, the color selections, and disagree with the decision to remove the accessory port (and thus EVF option) in exchange for a pop-up flash. I totally see these sorts of decisions making an impact on the actual volume market for these types of cameras. Same thing with the reaction of horror on it having a 16MP sensor, when I doubt the target market really cares that much (vs having a lower price tag as a result).

Interesting....do you really think youngsters care about a "great" 16MP sensor and loosing the pop up flash for a clip on EVF? Picture this.....this lovely young lady vlogging away with her EPL9 or 10 with this hunk of a EVF clipped into the EPL9? Personally I think they might prefer the pop up flash.....

On the other hand somebody expecting an EM1X in a EPL9 body might ask for a clip in EVF?

To clarify, my point is those people really don't care about the EVF or the sensor. So Olympus is making decisions that address that market better, even though the enthusiasts here may disagree.

 JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 39,924
That’s rich of you to post given...
3

The thread you started on the em5.3 about if Olympus missed what people wanted

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 39,924
Old article with old arguments (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Kiwisnap Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
2

whumber wrote:

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

Really?

You wonder why they would not steal one of the technological advantages that may be a selling point for their top camera and stick it in a model far further down the scale?

Coming soon - the Nikon D501 with all the advantages of the D5 but at 33% of the cost....

 Kiwisnap's gear list:Kiwisnap's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,579
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
1

VideoPic wrote:

It seems we have more than enough reason to be optimistic about Olympus....

until the company releases their latest camera-imaging division results on November 6.

whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,729
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

Kiwisnap wrote:

whumber wrote:

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

Really?

You wonder why they would not steal one of the technological advantages that may be a selling point for their top camera and stick it in a model far further down the scale?

Coming soon - the Nikon D501 with all the advantages of the D5 but at 33% of the cost....

You realize that the D500 is indeed essentially a D5 with an APS-C sensor, no integrated grip, at less than 33% the cost, right? The real question is why wouldn't Olympus use the newer gyros. They claim to have some limited exclusivity with them so it would make more sense to capitalize on that when they can for their bread and butter camera rather than reserve it for a camera that's never going to sell in large numbers.

 whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,762
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....
1

whumber wrote:

Kiwisnap wrote:

whumber wrote:

The surprising thing to me from this interview is that they seem to imply that the only difference between the E-M1ii/E-M5iii IBIS and the E-M1X IBIS is the new gyro sensors and some software updates. If that's true, I wonder why they wouldn't bring the new gyro sensor and algorithm to the E-M5iii.

Really?

You wonder why they would not steal one of the technological advantages that may be a selling point for their top camera and stick it in a model far further down the scale?

Coming soon - the Nikon D501 with all the advantages of the D5 but at 33% of the cost....

You realize that the D500 is indeed essentially a D5 with an APS-C sensor, no integrated grip, at less than 33% the cost, right? The real question is why wouldn't Olympus use the newer gyros. They claim to have some limited exclusivity with them so it would make more sense to capitalize on that when they can for their bread and butter camera rather than reserve it for a camera that's never going to sell in large numbers.

I have no engineering insight, but just the sheer size difference between the E-MX and the E-M5 III might present an issue.

 gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III +9 more
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

On the volume market they talk about the PEN:

"Our main problem is therefore how to attract beginners to the photography market. That's why we try for example with our Pen series to have very attractive features for women for example. In Asia, these trends have been successful. We must therefore work to create products with attractive features for the younger generation."

I know here on enthusiast forums people don't care about selfie screen, the color selections, and disagree with the decision to remove the accessory port (and thus EVF option) in exchange for a pop-up flash. I totally see these sorts of decisions making an impact on the actual volume market for these types of cameras. Same thing with the reaction of horror on it having a 16MP sensor, when I doubt the target market really cares that much (vs having a lower price tag as a result).

Interesting....do you really think youngsters care about a "great" 16MP sensor and loosing the pop up flash for a clip on EVF? Picture this.....this lovely young lady vlogging away with her EPL9 or 10 with this hunk of a EVF clipped into the EPL9? Personally I think they might prefer the pop up flash.....

On the other hand somebody expecting an EM1X in a EPL9 body might ask for a clip in EVF?

To clarify, my point is those people really don't care about the EVF or the sensor. So Olympus is making decisions that address that market better, even though the enthusiasts here may disagree.

Maybe you should let Olympus know how important your opinion is....? At least they need to listen?

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Wow, case closed, Ricardo has spoken....

Surprise surprise friend - Olympus owners does not only read your and a few other Olympus nay sayers doom reports......with a little research we get to the truth....bwaaaa

When you start studying Olympus and what they did the past three years the picture becomes very positive......

So run go get help so can hint new negative points on the M43 forum.....

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

 VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 39,924
Very interesting...
6

VideoPic wrote:

Surprise surprise friend - Olympus owners does not only read your and a few other Olympus nay sayers doom reports......with a little research we get to the truth....bwaaaa

Didn't you start a "doom and gloom" (according to your logic) thread yourself about the EM5.3?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63208740

When you start studying Olympus and what they did the past three years the picture becomes very positive......

So run go get help so can hint new negative points on the M43 forum.....

What's the matter, it's only negative when others do it?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads