Raw pp with film sim

Started 2 months ago | Questions
e268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Raw pp with film sim

I take raw+fine on my x-e3 with film sim. When I process the raw file, e.g., loaded raw into LR light, is the film sim included in the demosaic process?  The image from LR light (on my iPad Pro looks comparable to the jpeg.  Maybe the film sim is included in the process?  Please conform.  Tia

e268's gear list:e268's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
zurubi Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Raw pp with film sim

I don’t use the one on the iPad but the classic version on a computer. Thats not the way it works, upon import, Adobe would default  something like Adobe color and then you can change to something else.

zurubi's gear list:zurubi's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +3 more
Len-O Contributing Member • Posts: 912

e268 wrote:

I take raw+fine on my x-e3 with film sim. When I process the raw file, e.g., loaded raw into LR light, is the film sim included in the demosaic process? The image from LR light (on my iPad Pro looks comparable to the jpeg. Maybe the film sim is included in the process? Please conform. Tia

If you are processing with LR (Mobile) on an iPad make sure that it is the RAW/RAF file that you have loaded, not the JPG. The RAW file thumbnail will be labeled in the upper right corner.

The JPG will have the Sim baked in and you will not be able to change it.

The RAF will have a default Camera Profile, usually Adobe Color. To change the Profile to one of the Fujifilm Sims, tap on *Browse* and open *Camera Matching* there you will be able to select the Sim you want.

"RAW" tag shown on thumbnail

Camera Profile "Adobe Color" shown + the Browse button

Camera Matching profiles showing Velvia selected

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
Dan Marchant Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212

e268 wrote:

I take raw+fine on my x-e3 with film sim. When I process the raw file, e.g., loaded raw into LR light, is the film sim included in the demosaic process? The image from LR light (on my iPad Pro looks comparable to the jpeg. Maybe the film sim is included in the process? Please conform. Tia

No it isn't.

Film sims and other JPG specific processing only affect JPGs. RAW files are sensor data and are unaffected by the chosen film sim. However the RAW file does include a JPG preview file (which is what you see on the rear LCD of your camera when you view the image) and this uses the chosen film sim/creative mode.

When a RAW file is loaded into LR it initially displays the JPG preview (which uses the film sim) while it prepares the proper preview (which uses the default LR settings). So, depending on how quickly the previews are built the image will suddenly change from looking like the film sim to whatever the default LR settings look like.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
My website danmarchant.com
Street Photos Flickr street album
Instagram (mostly street stuff) dan_marchant
Instagram (sports stuff) sporting852

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 935

e268 wrote:

No I'm pretty sure it doesn't - try shooting with a black and white film simulation - see if the image imported into LR on the iPad shows as black and white. I haven't found any way to get it to do that.

The way I think it works is that LR will only import the raw file (from your raw+jpg pair) and will show as the Adobe standard profile. Look at what it says on the top right under the Profile heading.

At that point you can select a camera matching profile (using browse) and apply whichever one you want. The original jpg and film simulation are ignored.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,922

No. Unless you have a predetermined import preset.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Greybeard2017

biza43 wrote:

No. Unless you have a predetermined import preset.

How do you set that up on the iPad?  I've looked but couldn't find it.

OP e268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

Thanks Len.  Unfortunately, I did not subscribe to LR, so I cannot convert to Fuji film sim.  I try to use LR light on my iPad Pro, to do the raw conversion, and then send it to Affinity Photo to do the editing.  My reason is that Affinity cannot open compressed Fuji raf files.  I think I have to use Fuji’s free raw converter (include the film sim) and send the ,tif files to my iPad Pro for processing.  This is an extra step involving using my windows 10 desktop. If I am on the road, I’ll just have to forgo the film sim.

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more

e268 wrote:

Thanks Len. Unfortunately, I did not subscribe to LR, so I cannot convert to Fuji film sim. I try to use LR light on my iPad Pro, to do the raw conversion, and then send it to Affinity Photo to do the editing. My reason is that Affinity cannot open compressed Fuji raf files. I think I have to use Fuji’s free raw converter (include the film sim) and send the ,tif files to my iPad Pro for processing. This is an extra step involving using my windows 10 desktop. If I am on the road, I’ll just have to forgo the film sim.

I was under the impression that the free edition of *Adobe Lightroom for iPad *  still provided the Camera Profiles for RAW files. I am sure that you do not have to subscribe to get those.

The subscription will allow you to get  CC storage, and sync to a desktop, or laptop to either the online edition of LR , or LR CC, that is not the full LR Classic CC + PS CC.

As to opening Fuji RAF files in Affinity, I am able to make RAW adjustments on my iPad Pro, including selecting a Fuji Camera Profile, and then *Copy to Affinity*. It is a bit of a work around but it works.

Note: I do not use compressed RAF files.

I use the Apple Lightning SD card reader to transfer files to my iPad.

Then there is also the option to use other iOS RAW processing software such as RAWPower, or Pixelmator Pro with the caveat that, as with Affinity Photo profiles will not be available.

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more

Len-O wrote:

e268 wrote:

Thanks Len. Unfortunately, I did not subscribe to LR, so I cannot convert to Fuji film sim. I try to use LR light on my iPad Pro, to do the raw conversion, and then send it to Affinity Photo to do the editing. My reason is that Affinity cannot open compressed Fuji raf files. I think I have to use Fuji’s free raw converter (include the film sim) and send the ,tif files to my iPad Pro for processing. This is an extra step involving using my windows 10 desktop. If I am on the road, I’ll just have to forgo the film sim.

I was under the impression that the free edition of *Adobe Lightroom for iPad * still provided the Camera Profiles for RAW files. I am sure that you do not have to subscribe to get those.

The subscription will allow you to get CC storage, and sync to a desktop, or laptop to either the online edition of LR , or LR CC, that is not the full LR Classic CC + PS CC.

As to opening Fuji RAF files in Affinity, I am able to make RAW adjustments on my iPad Pro, including selecting a Fuji Camera Profile, and then *Copy to Affinity*. It is a bit of a work around but it works.

Note: I do not use compressed RAF files.

I use the Apple Lightning SD card reader to transfer files to my iPad.

Then there is also the option to use other iOS RAW processing software such as RAWPower, or Pixelmator Pro with the caveat that, as with Affinity Photo profiles will not be available.

I see that the Free version does have limitations, and that to get the full features of LR for iPad without a subscription one has to make the in-app purchase of $4.99 for the "Premium" edition.

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,750

e268 wrote:

Anything from LR regarding film sims is reversed engineered and would only get you in the ballpark... and the comparatives that have been posted may not be viewed favorably (at least not to my eyes).

Fuji provides you the proper, accurate film sims through the basic (Silkypix) software - not so great image quality, Raw Studio which uses in-camera processor (better, but slow - jpeg only), and the recent versions of Capture One which offers a limited, but excellent IQ Fuji Express version for free.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Greybeard2017

JNR wrote:

e268 wrote:

Anything from LR regarding film sims is reversed engineered and would only get you in the ballpark... and the comparatives that have been posted may not be viewed favorably (at least not to my eyes).

Fuji provides you the proper, accurate film sims through the basic (Silkypix) software - not so great image quality, Raw Studio which uses in-camera processor (better, but slow - jpeg only), and the recent versions of Capture One which offers a limited, but excellent IQ Fuji Express version for free.

Are you saying that Fuji supports Capture One in their raw conversion and film simulations?

JNR wrote:

e268 wrote:

All understood, and I agree Raw Studio is the best way to get any of the Fujifilm Sim profiles, everything else is a close reverse engineering project with some better than others. Others include Capture One, LR CCC/ACR, and Exposure X5 all of which are fine if one is using a desktop, or laptop computer. However, the OP of this thread, e263 is referring to work away from his desktop/laptop environment on his iPad Pro.

On the road the OP, and I use our iPad Pro with LR for iPad together with Affinity Photo, it is a workable travel option. Unfortunately RAW Studio, Capture One Pro 12, Exposure X5, and LR CCC/ACR are not available for the iPad. So if one wants the Fujifilm Sims on the iPad there are only 2 ways to get them, either shoot JPRG with the Sim baked in, or use LR mobile which delivers acceptable "reverse engineered" Fuji Sims with RAF processing capability.

Now, do you have a different solution for the iPad user, other than LR mobile?

JNR

Greybeard2017 wrote:

JNR wrote:

e268 wrote:

Are you saying that Fuji supports Capture One in their raw conversion and film simulations?

It seems to me that Fuji has shared the optical formulas with Capture One... much the same as the arrangement made earlier with Sony. Why would Capture One Express for Fuji be a free offer otherwise? AFAICT, the film sims are an exact match (in color science) to the camera JPEGs (in my case, X-T2 and X-T20). Of course, the Capture One noise reduction and sharpness output somewhat differ - as the bodies' processing capabilities and need for speed are necessarily limiting output quality, as compared to what is expected when converting from software on the computer.

-- hide signature --

JNR

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
JNR

Len-O wrote:

Now, do you have a different solution for the iPad user, other than LR mobile?

Right you are... Capture One doesn't operate on the iPad... and I see that there are issues with compressed RAF... and not sure about Raw Studio compatibility. As a Windows guy, I probably should have stayed off the thread! Sorry.

-- hide signature --

JNR

OP e268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

Thanks Len & JR.  I have been using Capture one (free basic version), to convert my raw files into .tif files, then pp in Affinity.  Affinity cannot open Fuji compress NAF files.

with today’s  X-Pro 3 announcement, I will have a good solution, since it can convert raw to .tif in camera so I can pp them in Affinity.  I have been eyeing the X-Pro3 for its tilt screen as well.  With HDR, I am now 90% sold.

Mickey Yap New Member • Posts: 2

The .tif file have the fuji film simulation from Capture One express free version as I got tried before by converting to Acros film sim and open the .tif file in ipad pro.

It should apply the camera lens corrections, sharpening, highlight/shadows, etc into .tif file as well (correct me if i m wrong)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads