K1 mark II mirror/shutter sticking

Started 2 months ago | Questions
kmarceau Regular Member • Posts: 187
K1 mark II mirror/shutter sticking

I upgraded my K1 to mark II about 8 months ago. Everything was working fine until about 6 weeks ago when the mirror started locking up intermittently. It started as a once per hundred shots issue and has evolved to the point where it's happening every 5 or 6 shots.

I'll fire the shutter and the camera takes a photo but the viewfinder goes dark.

If I try to release the shutter again, the mirror and/or shutter flaps quickly 2 or 3 times and then I'm able to see through the viewfinder and proceed shooting.

I can also clear up the problem by pressing the view/play button. When I do this the mirror returns almost as if I'm leaving live view.

I'm getting ready to send it in for repair but just thought I'd post this to see if anybody else is experiencing something similar or has any idea about what might be causing this condition.

Thanks - Ken

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Xiaomao
Xiaomao Senior Member • Posts: 2,315
Re: K1 mark II mirror/shutter sticking

Hello, Ken. Very sorry to know about your problem with K-1 II. This problem has happened to my camera at least five times. I didn't know what to do when it happened, I just switched off the camera and took out the battery to bring the camera back to life again. I will try your solution next time when it happens again.

-- hide signature --

Regards.
_________
Xiaomao

Xiaomao's gear list:Xiaomao's gear list
Pentax K-1 II
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,283

Sorry to hear that, I also have an upgraded K1, now K1ii.

It could be the battery. If it's a new one with slightly higher charge, the shutter might do strange things. In this case, it's likely to go away after you put some use in the battery, to get it off max charge, and after a few charge / uncharge cycles so that it "settles"

If it still does it with good "settled" batteries, i think it's time to send it in for repairs..

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Olyhal Regular Member • Posts: 135

I have this problem when in live-view on a tripod. The mirror sticks when viewing shots. It stays down when I go back to live view. I just press one of the buttons and it goes back up, or press live view button again.

Batteries are good, and it doesn't happen in normal shooting. I do have the grip on so not sure if that may cause flexing of the body when on the tripod. Maybe the mirror box is a tight fit in the body.

Was thinking of the update and getting it checked then. Didn't go through with update, so I just put up with it. It's not happening enough to worry me at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Howard T.

Olyhal's gear list:Olyhal's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
OP kmarceau Regular Member • Posts: 187

Thanks to all who replied.

Miles,

I considered your comment about the battery. I've been using the same batteries in the camera and battery grip since I bought the K1 (nearly 2 years ago) without any issues. But your comment made me think to try the AA battery tray instead of the D-Li90 batteries. I removed the D-Li90 from the body and switched to the AA battery tray and have not experienced the problem since making this change.

When I have some time I will take a close look at the contacts for the D-Li90 batteries in the body and the battery grip to see if they need cleaning.

Thanks

I'll update once I have time.

Olyhal Regular Member • Posts: 135

I think that the body may twist a bit with the grip on a tripod. It may twist the mirror box. I never have the problem off the tripod. I'm always in live-view when it happens.

-- hide signature --

Howard T.

Olyhal's gear list:Olyhal's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads