Why does my pictures look different in lightroom and photoshop?

Started Oct 20, 2019 | Discussions
e73
e73 New Member • Posts: 14
Why does my pictures look different in lightroom and photoshop?

Hello!
I have this problem that I can't wrap my head around. When I'm done editing my images to my satisfaction in lightroom and photohop, they all look different in every other image viewing apps and on FB for ex, in terms of being much more saturated and contrasty. If I open them in Photoshop and Lightroom, they look just as I wan't them to look. I like to keep it simple, and I allways work in sRGB and I havn't changed anything in my workflow for years other than getting a new monitor a few weeks ago. So, the new monitor is the only variable, but I don't understand how a monitor could make Pictures look different in different applications. Anyone who can help me out here? I'd really appreciate it! 
Thanx in advance / Mattias

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,779
Re: Why does my pictures look different in lightroom and photoshop?

Are you exporting both PS and LR in Jpeg? Some sites are not colour managed so if you are using a different format that might be it.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
e73
OP e73 New Member • Posts: 14

I only work with sRGB and allways just JPEG. Here a couple of examples. I'm confused. I opened the images in Photoshop and opened the same Picture in windows images Viewer and put it side by side with the pic in Photoshop and took a screendump. However, when I pasted it to a new document, both images look COMPLETELY different. So, I took these comparison Pictures with my smartphone.

Can ya see the difference? It's much more obvious IRL.

e73 wrote:

I only work with sRGB and allways just JPEG. Here a couple of examples. I'm confused. I opened the images in Photoshop and opened the same Picture in windows images Viewer and put it side by side with the pic in Photoshop and took a screendump. However, when I pasted it to a new document, both images look COMPLETELY different. So, I took these comparison Pictures with my smartphone.

Can ya see the difference? It's much more obvious IRL.

It is not too bad. Looks like the one on the left is less exposed.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
e73

Looking at the pictures on the monitor, the difference is much more prominent. It's atleast like 10-12 steps increased saturation and contrast.

e73 wrote:

Looking at the pictures on the monitor, the difference is much more prominent. It's atleast like 10-12 steps increased saturation and contrast.

Not sure what to say. That viewer is showing images differently? Post one Adobe here and compare.

-- hide signature --

Mark K W Senior Member • Posts: 1,760

e73 wrote:

Hello!
I have this problem that I can't wrap my head around. When I'm done editing my images to my satisfaction in lightroom and photohop, they all look different in every other image viewing apps and on FB for ex, in terms of being much more saturated and contrasty. If I open them in Photoshop and Lightroom, they look just as I wan't them to look. I like to keep it simple, and I allways work in sRGB and I havn't changed anything in my workflow for years other than getting a new monitor a few weeks ago. So, the new monitor is the only variable, but I don't understand how a monitor could make Pictures look different in different applications. Anyone who can help me out here? I'd really appreciate it!
Thanx in advance / Mattias

You need to (do all three of):

(1) Use only color-managed applications, with the color-management switched on in them.

(2) Save images with the image profile embedded (your sRGB or Adobe RGB, or even ProPhoto RGB).

(3) Profile the new monitor. Means using an x-rite or Datacolor type measurement puck device with associated software to measure and make and save that monitor profile such that the color-managed applications can use it.

Then your images will look the same in all applications.

Windows Photos (default image viewing app in Windows 10) is not color-managed. Windows Photo Viewer is. Photoshop is, Lightroom is.

FastStone is color-managed (but it needs to be turned on), same with IrfanView.

For browsers, you need latest versions of, and then Google as to how to turn on the color-management on them in your specific version of and then your exact OS version.

-- hide signature --
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,536

When installed Photoshop defaults to sRBB for the color space. The first thing you should check is Edit>Color Settings and make sure you are set to sRGB.

Lightroom's Library module works in the aRGB color space and the Develop module works in the ProPhoto color space.  You can use the Develop Module Soft Proofing command in the bottom tool bar to see the image displayed in the sRGB color space.

ACR can be set to the ProPhoto, sRGB, or aRGB color space.  Click on the line of blue text below the image to bring up the settings pop-up.

Is your new monitor a sRGB monitor or an aRGB monitor?

For your use all you want is a sRGB monitor and if it is an aRGB monitor that could be a source of your problem.

In any case you should be color calibrating your monitor for the most consistent results. I recommend the X-Rite: i1Display Pro Monitor Calibration Device. If the cost is beyond what you can afford then the X-Rite: ColorMunki Display is okay and you can extend its capabilities by using it with DisplayCAL (formerly known as dispcalGUI)—Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by Argyll CMS.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,639

Tell us more about your new monitor.  Does it cover more than the sRGB gamut, like Adobe or ProPhoto?  If it is set for a wider gamut than sRGB, and your older monitor was sRGB only, then you will see strange colors now when visiting sites that are not color managed.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
e73

It a AOC q2790pqu 27" sRGB monitor, with wide color gamut according to the specs. I absolutely love it by the way, a lot of bang for the buck I'd say! I calibrate with Spyder5 Express and the colors look great! It's just the difference when looking in Photoshop/Lightroom compare to looking at them in windows photo viewer or on FB for ex. that got me confused. I've noticed tonight at work that my images look just like the do in Photoshop/Lightroom at the monitors at work - just the way I want/made them to look. I'm puzzled! 😆

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,378

e73 wrote:

It a AOC q2790pqu 27" sRGB monitor, with wide color gamut according to the specs. I absolutely love it by the way, a lot of bang for the buck I'd say! I calibrate with Spyder5 Express and the colors look great! It's just the difference when looking in Photoshop/Lightroom compare to looking at them in windows photo viewer or on FB

Your screenshots suggest the viewer you use is the Photos app (a default photo viewer on Win10) -- it doesn't consult your monitor profile, that's why it creates saturation problems on a wide gamut monitor. The real Windows Photo Viewer IS actually colour-managed but MS in their wisdom don't make it easily accessible on Win10.

Here's a screenshot (converted to sRGB for posting here) of a ProPhoto RGB file viewed on a wide gamut monitor and Windows Photo Viewer:

WPV  shows correct saturation levels, unlike Photos

When you say you look at your photos on FB, which browser do you use? If it's MS Edge or Internet Explorer they are not colour managed, just like the Photos app.

So, the previous suggestions are correct -- switch to a colour-managed viewer (e.g. XnViewMP) and browser (e.g. Firefox), turn on colour management in their settings, and maybe petition Microsoft to do something about their colour management fiasco.

for ex. that got me confused. I've noticed tonight at work that my images look just like the do in Photoshop/Lightroom at the monitors at work - just the way I want/made them to look. I'm puzzled! 😆

Those monitors at work are probably regular gamut monitors, that's why you don't notice the lack of colour management when using the same applications to view the same photos.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,536

e73 wrote:

It a AOC q2790pqu 27" sRGB monitor, with wide color gamut according to the specs. I absolutely love it by the way, a lot of bang for the buck I'd say! I calibrate with Spyder5 Express and the colors look great! It's just the difference when looking in Photoshop/Lightroom compare to looking at them in windows photo viewer or on FB for ex. that got me confused. I've noticed tonight at work that my images look just like the do in Photoshop/Lightroom at the monitors at work - just the way I want/made them to look. I'm puzzled! 😆

Likely your monitor is being automatically calibrated to the aRGB color space.  Non properly color aware programs are ignoring the actual color space of your monitor and trying to display sRGB colors in the aRGB color space, resulting in some over saturated colors.

You should be able to set or calibrate your monitor to the sRGB color space and that should solve your problem.  Check the manual for the monitor to see if there is a way to set the monitor for the sRGB color space.  If not then it will have to be in the color calibration that you limit your monitor to the sRGB color space.

I'm glad you love your new monitor but for your use you should have gotten a less expensive monitor that only covers the sRGB color space and you wouldn't have had this problem.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
e73

Thank you all for your help, most kind of you! I realize now that it's the "wide color gamut" on my new monitor that got me confused. Now when I've aware of that I guess I kind find a way to work around it. Howewwah, I guess I have to decide if I should prepare my images for wide color gamut monitors or for plain sRGB monitors. Personally, I'm not all that picky, for me sRGB works just fine. I don't do much printing etc. and when I do, I'm perfectly happy with the sRGB color quality.

Thanx again / Mattias

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,639

sankos wrote:

e73 wrote:

It a AOC q2790pqu 27" sRGB monitor, with wide color gamut according to the specs. I absolutely love it by the way, a lot of bang for the buck I'd say! I calibrate with Spyder5 Express and the colors look great! It's just the difference when looking in Photoshop/Lightroom compare to looking at them in windows photo viewer or on FB

Your screenshots suggest the viewer you use is the Photos app (a default photo viewer on Win10) -- it doesn't consult your monitor profile, that's why it creates saturation problems on a wide gamut monitor. The real Windows Photo Viewer IS actually colour-managed but MS in their wisdom don't make it easily accessible on Win10.

Here's a screenshot (converted to sRGB for posting here) of a ProPhoto RGB file viewed on a wide gamut monitor and Windows Photo Viewer:

WPV shows correct saturation levels, unlike Photos

When you say you look at your photos on FB, which browser do you use? If it's MS Edge or Internet Explorer they are not colour managed, just like the Photos app.

So, the previous suggestions are correct -- switch to a colour-managed viewer (e.g. XnViewMP) and browser (e.g. Firefox), turn on colour management in their settings, and maybe petition Microsoft to do something about their colour management fiasco.

for ex. that got me confused. I've noticed tonight at work that my images look just like the do in Photoshop/Lightroom at the monitors at work - just the way I want/made them to look. I'm puzzled! 😆

Those monitors at work are probably regular gamut monitors, that's why you don't notice the lack of colour management when using the same applications to view the same photos.

Right on and that is why I asked if your new monitor was calibrated to a wide gamut space.  If the problem persists you can calibrate it to the narrower sRGB if you do not need the wide gamut, or use all color managed applications.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Mark K W Senior Member • Posts: 1,760

e73 wrote:

Thank you all for your help, most kind of you! I realize now that it's the "wide color gamut" on my new monitor that got me confused. Now when I've aware of that I guess I kind find a way to work around it. Howewwah, I guess I have to decide if I should prepare my images for wide color gamut monitors or for plain sRGB monitors. Personally, I'm not all that picky, for me sRGB works just fine. I don't do much printing etc. and when I do, I'm perfectly happy with the sRGB color quality.

Thanx again / Mattias

You do not need prepare images in any specific way for viewing on a wide color monitor.

You need do the 3 things I said in my reply.

You can make the images still in sRGB.

Your "problem" was you were viewing your images in non color-managed apps (specifically Windows Photos) on a wide-gamut monitor set to its native gamut. Being non color-managed means those apps take the file RGB numbers and either assume an sRGB monitor response, or else put the file RGB numbers to the graphics card direct. What you need do is use only color-managed apps which do the translation of the file RGB numbers to the actual measured color response of the monitor (means they use the profile built by your Spyder5 device's software(*)) - and this is true even if the monitor is itself regular nominal sRGB.

The only real needed fix is always use color-managed apps on a profiled monitor - that is what you should do and indeed should already have been doing, even with your previous monitor.

If you want, you can put your new monitor locally (on its own menus) into sRGB mode and then profile it and continue to use it that way, but if you do that you would not be able to see the richer colors in (for example) Adobe RGB images. An sRGB image viewed through a color-managed app on a wide-color monitor profiled in its wider native space will look exactly as it should.

Summary is - stop using Windows Photos! Find another similar color-managed image viewer. Also use a color-managed browsers (some social media sites strip the profile from images uploaded, but let's not go to that detail - as that was not your problem as you described it - FB for example uses its own lighweight sRGB-like image profile).

(*) I do not know if you can vary it in the Express software, but build an ICC version 2 profile for your monitor as that is compatible with more apps.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads