***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Oct. 20th - 26th***

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,867
***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Oct. 20th - 26th***

It's time to post your wildlife images, and view & comment on everyone else's wildlife images!

All wildlife not contained or restricted (NO Pets or Zoo Animals please).

All systems are welcome. When not Sony, please indicate the equipment used.

When posting your own images, please reply to the first post in the thread; otherwise, thread viewers using the 'threaded' view may overlook your contribution.

And please feel free to view and comment on the wildlife photos you see, to keep the thread friendly and active!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,867
Assortment - lizards, gator, turtle, birds, BIFs

From this summer, I'm tossing in a few shots I took on May 27th, which was Memorial Day which was a rare Monday off of work for me...then the following weekend on June 1, all at the local two wetlands, Wakodahatchee and Green Cay.

As usual, most shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM lens combo...but there are a few shots at the end of the thread that were taken with the Tamron 150-600mm lens via LA-EA3 adapter. I will note in the description when the Tamron was used.

All shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A roseate spoonbill standing up in a tree rather than in the water, letting his pink colors stand out against the blue sky

View: original size

A juvenile green heron, still covered in peach fuzz, with his colors coming in underneath

A basilisk lizard hanging out on the side of a cypress pine

A female anhinga drying her wings out on the rail of the boardwalk, right next to the main nature center building. This spot has dozens of people walking by, and she didn't move or care...get too close, and you just get a few croaks of displeasure from her

A Florida softshell turtle sneaking by underwater where he can't be seen. Oh, wait...the waters were a bit clear this day, so he wasn't quite as stealthy as he might have wished!

A cute juvenile green iguana, always such vivid bright greens when they're young...this one was working his way up a tree for a nice high perch to look around

Another day, another spoonbill in a tree. This one was doing some wing-stretch exercises, from that long hard day of sitting on top of a tree branch

This great egret scored himself a nice, colorful fish lunch, and was trying to walk away into the reeds to hide from me while he ate it...in case I was going to try to steal his meal

A male red-winged blackbird, coming out to the end of a cypress branch to give me an eye, and make sure I'm not going to threaten his mate on a nearby nest

A pensive gator, reflecting on life and love...or just reflecting himself in the sky mirrored water!

Now for some of the shots with the Tamron:

A wet and recently bathed wood stork...all of the woodies were taking dips down in the water and washing themselves off - as they had finally wrapped nesting season, all the youngsters had grown and could fly on their own...many of these birds hadn't really taken time for themselves in months (Tamron)

A shiny black male anhinga sitting proudly atop a tree island (Tamron)

A wood stork standing up on the tree island as well...with a bit of an Alfalfa-hair-thing going on with his feathers (Tamron)

One of the big woodies flying around in the blue sky (Tamron)

A black-bellied whistling duck flying quickly my way against the green backdrop (Tamron)

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,177
Re: Assortment - lizards, gator, turtle, birds, BIFs

Real nice variety Justin!  That spoonbill and peach fuzz on the GH are incredibly sharp!  Also, nice catch of the egret with the fish.  The stork flyby is also excellent - you make the Tamron look very good.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Oct. 20th - 26th***

I've been out shooting a lot lately, so lots of catching up to do. These are from a couple of weeks ago. A-68 and 70-400mm G2.

Eastern Chipmunk on a deck - cheeks full

Same chipmunk - lots of blur, but a funny pose

Marbled Orbweaver

Young doe

Doe - one of my better low light images

Female Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 4 inches long

Another young doe

Our Nature Center Turtle Habitat anchored in Lake Audubon - 13 turtles!

Clouded Skipper

Eastern Chipmunk - Several times passing this location I heard a chirping noise and always thought it was a bird, but it turned out to be this chipmunk. He's very vocal.

October Variegated Fritillary

Painted Lady

A nicely presenting Painted Turtle - Links Pond

Interesting web, no spider

Great Spreadwing Damselfly

__
AEH

Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 997

Planning a trip to your area in December. just read green cay will be closed due to roof work.  Any other ideas of places like that other than wako which has a small parking lot?

thanks.

Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
zackiedawg

Joanel wrote:

Planning a trip to your area in December. just read green cay will be closed due to roof work. Any other ideas of places like that other than wako which has a small parking lot?

thanks.

Yeah  - that whole 'closure' thing has been annoying all the local photogs!  They were first going to close in August for 3-4 months...right as migration was kicking in.  Then they pushed the notices back to September...for the same 3-4 months.  Not sure if it was delays or complaints, but they posted again in late September that the work had been moved to November.  So as it stands, we're expecting them to close around the 2nd week of November, and it's likely to be 3-4 months - they told me they'll be doing the roof AND the boardwalks.  Who knows if they end up moving it again, so keep an eye on the website.

The obvious other park right nearby is Wakodahatchee Wetlands - just a mile away, and the primary rookery in the entire area - probably the most active rookery in PB and Broward counties.  It's probably going to be ungodly crowded during the winter season with Green Cay closed, as it does only have a small parking lot that can handle maybe 60-70 cars.  There's a small mall south of there where you can park and walk over when the lot's full.

Other parks in the general vicinity, within 20-30 minutes' drive, are Arthur Marshall Wildlife Refuge, west of State Road 7 in Boynton Beach, Peaceful Waters in Wellington also west of State Road 7, and Marjorie Stoneman Douglas Wellington Wetlands way out west off Southern Blvd and Flying Cow Road in Wellington.  None are quite as bird-dense as Green Cay, but each can occasionally get some species you won't get at Green Cay, so they can be worth the trip at least in winter.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Lovely set Ed.  The painted turtle with his neck up is great - beautiful light - and the orb weaver capture is very interesting because I've not seen one standing with all the legs together like that.  Love the chipmunks and deer as always, and the butterflies have been standouts from you the past few months.

-- hide signature --

Justin

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,672
backyard rarity

leucistic American robin

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Amazing!

That's a real rarity steelhead.  And, American Robins don't come to feeders back east.  Great find.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Snowfella
Snowfella Contributing Member • Posts: 885

Well, my only outing last week ended up being a recce visit for a new spot in my local reserve. Been months since I really fed the Azure Kingfisher addiction and after getting told by another birder that he'd found 2 birds mating up and constructing a nest near to where my old mate used to hang out I couldn't help myself.

As per always she seems to find spots with near impossible light so nothing came out, but it did give me a good idea of when the selected perch might get some direct sunlight....so I'll be back bright and early Friday morning!

And it is indeed my old friend who I've been taking shots of since 2015, I can tell by the state of her feet. Over the years she's picked up more and more dark spots on her feet/legs something I've kept track of over the years.

The old girl, note the spotty feet/legs

The new squeeze, clean feet.

If there's eggs in the nest I've got about a 2 week window from laying to hatching and then another 2 weeks before the young fledge. Unfortunately I'll be away for a 1600km roadtrip starting early November so I'll likely miss it.

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more

Nice seeing your old friend Johan.  Also catching the two together - no easy task.  Hope the little ones fledge before you leave or after you return.

-- hide signature --

AEH

zackiedawg
Re: backyard rarity

I can honestly say I've not seen such a thing.  I've only seen a handful of leucistic birds - peacock, grackle, and pigeon come to mind.  That robin is an absolutely cool capture!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Beautiful birds, lovely photos, and congrats on seeing your old friend again.  I've got a few birds like that, which I see every year or so - some have passed on, but there are always a few with a unique mark or scar somewhere that helps ID them each time that replace the ones lost.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F4 G SSM
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,672

Please keep on the weeks shots as that confuses participants.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Lensmate

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I've been out shooting a lot lately, so lots of catching up to do. These are from a couple of weeks ago. A-68 and 70-400mm G2.

Eastern Chipmunk on a deck - cheeks full

Same chipmunk - lots of blur, but a funny pose

Marbled Orbweaver

Young doe

Doe - one of my better low light images

Female Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 4 inches long

Another young doe

Our Nature Center Turtle Habitat anchored in Lake Audubon - 13 turtles!

Clouded Skipper

Eastern Chipmunk - Several times passing this location I heard a chirping noise and always thought it was a bird, but it turned out to be this chipmunk. He's very vocal.

October Variegated Fritillary

Painted Lady

A nicely presenting Painted Turtle - Links Pond

Interesting web, no spider

Great Spreadwing Damselfly

__
AEH

Cool shots Ed.
-Martin P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Lensmate

steelhead3 wrote:

Please keep on the weeks shots as that confuses participants.

Error on my part...couldn't change it!

-Martin P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads