Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 mark ii (...in Olympus body)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
A_Mist
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 269
Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 mark ii (...in Olympus body)

Since Olympus doesn’t offer small WR primes, we must look for other side of the fence. I’m looking for this new version of PL 25mm to pair with my E-M1.2. It should work flawlessly with Panasonic bodies, but what about Olympus? Does anyone here have experience with Olympus and PL 25mm mark i combo? How’s the AF?

Have they done something new to AF motor in mark ii? Or is it the same lens as mark i but with added WR? From the launch info I assume that it’s the same, or do we have some other info?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1850697700/panasonic-leica-dg-summilux-25mm-f1-4-ii-asph-adds-weather-sealing-new-finish

A_Mist's gear list:A_Mist's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 993
Re: Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 mark ii (...in Olympus body)

A_Mist wrote:

Since Olympus doesn’t offer small WR primes, we must look for other side of the fence. I’m looking for this new version of PL 25mm to pair with my E-M1.2. It should work flawlessly with Panasonic bodies, but what about Olympus? Does anyone here have experience with Olympus and PL 25mm mark i combo? How’s the AF?

Have they done something new to AF motor in mark ii? Or is it the same lens as mark i but with added WR? From the launch info I assume that it’s the same, or do we have some other info?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1850697700/panasonic-leica-dg-summilux-25mm-f1-4-ii-asph-adds-weather-sealing-new-finish

I’ve used the 25 f1.4 for six or so years now, predominantly on olympus bodies. It works great. Out of my three (I know, I’m weird) 25mm lenses for the format, it is my favourite. Fast silent focussing, dependable image quality without having to worry about curvature of field or focus shift with aperture, reasonably small and light (although the Oly 25mm f1.8 is wonderful in that respect) - it is a lens that, while not perfect, is without serious drawbacks.
If you can find it at a reasonable price, I think you will be very pleased with it. It does the job, dependably.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
A_Mist
OP A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 269

PL 25mm f1.4 mk ii is starting to sound very tempting...

Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
Svein Eriksen Senior Member • Posts: 1,935

Jonas Palm wrote:

.... I’ve used the 25 f1.4 for six or so years now, predominantly on olympus bodies….

I own the 25mm F1.4 (old version) and use it on Olympus bodies. It's not a lens I use a lot, but agree with the comment from Jonas Palm - never had any problem and it's a pretty good lens.

I might have chosen a 20mm F1.7 if I were buying today, but that's not because of lens or IQ is better, it's because the 20mm is a much smaller lens.

A_Mist

Svein Eriksen wrote:

I might have chosen a 20mm F1.7 if I were buying today, but that's not because of lens or IQ is better, it's because the 20mm is a much smaller lens.

Well if they updated this to weather resistant mark iii version, I’d be the first in line to buy one!

agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,167

I got one for cheap. Don't use it much, only for some studio shots so far (just for fun). But I'm very pleased with image quality. AF seems ok. Must try it one day outdoors.

EDIT. Sorry I missread the OP. Actually I never checked if the version I got was I or II.. will chek tomorrow.

Alex

-- hide signature --

Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +20 more
A_Mist

agott123 wrote:

EDIT. Sorry I missread the OP. Actually I never checked if the version I got was I or II.. will chek tomorrow.

No need, it’s version 1 since V2 is coming this month. Nice pics!

James Pilcher Veteran Member • Posts: 9,956
Two bodies, two lenses

A_Mist wrote:

I have an OM-D E-M1.2 and a Pen F. I also have the Oly 25mm f/1.2 Pro, and the PL 25mm f/1.4 since its introduction in 2011.

The PL works flawlessly on both Oly bodies. There is the issue of "rattlesnaking" aperture blades on my Pen F, but I have not noticed it on the E-M1.2. It's possible that I've just not had the lens in a situation that causes rattlesnaking on the E-M1.2. Dunno. The rattlesnaking does not affect image capture or quality, it's just a bit unnerving the first few times you hear it.

The Oly is a far better lens wide open at f/1.2 than the PL is at f/1.4. That's my assessment from experience. YMMV. Stop them down to f/2 and smaller, and they are both excellent. They render differently, neither better than the other, just differently. I truly enjoy the rendering of the PL at f/2 and smaller, while the Olympus, while excellent and beyond reproach, seems more digital/clinical (I hate the term "clinical" but I use it here).

The bottom line is that use the Oly 25mm f/1.2 Pro on my OM-D and my PL 25mm f/1.4 on my Pen F and all of my Pens that preceded it. You cannot go wrong with either choice. I'm waiting to see if there is any image quality difference between the two PL versions; my understanding that there should be no difference. If your heart is set on the PL.2, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Don’t trust anyone under 9100 feet

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +10 more
A_Mist
Re: Two bodies, two lenses

Thank you for thorough answer. It sure seems I’ll go with PL25/1.4 ii.

A_Mist

One more thing. I just read more about this lens, and apparently Panasonic lenses doesn’t support some functions of E-M1.2, like ProCapture. Can someone confirm this? It is not good news.

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 579

I’ve been using the 25mm 1.4 since 2013 only with Olympus bodies, and am really happy with it. The AF isn’t slow, but it isn’t particularly quick, either - it’s slower than the Panasonic 15mm f1.7 but faster than the 20mm f.17. It can be hit-and-miss with moving subjects (i.e., babies and toddlers), but if the subject is reasonably still, I’ve find it to be perfectly fine.

We’ll have to wait until tests come out if the AF is any faster with the Mark II.

Ixoye
Ixoye New Member • Posts: 6

Does anyone know if the "rattlesnake" issues is fixed in this new version?

Ixoye's gear list:Ixoye's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads