Ways to try gear.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
hawk15 Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Ways to try gear.

I was about to rent a lens for $100.

But then I thought I could also just buy and return.

I've rented before and ended up buying so I'm not just buying with 0 probability to keep.

Has anyone gotten into issues with renting via the buy-and-return method?

hawk15's gear list:hawk15's gear list
Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,687
Re: Ways to try gear.

My personal ethics would preclude me from buying a lens that I didn't expect to keep.

Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,702

CameraCarl wrote:

My personal ethics would preclude me from buying a lens that I didn't expect to keep.

Exactly....

Well-said...!

The buy-try-and-return sequence places an unfair burden on the retailer, whether or not the retailer passes the burden along to the their customer base.

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +3 more
Pontoneer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

hawk15 wrote:

I've rented before and ended up buying so I'm not just buying with 0 probability to keep.

Just go into a shop and ask to see/try a demonstration model .

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II +39 more
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,284
me, too

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

I'm fortunate to have a dealer who is happy to let customers take floor samples out of the store to try outdoors for a while.  I haven't had to resort to renting something to see if I'd like it.

riveredger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,520

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

And if said shop does not have it available?

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Canon G1 X III Samsung Galaxy S9+
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,419
Re: me, too

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

I'm fortunate to have a dealer who is happy to let customers take floor samples out of the store to try outdoors for a while. I haven't had to resort to renting something to see if I'd like it.

And the dealer then sells it as new to someone else if you decide not to buy it?

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,301

Some retailers keep track of the number of items an individual buys and how many they return and then may refuse future orders.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,077
Sure

You rent it, there's some sort of insurance that covers accidental damage.

You buy it to try it and while you're trying it you drop it.  Uh-oh.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
It's fun being me -- Denny Crane.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
scrup Regular Member • Posts: 241

buy from Amazon and return if its not what you expect.

No shame in doing it. Amazon will sell it through their warehouse as open box item. Someone will get a deal, you get to try a lens risk free.

scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

I'm fortunate to have a dealer who is happy to let customers take floor samples out of the store to try outdoors for a while. I haven't had to resort to renting something to see if I'd like it.

And the dealer then sells it as new to someone else if you decide not to buy it?

That would be an awful thing, and I've seen stores that seem to open up a new box, demo the unit, then return it to the box to be sold as new.  At the store I'm referring to, floor samples are typically not for sale.  Whether I decide to buy that model or not, the floor sample is returned to the display case for other customers to see and try out.  My assumption is that it would eventually be sold as a demo model at a discounted price.

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,419

jrtrent wrote:

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

That would be an awful thing, and I've seen stores that seem to open up a new box, demo the unit, then return it to the box to be sold as new. At the store I'm referring to, floor samples are typically not for sale. Whether I decide to buy that model or not, the floor sample is returned to the display case for other customers to see and try out. My assumption is that it would eventually be sold as a demo model at a discounted price.

That would be interesting to know for sure. Does the store ever have demo model sales at a discounted price. That would confirm your assumption.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,524

Non-photo retailers in UK are doing that and it seems a reasonable plan.  Some companies do a hire and return or keep and pay the balance.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP hawk15 Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Re: Sure

nevada5 wrote:

You rent it, there's some sort of insurance that covers accidental damage.

You buy it to try it and while you're trying it you drop it. Uh-oh.

Interesting. By drop it you mean on the floor and broken or on the lake and irretrievable?

Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
OP hawk15 Contributing Member • Posts: 669

Chaplain Mark wrote:

The buy-try-and-return sequence places an unfair burden on the retailer, whether or not the retailer passes the burden along to the their customer base.

If they are able to stay in business, then it means you've covered the burden as another customer. As mentioned, I don't buy with the intent to return. Also don't want to subsidize those who do. Which would lead to buying from a place with a restocking fee or with a no return policy.

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

That would be an awful thing, and I've seen stores that seem to open up a new box, demo the unit, then return it to the box to be sold as new. At the store I'm referring to, floor samples are typically not for sale. Whether I decide to buy that model or not, the floor sample is returned to the display case for other customers to see and try out. My assumption is that it would eventually be sold as a demo model at a discounted price.

That would be interesting to know for sure. Does the store ever have demo model sales at a discounted price. That would confirm your assumption.

I'll have to ask them next time I'm in the store.  I'm afraid my habit has been to go in when a particular manufacturer has its own sales event.  That's how I got my Contax lenses and bodies, as well as both my first and most recent digital cameras.  I don't go there often because it's about 140 miles round-trip through rather awful traffic congestion.

While I have purchased demo hifi gear, I prefer new in the box cameras.  My dad bought a demo Pentax K110 from a different shop, and their tech gave it a thorough cleaning, including sensor cleaning, before it left the store.  It was a good camera for Dad, who eventually gave it to his grandson's significant other after Dad decided he preferred to carry the lighter weight Panasonic FZ35.

riveredger wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

And if said shop does not have it available?

there are other shops

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

Why not ?

A display item is still new ( not secondhand ) , unless it has been sold/returned .

When I ran my hi-fi shop , we ALWAYS sold the display model ; the one that the customer had seen/heard working : we knew it was in good order when it left the shop and this eliminated claims of it being faulty or damaged when they got home ; indeed with many items we would deliver and set up free .

If , rarely , a customer insisted on a new , unopened boxed item , it was always opened and tested in front of them - NOTHING LEFT THE SHOP WITHOUT BEING CHECKED .

I have no problem with display items which , legally , are still NEW .

Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,403

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

This is what my local store does

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7200 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

jrtrent wrote:

mamallama wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

hawk15 wrote:

unless something has been sold/returned , then it IS still new .

Ttere is nothing wrong with taking something out of a box to let someone look at it then putting it back , it is still new .

In my shop , EVERYTHING was opened and checked before going out the door .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads