Affinity Photo and A7RIV files

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 6,264
Affinity Photo and A7RIV files

Affinity Photo seems to support A7RIV raw files, but they load VERY slow (30 minutes for 40 files!). Working on these files is hardly possible (every action takes forever...beachball).

I work on a new iMac (8 core/64gb ram/2 tb SSD...full spec’ d machine...so I don’t think this can be a problem).

Anyone else notice this? Any tips/solutions?

thank you!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Qqphot Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: Affinity Photo and A7RIV files

This may not help you much, but as a data point, this doesn't happen with the windows version of Affinity - it's not lightning fast but certainly under 20 sec to load an A7R4 ARW file to the point where you can begin editing. This is on a Win10 box a recent 6-core intel cpu and 32G ram, using spinning disk, not SSD.

OP mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 6,264

Qqphot wrote:

This may not help you much, but as a data point, this doesn't happen with the windows version of Affinity - it's not lightning fast but certainly under 20 sec to load an A7R4 ARW file to the point where you can begin editing. This is on a Win10 box a recent 6-core intel cpu and 32G ram, using spinning disk, not SSD.

Thnxs Qqphot. I guess I’m too impatient.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690
Affinity Photo 1.7.3 opens A7RIV files in some 2 seconds on my MAC

mujana wrote:

Affinity Photo seems to support A7RIV raw files, but they load VERY slow (30 minutes for 40 files!). Working on these files is hardly possible (every action takes forever...beachball).

I work on a new iMac (8 core/64gb ram/2 tb SSD...full spec’ d machine...so I don’t think this can be a problem).

thank you!

On my MAC (iMac PRO 10C, 2 TB, V64, 64 GB RAM) A7R IV ARW files open in about 2 .. 3 seconds - opened several different ones and they open instantaneously - there must be something wrong with your installation or files

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Re: Affinity Photo 1.7.3 opens A7RIV files in some 2 seconds on my MAC

joger wrote:

mujana wrote:

thank you!

On my MAC (iMac PRO 10C, 2 TB, V64, 64 GB RAM) A7R IV ARW files open in about 2 .. 3 seconds - opened several different ones and they open instantaneously - there must be something wrong with your installation or files

Thnxs.
1 file seems to be no problem. What about a batch of, say, 40 files? What program do you use to open / read those files?

I’ll try again with a new batch. You do use AP as well, I pressume? Do those files open in Photos or any other Mac application....or also in AP?

Qqphot wrote:

This may not help you much, but as a data point, this doesn't happen with the windows version of Affinity - it's not lightning fast but certainly under 20 sec to load an A7R4 ARW file to the point where you can begin editing. This is on a Win10 box a recent 6-core intel cpu and 32G ram, using spinning disk, not SSD

One file at the time works here as well, but what about loading a batch of (let’s say) 40 files?

iMac 2019 does not yet support Sony A7RIV RAW files. That' s clear now.

(Apple logo) / about this Mac / software / RAW support/ does not mention Sony A7RIV yet. I hope this will happen soon!

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690

mujana wrote:

joger wrote:

mujana wrote:

thank you!

Thnxs.
1 file seems to be no problem. What about a batch of, say, 40 files? What program do you use to open / read those files?

What do you mean - what program? We were talking about Affinity Photo - correct?

So the answer is Affinity Photo in this specific topic.

Opened 11 files and Affinity photo took 14 seconds to open them - not blistering fast but more than acceptable.

I’ll try again with a new batch. You do use AP as well, I pressume?

I assume you talk about photos - correct? For my Smartphone - yes - for nothing else. Simply not a good tool for organizing stuff - and it works locally only - that's not elegant and useful IMHO - all my images are on my NAS and thus accessible from every location I have internet access.

Do those files open in Photos or any other Mac application....or also in AP?

Convert your ARW field with the free DNG converter to DNGs and you're done and save roughly half the HDD space

download here

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
dave92029 Contributing Member • Posts: 833

I have an IMac with 16 Gb of ram. I downloaded a trial version of Affinity. When I tied to process five A73 raw files I also got the beach ball, and after  patiently waiting I Force Quit and rebooted my iMac. Tried it again, same result.

I will NOT be purchasing Affinity.

I tried Pixelmator, which worked fine. Does not have the same features but it Works on my iMac!

Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6

This is the reaction from Affinity Photo (question asked on forum). Literally:

“Processing RAW files doesn't use the same pipelines as when opening individual RAW images in the Develop persona, because of this the process can take sometime and files may look different. It may be worth modifying your workflow to reduce the amount of RAW images into smaller groups. Another option would be to use a third party app to process the images first into .TIFF, then import into Affinity Photo to continue editing”

I do realize, that I’m not using Affinity Photo as it should be used. That’s to say, that I used it correctly so far (exporting from DXO Photolab as, let’s say, Tiff), but now I tried to import RAW files directly from internal SSD (iMac), into AP. I don’t think this is a fault of Affinity Photo; it just works like that).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads