X100F Left Side of Photos Out of Focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
David Cooke New Member • Posts: 11
X100F Left Side of Photos Out of Focus

Although I've read many discussions and articles on dpreview and being a Nikon user for many years this is my first thread here.

As of the many articles I've read, I fall into those who have wanted to be free and rid of the large camera bag of equipment and go with a smaller setup when needed. Travel photography is what I dedicate the majority of my time to.

After over more than a year of researching, I recently purchased new a Fujifilm X100F this past July 2019. I feel this camera is an excellent choice for my intentions and it's capabilities exceed what I looked for.

Although I should have evaluated my X100F example more closely during the first thirty day return period, unfortunately I didn't. I spent several days setting setting the camera FN buttons and dials to my liking and just experimenting with the camera prior to actually taking any photos. I really like everything about the camera, and honestly an understatement!

After several photos on a trip to Curasao and local areas where I live (taken within the camera return period), I noticed an out of focus area on the left side of the majority of the photos when infinite focus is used. The first few I brushed off as user error. Eventually I did some testing with a tripod and remote shutter button and the photos consistently were out of focus on approximately starting from approximately 20% from the left side of the frame. The majority of photos were taken at f/5.6. Absolutely nothing on lens.

Although many of the photos were taken within the return period of the camera which has been exceeded, the camera is now on it's way to Fujifilm Camera Repair and should arrive shortly and I'm waiting to hear from them.

I'm curious if any has experienced this and what the outcome might have been.

I'm including photos in my gallery for any comments and suggestions. Thanks much.

David

David Cooke's gear list:David Cooke's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X100F Nikon D300 GoPro Hero6 Black Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,422
Re: X100F Left Side of Photos Out of Focus

David Cooke wrote:

Although I've read many discussions and articles on dpreview and being a Nikon user for many years this is my first thread here.

As of the many articles I've read, I fall into those who have wanted to be free and rid of the large camera bag of equipment and go with a smaller setup when needed. Travel photography is what I dedicate the majority of my time to.

After over more than a year of researching, I recently purchased new a Fujifilm X100F this past July 2019. I feel this camera is an excellent choice for my intentions and it's capabilities exceed what I looked for.

Although I should have evaluated my X100F example more closely during the first thirty day return period, unfortunately I didn't. I spent several days setting setting the camera FN buttons and dials to my liking and just experimenting with the camera prior to actually taking any photos. I really like everything about the camera, and honestly an understatement!

After several photos on a trip to Curasao and local areas where I live (taken within the camera return period), I noticed an out of focus area on the left side of the majority of the photos when infinite focus is used. The first few I brushed off as user error. Eventually I did some testing with a tripod and remote shutter button and the photos consistently were out of focus on approximately starting from approximately 20% from the left side of the frame. The majority of photos were taken at f/5.6. Absolutely nothing on lens.

Although many of the photos were taken within the return period of the camera which has been exceeded, the camera is now on it's way to Fujifilm Camera Repair and should arrive shortly and I'm waiting to hear from them.

I'm curious if any has experienced this and what the outcome might have been.

I'm including photos in my gallery for any comments and suggestions. Thanks much.

David

It happens.  Not every account you might read here represents a legitimate issue (some definitely represent user and learning curve issues), but problems with lens IQ, while not prevalent, certainly aren't necessarily rare either.  Most importantly, you'll need a solid methodology for testing lenses, one which takes some of the variables out of the equation.  With any new lens I buy, one of the first things I do is to shoot a test chart (I won't show the picture here again... it's already been in many previous posts of mine), make sure you are absolutely centered to the chart -- and there are various techniques for doing that including mounting a mirror in the center of the chart.

If you're serious about wanting to properly evaluate your lenses, read a previous post of mine which outlines the methodology I use.  There are plenty of ways to do this, and this is just one, but it might help get you started.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63202861

Good luck and hope this helps somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
OP David Cooke New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks much Jerry. Thinking back, I believe I've seen your post on evaluating lens. In fact the instructions came in very useful for testing my Nikon 200mm ED AF 4.0 micro and if I recall another lens or two. I appreciate your help and input.

I remove some of the first examples of the X100F Left Side Focus photos in my gallery and added some of the same back with a higher resolution.

BTW. For anyone interested, the examples on my gallery are just a few I have exhibiting the same results. I have more to add if anyone is interested. All examples were processed from raw with Capture One, no sharpening, then to Photoshop to outline the affected areas.

David

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X100F Nikon D300 GoPro Hero6 Black Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more

Left horizon and red bush focus out

Left side brush and mountain range focus out

Left side of horizon out of focus

Left side trees and leaves out of focus

Jerry-astro

Can't say I'd be happy with those results either.  The fact that you're seeing softness on just one side strikes me as a pretty clear indication of a decentered lens.  I'd have the camera serviced.  Perhaps others might see something I missed...

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,701

On flat field distant landscape scenes (buildings, etc) I find the AF distance indicator is often well short of infinity. I get a sharp centre but soft edges. I put the camera in manual and move the distance indicator line to just before infinity. This gives a much better result. Probably down to field curvature in the lens, but I never had this AF behaviour with my original X100 with CDAF, only the X100F with PDAF. I've tried other Fs and they do the same thing. It's never noticeable in street photography, etc, just landscapes. Of course you may have a lens issue, but try setting infinity in manual first and see if it solves the problem.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more

Yeah, I'm not happy with the results. The center area of the lens focus appears to be very good at infinity. From what I'm seeing, actually both sides are lacking sharpness as compared to the center, with the left side being much worst. BTW, when the camera has focused on a subject which is closer (not infinity) the complete frame appears to be sharp.

The camera is now at the Fujifilm repair center, I'll keep the thread posted with the progress and outcome.

Hindsight, I wish I had looked closer at the photos and detected the problem earlier and I would have asked to exchange it for another new X100F. I'm now the owner of this camera for ninety (90) days. It's never been dropped, jolted, etc. Always in a full case and  handled with kid gloves.  Thanks

Thanks. I have read a thread addressing this, in fact it may have been one you posted. As I found out the hard way, the distance scale in the EVF isn't shown if your using the larger icons.  Prior to shipping the camera to Fujifilm camera repair, I didn't have the opportunity to experiment with manually focusing at infinity as you mentioned. What persuaded me to take action was the fact the left side was worst. As I've seen in image examples prior to purchasing the X100F, I am aware the camera has the capability to photograph with excellent results and consistent excellent sharpness across the entire frame. Thanks

Lately, I've been viewing a dozen or so X100F image examples that are obiviously taken at infinity focus and available as high resolution downloads.

Even with my X100F tripod mounted and remote shutter I'm finding my X100F not comparable to the excellent center sharpness to what I'm seeing from some other's presumably handheld images. Although there may be some, in the examples I've viewed from the downloads I can't see a real obvious change from the images edges to the center.

Again, my X100F "appears" to be on the same sharpness level as other downloaded high resolution images taken by others at closer focusing ranges.

BTW, I'm interested in expanding with Fujifilm cameras and if anyone reading this thread using other Fujifilm models in the past have seen focusing issues similar to what's being discussed here? Just curious.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I've been a Nikon user for many years, this is my first real venture straying away from the brand and it's been very interesting and I have learned a lot. Like others, after investing in a particular brand of lens for many years it doesn't make sense to make a change in unless something comes along that motivates you. I was motivated by my findings in researching the X100F and I'm still motivated after using and owning the camera, no doubt it's a great camera and I feel this focus issue will be resolved.  Like others, it's put the fun of photography back into me and I have really enjoyed using it in the past ninety days or so. Thanks again for help and comments.

Follow-up on my X100F. I received my X100F back from the repair center after a very reasonable turn around time and not including shipping time of about a week.

Included in the box, a document stating lens replaced, cleaned and CMOS adjusted.

I checked the repairs and found no obvious difference with the images after the repairs. Images are still soft left side at infinity focus.

During the repair check I took some infinity focus photos with the focus area in the center, which were soft on the left side, similar or almost exact to what the results were prior to the repair. I also took images with the focus area to the extreme left during infinity focus and the images were then sharp on the left side, although the center and right side were somewhat soft as compared to center focusing. I'm somewhat baffled by this.

I contacted the repair center, we had a discussion that mentioned there's a chance the lens and camera body are not in alignment. They also checked to see if there's an adjustment for this and found the X100F doesn't have this adjustment. The person answering my call was very professional and knowledgeable. I was promptly sent an emailed label to cover shipping back to the repair center. The camera is there now, I'll reply again with the results.  Thanks for reading and the replies.

El Jeffe Regular Member • Posts: 307

I hope they fix the problem! There could be machining somewhere that is out of tolerance. Maybe a lens mount point or sensor mount point is not perfectly flat.
Please pardon the formatting here is something I copied somewhere

x100 hyperfocal distance

Aperture Meters Feet

f/2 13.2 m 43.5 ft

f/2.8 9.37 m 30.8 ft

f/4 6.64 m 21.8 ft

f/5.6 4.7 m 15.4 ft

f/8 3.33 m 10.9 ft

f/11 2.36 m 7.75 ft

f/16 1.68 m 5.5 ft

El Jeffe's gear list:El Jeffe's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-T2 +14 more

Reply to Ely Harbour, thanks again.

I made a few test images after receiving the X100F back from the lens replacement, CMOS adjustments, and cleaning.
As I mentioned in this thread, I couldn’t tell any noticeable difference after the repairs.
I believe what you’ve mentioned is probably a factor here. After I made my test images after repairs with infinity focus in the center, the left was still soft. I kept the same composition and focused to the extreme left. The left side was sharp, although the center and right side softened. Although the images should be sharp from edge to edge, I’m speculating the lens is still adjusting for focus at the end of its focusing limit therefore it’s not really at the limit as assumed, it’s attempting to compensate for lens not centered ,square to sensor, defective glass, etc.

Prior to purchasing my X100F on 7/16/2019, I downloaded high res X100F image files that were very sharp from side to side that obviously were taken at infinity focus. I’m curious now if by chance the photographers were manually focusing? I know that doesn’t explain my camera’s problem as when right side and center are in focus, the left isn’t. When the left is in focus, the center and right aren’t. Thanks much.

Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,701

David, have you tried it with completely flat field scenes? Buildings, walls, etc. If I recall your soft LHS was a lot further away than the RHS. That's the only way to tell if there's a lens alignment issue...oh and turning the camera upside down maybe and seeing the effect reversed.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more

Thanks. Yes, I have a variety of infinity focus images that include some flat surfaces as well. Although taken prior to repairs, they also consistently show the left side out of focus area at infinity as shown in the sample images I have posted. I randomly selected the ones I have posted.

After receiving the camera back from Fujifilm repair center, I only took a few images to confirm and check the repair.  Without going to any more trouble than necessary, it was easy to see the images taken prior and post repairs were very similar and had the same problem of soft left focus at infinity. As the same in prior repair and in the same images post repair, the center was sharp as expected,  the right side somewhat soft as compared to the center, the left side very much out of focus. It's odd, as you can almost draw a line on the left side of the images where the unfocused area starts.

I'll post to the thread after receiving my X100F back from the repair center.

Thanks again.

X100F Left Side Soft Focus Crop.  Building fronts are flush. See comparisons between Left and Right of Black Line

Jerry-astro

David Cooke wrote:

X100F Left Side Soft Focus Crop. Building fronts are flush. See comparisons between Left and Right of Black Line

If you are absolutely certain that you are square to the window when taking these shots, then clearly there remains an issue.  If Fuji is unwilling to repair the lens, then I'd be looking for a replacement at their expense.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Thanks Jerry. Yes, I was square to the front of the buildings. The photo posted is cropped and about 25% of the total image. The left side being the extreme left edge of the cropped image.

This photo was taken prior to the lens being replaced, CMOS adjusted, cleaned. When I checked the camera after the replacement lens I could tell no difference in the soft left focus. I contacted Fujifilm repair, they promptly sent me a postage label to return the camera which they still have since 11/06/19 and as of now showing "In Process"

Honestly, at this point I really wish I could just get another new camera. The lens has already been replaced once and maybe a second time? I have pondered about contacting B&H for any suggestions, I've been a good customer for many years, the exterior of the camera is in absolutely new condition. It was a while before I took any images at infinity focus and by the time I started noticing the focus problem my thirty day return period had expired and by day ninety the camera was at Fujifilm repair and now it's back there again. The person I've contacted and corresponded with at Fujifilm repair appears enthusiastic and helpful. Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads