Budget camera for dental photography and maybe something else...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Senior Member • Posts: 3,618
Re: Budget camera for dental photography and maybe something else...

1;1 is a life size ratio  in the macro world.

the lenses I recommended were 1:1.25 which was 2.5xlife size

and the other was 1:1 which was life size.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,442

1:1

the photo is the same size of the sensor.

so , no you don't need 1:1 to take the full mouth but it can be usefull to get detail on a tooth or three.

With a Canon APS c and a 30mm to take the full mouth the front of the lens would be about 7 cm from the lips. Using the 60mm lens instead you would be almost twice as far.

The Canon APS C size is about 22 x15 ( Canon has 3 slightly different sizes)

JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 872

MinAZ wrote:

YourDentist wrote:

I need something specially made for photos, a smartphone photography sensor doesn't have the quality to make picture with high details as a DSLR camera, with a macro lens, even the lasted iPhone with 1000+ value can't compare to a T6 with a 60mm, 85mm or a 100mm lens, that maybe cost half of the price, a smartphone can do many things good but not excellent or give profesional results. Also the RAW format give much more detail and it can be use as a legal proof on a court.

Doesn't dental photography involve x-rays? I remember I used to do photography with my dentist friend. It was nice shooting all his Ferraris. Quite a pleasant guy, lots of girlfriends (he was in his late 20s and good looking), lived up in a mansion in Scottsdale. Only worked 4 days a week too, the other 3 were spent golfing. In my next life, I shall be a dentist.

At my old job as a color matcher my old boss said to me "One job that I wouldn't want is to be a Dentist".

I replied "Why not? They make good money"

He answered "Working inside people's mouths is the reason for me".

I thought to myself "Yeap, that wouldn't be very pleasant".

The job I would want to have in my next life would be a dermatologist. LOL

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more

at the other end, someone has to be a proctologist.

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 2,313

Most rich dentists shoot Leica. So I'd start with Leica M10 and Noctilux 50mm f/0.95.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
OP YourDentist New Member • Posts: 24

Good news, I got a Canon T6 with a 18-55mm and a 75-300 on a bid at a really good price, now what's next is ring flash and memory card.

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 3,986

YourDentist wrote:

Good news, I got a Canon T6 with a 18-55mm and a 75-300 on a bid at a really good price, now what's next is ring flash and memory card.

Just to fill in some [potentially] missing details...

A macro lens is unique in that it can focus at a really close distance. But the pictures you take are only true macro shots when you are at that extremely close working distance. So close you could fill the frame with just one or two teeth.

If you back off a little, then you are doing 'close-up' photography. That is what your goal should be, similar to the open mouth photo someone posted. A macro lens is still probably the best tool for the job, but you can try the other lenses you got.

As a test, take an apple or something similar and use your new 18-55. Zoom in to 55mm first, then move closer until the apple fills the frame. Now try focusing. It may be that you are too close for the camera to focus. If so, back up a little until you can get a nice sharp image. Is the apple filling the frame enough for your needs?

Repeat the test with the 75-300, but for this lens zoom out to 75mm. Can this lens focus with the apple filling the frame? If neither lens can focus that close, then a macro lens is the way to go, and I agree the 60mm macro is a good choice. You need to be physically close to the subject to get the right angle of view on someone's mouth.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Emily Anders
Emily Anders Forum Member • Posts: 72

One thing you forgot to mention that your budget. How much your budget to buy this dentist camera?

If you wanna use this camera professionally then I have a suggestion for you which is the low budget price camera for professional photographers.

Canon EOS Rebel T7i

thank you

Emily Anders's gear list:Emily Anders's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D

I often suggest to members to use the flat view and read all of the previous posts before commenting.

There is a reason for it.

(the OP already has bought a camera...)

OP YourDentist New Member • Posts: 24

I already bought a T6, now what I need is the SD card, ring flash, 60mm lens, maybe a tripod, a polarized filter for the light refraction and the Oclusal mirror but that I know very well where buy the mirror.

YourDentist wrote:

I already bought a T6, now what I need is the SD card, ring flash, 60mm lens, maybe a tripod, a polarized filter for the light refraction and the Oclusal mirror but that I know very well where buy the mirror.

The use of those mirrors would probably be the main reason to get a 60mm over a 35mm , I should have added that bit when commenting on the lens to subject distance .

BTW, I gag when something like that touches my tongue.

The drill was OK....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads