Budget camera for dental photography and maybe something else...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
YourDentist New Member • Posts: 24
Budget camera for dental photography and maybe something else...

I was looking for a camera and was reading a lot this week about it so I decided to make a post and ask to the people with higher experice.

Here is my problem;

I'm a dentristy student and I recognize that dental photography has a big value as Profesional because I can show people exactly what we need to do to my patients since they can't look inside their own mouth...

I found that I need a entry level camera since i don't have a big wallet, Canon T3 to T6 maybe, and a macro lens, i think 60mm is the because because in a crop sensor there is a a zoom unlike full frame so a 60mm x 1.6 = 96mm focal length so I can be close enough to take a picture of a full arch and is lighter and cheaper than the 100mm.

I was looking on ebay for a used body and 60mm, so I'm asking for help because I'm really new in the world of photography, hope you can help and thanks.

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,448
Re: Budget camera for dental photography and maybe something else...

many years ago Yashica sold a dedicated dental camera.

A 55mm (or 100mm) 1:1 macro lens with a ring flash.

So I would suggest you add a ring flash to your kit.

I was trying to remember why I had those cameras in stock (different version from the one above)

it was during the iridology craze when everything could have been  determined by the look of your eyes.

That was replaced by crystals . I don't know what the latest version of that kind of science  is now.

BrokenPhotography
BrokenPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 435

Canon EOS M6 / Canon EF to EF-S Adapter / Canon Refurbished EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

Canon Refurbished EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

You get a better working distance with a lens that is around 100mm on FF ( or equivalent on smaller formats )

The OP had the right idea already (60mm on APS C)

BrokenPhotography
BrokenPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 435

True, but the Oper did say budget friendly and my setup would be considered very budget friendly if all items have been acquired via canon's refurbished site.

OP YourDentist New Member • Posts: 24

What does OP mean?

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,614

YourDentist wrote:

What does OP mean?

Original Poster. The person that created the thread. In this thread, that means you.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more

Oh thanks!

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 16,801

BrokenPhotography wrote:

True, but the Oper did say budget friendly and my setup would be considered very budget friendly if all items have been acquired via canon's refurbished site.

Also, the 35 has a built-in ring light, the longer macros do not.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,907
Post Withdrawn

Post Withdrawn

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,541

Have you tried your phone?

I need something specially made for photos, a smartphone photography sensor doesn't have the quality to make picture with high details as a DSLR camera, with a macro lens, even the lasted iPhone with 1000+ value can't compare to a T6 with a 60mm, 85mm or a 100mm lens, that maybe cost half of the price, a smartphone can do many things good but not excellent or give profesional results. Also the RAW format give much more detail and it can be use as a legal proof on a court.

Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Senior Member • Posts: 3,620
Re: Budget camera for dental photography

you can do this with a cheap m43 body under 200 usd and get the 30mm olympus or panasonic lens and you are into macro for your needs for under 500 usd and maybe under 300 usd.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,189

YourDentist wrote:

I need something specially made for photos, a smartphone photography sensor doesn't have the quality to make picture with high details as a DSLR camera, with a macro lens, even the lasted iPhone with 1000+ value can't compare to a T6 with a 60mm, 85mm or a 100mm lens, that maybe cost half of the price, a smartphone can do many things good but not excellent or give profesional results. Also the RAW format give much more detail and it can be use as a legal proof on a court.

Doesn't dental photography involve x-rays? I remember I used to do photography with my dentist friend. It was nice shooting all his Ferraris. Quite a pleasant guy, lots of girlfriends (he was in his late 20s and good looking), lived up in a mansion in Scottsdale. Only worked 4 days a week too, the other 3 were spent golfing. In my next life, I shall be a dentist.

Call me crazy but I think that the OP is smart enogh to know the difference between X ray and this kind of photography :

just a wild guess.

BTW , maybe this will give an idea why phones or lenses that need to be 2 inches away from the mouth may not be the best choice.

MinAZ wrote:

YourDentist wrote:

Doesn't dental photography involve x-rays? I remember I used to do photography with my dentist friend. It was nice shooting all his Ferraris. Quite a pleasant guy, lots of girlfriends (he was in his late 20s and good looking), lived up in a mansion in Scottsdale. Only worked 4 days a week too, the other 3 were spent golfing. In my next life, I shall be a dentist.

It doesn't necessarily involve x-rays photography, because most of then are 100% digital that you take it with a x-ray sensor and the sensor transfer automatically the radiography to a pc, also another method that is analog but there is a special equipment to make it digital.

If x-ray involve photography with a camera? I don't think so, but I can be wrong.

FrancoD wrote:

Call me crazy but I think that the OP is smart enogh to know the difference between X ray and this kind of photography :

just a wild guess.

BTW , maybe this will give an idea why phones or lenses that need to be 2 inches away from the mouth may not be the best choice.

That's the kind of picture I want to take, what idk if is a 60mm will be enough to that, on this moth I read a lot of articles of photography but the practice knowledge is what I need to known the exact lens i need to take a picture like this 1:1, some post say 50mm can, others claim 60mm, or 100mm its a bit confused for a beginner.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 16,801

picture like this 1:1, some post say 50mm can, others claim 60mm, or 100mm its a bit confused for a beginner

Boy, this macro business can be confusing.  First of all that shot is NOT 1:1.  A true 1:1 would show only 1 or 2 teeth!  Second, with the right extension tubes any focal length can achieve 1:1.  What the focal length affects the most is the working distance.  Which is how many inches (CM?) you want between the lens and the subject.  Shooting insects you might want a lot of distance (bzzzzzz).  Shooting a mouth full of teeth, not so much!

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5

KCook wrote:

picture like this 1:1, some post say 50mm can, others claim 60mm, or 100mm its a bit confused for a beginner

Boy, this macro business can be confusing. First of all that shot is NOT 1:1. A true 1:1 would show only 1 or 2 teeth! Second, with the right extension tubes any focal length can achieve 1:1. What the focal length affects the most is the working distance. Which is how many inches (CM?) you want between the lens and the subject. Shooting insects you might want a lot of distance (bzzzzzz). Shooting a mouth full of teeth, not so much!

Kelly

So do you mean what I'm looking for lens can take pictures without distortion beetwen the mouth and me ? If that is the idea I got it, but still need read a bit more to figure out what 1:1 is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads