Shooting RAW in Monochrome.

Started Oct 19, 2019 | Discussions
Loganberry Forum Member • Posts: 63
Shooting RAW in Monochrome.

Set up my X-T3 to shoot RAW and jpeg in monochrome and then shot in manual using peak focussing. Works a treat. Imported all the RAW images into C1 Pro and now can't get them to display in colour. If I convert to dng using Iridient X-Transformer I don't have a problem. Think I am missing something in C1. Can anyone give me a clue?

Loganberry's gear list:Loganberry's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Phase One Capture One Pro
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mczar2u Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Shooting RAW in Monochrome.

Go to the icon with the 3 circles,

Open Base Characteristics,

If Curve  is in Auto, it applies the Film Simulation  used in the camera, there you can choose other file simulations, or just RAW.

Mario

Scheveningen4Life
Scheveningen4Life New Member • Posts: 13

Under the Color tab in the Tool bar you can find the 'Base Characteristics' menu; use the drop down menu next to the 'Curve' field --> make selection.

Default it is set on auto which will display the embedded jpeg (using your in-camera selected monochrome film emulation).

Scheveningen4Life's gear list:Scheveningen4Life's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +15 more
OP Loganberry Forum Member • Posts: 63

Ah yes I see what the problem is. I have been running C1 12.1.1. With this version there is a drop down box with a load of styles etc and some will give you your colour image back again. But I upgraded to 12.1.3 and with this version the drop down box gives you a choice of Auto or Linear and that's it and nothing else.

So I put the monochrome images through Iridient and processed the resulting dng's through LR. In the meantime I will have to sleep on it and try and resolve the problem.

Many thanks for everyones input. Luckily I had a laptop with the earlier C1 version which did what you said it would do. Trouble is I use my iMac for processing normally and this had the later C1 version.

Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Phase One Capture One Pro
Scheveningen4Life

I upgraded to 12.1.3 as well, I still see all options in the list (Windows 64b).

[edit] My version is the Fujifilm Pro version (build 12.1.3.2).

Fujifilm X100F Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +15 more

My build version is 12.1.3.9 for Mac version C1 Pro but not the Fuji specific one. Still got the same problem - given a choice of Auto or Linear with no other drop down boxes.

Will have to shoot colour RAWs for time being until I can resolve it. Maybe the profiles have to be imported in order to use them with my C1 version. Anyhow, not to worry! I have other software to use if I choose to shoot monochrome RAWs.

eric333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,349

Maybe I’M missing something, but what is a “monochrome raw”?

I had always thought raw files were always color and any monochrome image was the result of a raw to jpeg conversion.

I set my X-T3 to shoot RAW plus jpeg in monochrome. All images downloaded to my Mac displayed in monochrome. It was suggested that in RAW conversion software, all the RAW files would display in colour. They didn't!!

Only tried this because with peak focussing there are less distractions when carried out in monochrome.

Scheveningen4Life

There is no 'Monochrome raw' indeed, it is technically just a digital read out of the sensor. However most camera's embed a jpeg for previewing.

What you see in your RAW converter depends on the what the manufacturer choose to display; either the raw info, its own interpreted version or the embedded jpeg preview.

Even when I only shoot and save raw images, CaptureOne Pro shows the monochrome jpeg preview whenever I have set it as the profile (monochrome) in my Fujifilm camera.

In Affinity Photo (develop persona) however, the same raw file shows in color (raw info). DarkTable chooses to show the monochrome jpeg preview.

eric333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,349

eric333 wrote:

Maybe I’M missing something, but what is a “monochrome raw”?

I had always thought raw files were always color and any monochrome image was the result of a raw to jpeg conversion.

I guess I have to amend what I said...

The (very few) monochrome-only cameras that exist will create true monochrome raw files.

SatoriGFX Regular Member • Posts: 123

Loganberry wrote:

My build version is 12.1.3.9 for Mac version C1 Pro but not the Fuji specific one. Still got the same problem - given a choice of Auto or Linear with no other drop down boxes.

Will have to shoot colour RAWs for time being until I can resolve it. Maybe the profiles have to be imported in order to use them with my C1 version. Anyhow, not to worry! I have other software to use if I choose to shoot monochrome RAWs.

If it’s only giving you the option for Auto or Linear it’s likely you have a jpeg and not a raw file selected.  All of my raw files (raf or dng) allow me to select other curves.

SatoriGFX's gear list:SatoriGFX's gear list
Fujifilm X100S

SatoriGFX wrote:

Loganberry wrote:

If it’s only giving you the option for Auto or Linear it’s likely you have a jpeg and not a raw file selected. All of my raw files (raf or dng) allow me to select other curves.

I offloaded all the jpgs and RAW files from the SD card onto my Mac. Uploading a RAW file to C1 Pro, it displayed in monochrome with my version of Mac C1. Was given no option to display it in any other form. Converting to dng via Adobe dng converter and then opening in C1 gave a colour image.

Either way its not really a problem, I will simply shoot in colour only. With the passage of time and future software updates the problem might be rectified.

I rest my case.

Stan Powers
Stan Powers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,771

Mczar2u wrote:

Go to the icon with the 3 circles,

Open Base Characteristics,

If Curve is in Auto, it applies the Film Simulation used in the camera, there you can choose other file simulations, or just RAW.

Mario

Ah! Very Helpful! Thanks Mczar2u!

-- hide signature --

380-740nm Wave Bender
www.flickr.com/akasrp

Stan Powers's gear list:Stan Powers's gear list
Olympus Air Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II +20 more

But not in all versions of C1 on Mac. No other drop down box listing other profiles!

SatoriGFX Regular Member • Posts: 123

Loganberry wrote:

But not in all versions of C1 on Mac. No other drop down box listing other profiles!

You should be seeing something like the image below. That’s why I think there is something else going on. Have to tried changing the ICC profile to Fujifilm XT-3 Generic? That’s the profile Capture One 12 would normally apply to a raw file from an XT-3 by default.

SatoriGFX's gear list:SatoriGFX's gear list
Fujifilm X100S

SatoriGFX wrote:

Loganberry wrote:

You should be seeing something like the image below. That’s why I think there is something else going on. Have to tried changing the ICC profile to Fujifilm XT-3 Generic? That’s the profile Capture One 12 would normally apply to a raw file from an XT-3 by default.

Changing the ICC Profile to Fujifilm made no difference. With a colour RAW image displayed, I get a drop down box as above. But as soon as I display a monochrome RAW, I get only an Auto or Linear choice. However thanks for your help. Its not really that important, just don't like to be defeated! Can work around it.

bemeta Regular Member • Posts: 353

Loganberry wrote:

With a colour RAW image displayed, I get a drop down box as above. But as soon as I display a monochrome RAW, I get only an Auto or Linear choice.

My 'monochrome RAW' files get the Fuji camera Generic profile on Auto (so the monochrome interpretation) by default in Capture One Pro 12 on the macOS, in all versions so far. Maybe something happened to your software, you could try a reinstall.

Or you might want to make sure again you have not mistakenly selected the JPEG. Maybe you could post a full screenshot including the file information, so others might have more information which might enable them to help.

bemeta wrote:

Loganberry wrote:

With a colour RAW image displayed, I get a drop down box as above. But as soon as I display a monochrome RAW, I get only an Auto or Linear choice.

My 'monochrome RAW' files get the Fuji camera Generic profile on Auto (so the monochrome interpretation) by default in Capture One Pro 12 on the macOS, in all versions so far. Maybe something happened to your software, you could try a reinstall.

Or you might want to make sure again you have not mistakenly selected the JPEG. Maybe you could post a full screenshot including the file information, so others might have more information which might enable them to help.

Oops! Yes I fear you are right, I could have sworn it was not a jpeg. Must have had too much to drink that night. In the cold light of day looked at a "monochrome" RAW file and clicking on the Curve button resulted in the drop down box, as foretold.

Thanks for everybody's help, sorry about my stupidity.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads