Aw shoot, missed the deal

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,363
Aw shoot, missed the deal

Found an A99ii classified ad a few weeks too late.

Someone picked up an A99ii with 2500 clicks in immaculate condition with extra batteries for the listed price (or better) of $1,400 CAD ($1066 USD).

Man.

TheSonyEnthusiast
TheSonyEnthusiast Regular Member • Posts: 327
It was me, disappointed too.

markintosh13 wrote:

Someone picked up an A99ii with 2500 clicks in immaculate condition with extra batteries for the listed price (or better) of $1,400 CAD ($1066 USD).

Man.

That would be me, it was a fake ad from a compromised account and eBay canceled the listing. :/

-- hide signature --

I make my own repairs at home.

TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list:TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A77 +30 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 14,341
Re: It was me, disappointed too.

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Man.

That would be me, it was a fake ad from a compromised account and eBay canceled the listing. :/

If it was eBay, I was gonna suggest it was something along those lines ... that or a camera with serious issues not accurately described in the listing.

The classified ad was the same eBay listing?

TheSonyEnthusiast

sybersitizen wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Man.

If it was eBay, I was gonna suggest it was something along those lines ... that or a camera with serious issues not accurately described in the listing.

It was a camera listed for $999.00 Buy It Now (MA sales tax is 62.44) with a starting bid of 750.00. I recognized it may be a fraudulent listing because it referred to EOS-HD but the seller ID wasn't eoshd (it was redhotyardman out of Pennsylvania, EOSHD is based in the UK). I committed to buy, contacted eBay, let them know it may be a compromised account, and afterward both them and Paypal prevented payment. I contacted EOSHD to verify they were the seller of this camera, later received an email from eBay confirming what I suspected, and EOSHD sent me a message this morning that wasn't their eBay seller ID.

Before the listing was removed

After listing was removed.

The only way I knew it was likely fraud is I dealt with this before with another a99ii and an FHD5 monitor (I maintain a daily update of new listings to flag every time).  The person that hacked the account lifted photos from eoshd and tried to write a listing that sounded legitimate.

This highlights the importance of sites needing to watermark their photos more prominently to prevent this sort of thing.

-- hide signature --

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A77 +30 more
markintosh13
OP markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,363

not eBay, Kijiji - located in Quebec. Photos on his kitchen table, was selling a nice collection of lenses too.

guy still has a few lenses for sale (just nothing I was interested in)

TheSonyEnthusiast
Double check the photos i posted

markintosh13 wrote:

not eBay, Kijiji - located in Quebec. Photos on his kitchen table, was selling a nice collection of lenses too.

guy still has a few lenses for sale (just nothing I was interested in)

The backgrounds in the screen grabs I posted looks vaguely similar to those in the Kijiji ad, it may be a scammer in China/Russia posting lifted photos and posting in different areas.  The idea there are *two* separate cameras with 2500 shots in immaculate condition posted at roughly the same time, with similar lenses and backgrounds is enough to make me call BS.

I wouldn't fret too much, these cameras go for 2k easily so the idea someone is genuinely trying to unload for half the price is literally a case of too good to be true.  Take that from someone who managed to get probably one of the best prices on an a99ii used with 8 batteries and a vertical grip/RRS plate for 1500 after breaking it up into payments on multiple cards.

__

markintosh13
OP markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,363
Re: Double check the photos i posted

The kijiji seller's french was too quebecois to be a chinese/russian hacker, the backgrounds were of a kitchen / living room, and the lenses ranged from a 20mm to a 150-600mm. Looks like an estate sale to me.

When contacted, I was told straight up that the camera and most of the lenses had been sold, but 3 pedestrian lenses were still available for viewing and purchase. A scammer would have tried to scam.

Most kijiji buys are done in person. Early into my A-mount experience, when buying a lens once, I was offered an A77ii for $450 from a guy suffering from back and neck issues and didn't have the budget at the time.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 44,147

If a deal looks too good to be true it probably is.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068

tbcass wrote:

That's not always the case, and I went ahead and married my wife. No regrets at all!

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F4 G SSM
Lensmate

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Man.

It was a camera listed for $999.00 Buy It Now (MA sales tax is 62.44) with a starting bid of 750.00. I recognized it may be a fraudulent listing because it referred to EOS-HD but the seller ID wasn't eoshd (it was redhotyardman out of Pennsylvania, EOSHD is based in the UK). I committed to buy, contacted eBay, let them know it may be a compromised account, and afterward both them and Paypal prevented payment. I contacted EOSHD to verify they were the seller of this camera, later received an email from eBay confirming what I suspected, and EOSHD sent me a message this morning that wasn't their eBay seller ID.

The only way I knew it was likely fraud is I dealt with this before with another a99ii and an FHD5 monitor (I maintain a daily update of new listings to flag every time). The person that hacked the account lifted photos from eoshd and tried to write a listing that sounded legitimate.

This highlights the importance of sites needing to watermark their photos more prominently to prevent this sort of thing.

Well spotted...sharks galore out there....

-Martin P

Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

That's not always the case, and I went ahead and married my wife. No regrets at all!

-Martin P

Same here, I'm pleased to say! Here she is, photographed with my A99 and Minolta 200/2.8.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Lensmate

Maxxuman wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

-Martin P

Same here, I'm pleased to say! Here she is, photographed with my A99 and Minolta 200/2.8.

Glad you clarified that...I thought initially this was your wife [from your gallery page]:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9986565538/photos/1817732/dsc06088m1

...smile...

-Martin P

PS- out of curiosity, how did you achieve that space shot ?

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9986565538/photos/2543817/space-pic-m05-2

TheSonyEnthusiast

Lensmate wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Man.

The only way I knew it was likely fraud is I dealt with this before with another a99ii and an FHD5 monitor (I maintain a daily update of new listings to flag every time). The person that hacked the account lifted photos from eoshd and tried to write a listing that sounded legitimate.

Well spotted...sharks galore out there....

-Martin P

The FHD5 scammer continues to this day trying to use photos lifted from ChipHell.com and I have the daily match turned on for that search query specifically to catch that bass turd.  While those photos are watermarked, the "seller" has gradually tried to remove them, but I still reference the website and get them flagged every time

Sometimes though eBay doesn't do anything...honestly debating just putting insane bids on the item just to prevent people from getting screwed.

-- hide signature --

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 44,147

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

-Martin P

Yes but does she have regrets?

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Lensmate

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

-Martin P

Yes but does she have regrets?

Constantly....she complains that I make her too happy!  smile....

-Martin P

Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

Lensmate wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

-Martin P

Glad you clarified that...I thought initially this was your wife [from your gallery page]:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9986565538/photos/1817732/dsc06088m1

...smile...

-Martin P

Thanks for pointing out that gallery, which I had no recollection of although I did take the other 2 photos. The space one doesn't look familiar to me at all and I never had that camera so I have no idea how it got to be included in my gallery.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Lensmate

Maxxuman wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that gallery, which I had no recollection of although I did take the other 2 photos. The space one doesn't look familiar to me at all and I never had that camera so I have no idea how it got to be included in my gallery.

If you were abducted by aliens and that was a shot you got from space, then I'd certainly be interested in seeing more shots like that...don't worry, I won't say anything...

Aliens tend to blank your mind after you've been in their presence....

-Martin P

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads