Death of dslr`s present good opportunities................. Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,135
Death of dslr`s present good opportunities.................

…………...to pick one up dirt cheap . That is if this guy`s thoughts become more of a reality than we might think. Imagine Ebay flooded with hopes from those wanting to dump their dslr to avoid heavy losses.

https://fstoppers.com/business/why-you-should-care-dslrs-are-dying-417462

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Samsung Galaxy S6
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,712
Re: Death of dslr`s present good opportunities.................

Veducci wrote:

…………...to pick one up dirt cheap . That is if this guy`s thoughts become more of a reality than we might think. Imagine Ebay flooded with hopes from those wanting to dump their dslr to avoid heavy losses.

?? Avoid heavy losses???

It's a camera,  not the stock market....!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +3 more
Pontoneer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

Veducci wrote:

Stuff and nonsense: my DSLRs still do everything I want , so no need to change .

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II +39 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 14,398

Veducci wrote:

…………...to pick one up dirt cheap .

I think you need more dots............................................................................................

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,609

Even the author of that article doesn't believe what he's saying.

Spends most of the article saying people need to sell their gear ASAP, then ends by saying he plans on keeping his gear.

fstoppers clickbait.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,575

(CIPA) In units, DSLRs still outsell mirrorless, particularly in The Americas and Europe. Before DSLRs can die, they have to get below the 50% mark.

MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 378

I think what a lot of people keep forgetting (or just are not acknowledging) is that even if DSLRs completely  stop being produced tomorrow, the cameras will still function as if nothing ever happened... You don't need constant 24/7 development of DSLRs for your cameras to function or to even maintain value on the second hand market.

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro +12 more
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,944
What'll happen is...

...our small DP world will continue to move toward mirrorless as The Next Big Thing. Just like we moved to digital, and to SLRs before that.

Then, a subgroup will realize that DSLRs have some advantages that are missed. Pure optical viewfinders, killer battery life, even just a nice sound and feeling to use them. So they will stay alive, at least to some extent, just as film has.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +28 more
pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 357
Re: What'll happen is...

Smaug01 wrote:

...our small DP world will continue to move toward mirrorless as The Next Big Thing. Just like we moved to digital, and to SLRs before that.

Then, a subgroup will realize that DSLRs have some advantages that are missed. Pure optical viewfinders, killer battery life, even just a nice sound and feeling to use them. So they will stay alive, at least to some extent, just as film has.

I agree for the most part, and will continue to be diehard DSLR. I just cant get used to the lag in the EVF. Lots of diehard film shooters using mechanical cameras 30-40-50 years old or older because they can be serviced. I just cant imagine in 20 years, let alone 50, there will be any surviving DSLR's due to lack of batteries and electronic failures that will not be serviceable.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
malcolmbebb Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: What'll happen is...

I have a D3100 - love it. I have a m43 mirrorless. Love it too.
Trouble is, I nearly have what I need. Change gets harder to justify. Manufacturers want to tempt me, But the stuff I have just keeps doing what it always did, I have no need to change.

-- hide signature --

Started mid 2019, still on the learning curve - a long way down.

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222

justmeMN wrote:

(CIPA) In units, DSLRs still outsell mirrorless, particularly in The Americas and Europe. Before DSLRs can die, they have to get below the 50% mark.

Kodak sold a majority of film just a few years before they reached bankruptcy.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,204

There is this island for sale  in Fiji , for $75 million.

I wrote to them asking for a heavy discount due to the fact that the seas are rising.

I am waiting for their reply...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

PanzerSGT New Member • Posts: 5

Full frame mirrorless would be nice, but not near enough to justify $3500 for a new body and then have to replace my lenses.  My current cameras meet my needs so I'll stick with them until one of them dies.  Even then I probably wouldn't switch, I can buy several used DSLRs for the cost of a new A7IV.

That said, if I hit the lottery all bets are off.

PanzerSGT's gear list:PanzerSGT's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +9 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 81

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Veducci wrote:

?? Avoid heavy losses???

It's a camera, not the stock market....!!

Its the same mentality as that of the people buying the latest phone every year. Nothing wrong with that, keeps the economy ticking. The people who use them as tools don't care either way..

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
Hope so

I'm interested in a couple more bodies and like to buy used

Kinda doubt it though

StarPortraits
StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 287

I see it all the time on youtube dooms day scenario for dslr's. Yet the end product is as good as it gets. I would be more concern about getting a good lens than changing the body of the camera. I have a D700 which it puts out great pictures. The only technology that I wished they could integrate is the eye auto focus for my portraits but for $3500 no thanks.

MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 378

FrancoD wrote:

There is this island for sale in Fiji , for $75 million.

I wrote to them asking for a heavy discount due to the fact that the seas are rising.

I am waiting for their reply...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The seas are rising! The oceans are dying! Everyone sell all your water now before it becomes stagnant! Dihydrogen monoxide is the better solution! Water is a dinosaur!

(But seriously, sea level rise is very concerning)

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro +12 more
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222

StarPortraits wrote:

I see it all the time on youtube dooms day scenario for dslr's. Yet the end product is as good as it gets. I would be more concern about getting a good lens than changing the body of the camera. I have a D700 which it puts out great pictures. The only technology that I wished they could integrate is the eye auto focus for my portraits but for $3500 no thanks.

Sony A7iii $1999

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,406

Not the first thread from OP on this subject . The subject has been beaten to death and until the manufacturer’s proclaim that production has stopped there’s nothing more to add really.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7200 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads