DSC-RX10 IV Pull the trigger?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LynnObie
LynnObie Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: DSC-RX10 IV Pull the trigger?

RBEmerson wrote:

I've never even heard of greentoe. I'll investigate that.

I can also recommend putting in a bid at Greentoe.com.  I have purchased Sony cameras through Greentoe and have been able to save at least 10-11% off the MSRP.  Greentoe represents factory authorized dealers that are willing to *sell* below MSRP even though they are restricted by Sony from *advertising* below MSRP.  Also, I think you'll really like the RX10 IV.  Your best search results on this forum will probably come from searching for either RX10 IV  or  RX10m4.

LynnObie's gear list:LynnObie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Apple iPhone XS Max
aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,678

AlwynS wrote:

Garyster wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

When I searched dpr for DSC-RX10 I found only a handful of threads. Obviously there are more. Best way to find them?

Be aware that the RX10 IV gets *real* noisy as ISO increases. For family pix, probably ok, as they clean up decently in LR.

I would *not* rely on it for my only camera (but this is my full-time gig). I have a 5D4 along side it.

HTH

I think to say the RX10 IV is "probably OK for family pix" sells the capabilities of the camera way short. There are a number of people on this forum that get very good results. It might not meet your needs for your "full time gig", but for many of us amateurs/hobbyists it is nothing less than a brilliant camera.

Yes, it is brilliant!

When it comes to noise, it all depends on the OP's tolerance for noise. Is it comparable to the very best FF out there? Obviously not. Is it capable of getting very nice images for a lot of us? Absolutely.

To the OP: I have posted a lot of images taken with my RX10 IV (probably more than I should have... ) even recently. Feel free to look at some of my recent posts if you are looking for some sample RX10 IV images: good, bad or indifferent.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli
www.transformingphoto.com

Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,217

RBEmerson wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

There is not a bridge camera that can come close to the RX10iv let alone match it. The RX10iii is a great camera also with identical IQ as the M4, but the focus on the M4 is significantly improved that, unless you are taking shot of non moving subjects, you will want the M4.

Comparing the Mk3 and Mk4, the Mk4 focus technology is a major deal maker.

If you want examples, feel free to look at my Flickr site below.

The site answers my questions about macros.

This is a DSLR sized camera, it is not suited for helmet mounting.

And then there's the issue of FOV. My Sony FDR-X3000 has a significantly wider FOV. [/ tongue in cheek]

Seriously, as an action cam, the FDR-X3000 optical and electronic image stabilization combination is impressive.

https://youtu.be/zV2p1ZETbac

I purchased a cheap UV filter and found it degraded my images. I don't use anything on my lens but the sun shade. I am sure more expensive UV filters would perform better, but adding glass will always add one more surface for reflections in spite of non-reflective coatings. No coating is 100% non-reflective.

It comes down to protecting the front element from stupidity v. possible reflections. It's cheaper to replace the filter. Or remove it if it has to go.

Yes, it is a pricey camera, but if you want the best, it will cost you.

Now where have I heard that before? Ah, yes, from my friendly McLaren dealer. [/ wink]

The bigger the sensor, the narrower the FOV for the same aperture opening. It's physics, more so than brand dependent.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
RBEmerson
OP RBEmerson Regular Member • Posts: 299

AFAIK most filters, at least to some degree. I look at UV filters as lens protectors. At some point a fingerprint shows up. In the event of something more than a fingerprint, filters are easier to replace than lens assemblies.

-- hide signature --

There are days when I amaze even me, and there are days when I look for my phone while I'm talking on it.

RBEmerson's gear list:RBEmerson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,586

RBEmerson wrote:

When I searched dpr for DSC-RX10 I found only a handful of threads. Obviously there are more. Best way to find them?

Use the filter product

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony Alpha NEX-3 +1 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 41,002

Labe wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

Use the filter product

wo never realized that Thanks

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
RBEmerson

Bill Borne wrote:

Labe wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

Use the filter product

wo never realized that Thanks

What he said.

Why is the easy answer so often the hardest one to find?

-- hide signature --

There are days when I amaze even me, and there are days when I look for my phone while I'm talking on it.

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,041
Just do it!

I like telling strangers how to spend their money. Maybe you should buy two, and keep one in the box to sell in the future?

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
RBEmerson
Re: Just do it!

HRC2016 wrote:

I like telling strangers how to spend their money. Maybe you should buy two, and keep one in the box to sell in the future?

ROFL

I'm quite willing to give advice that spends other people's money, too. Unfortunately, to date, I've received no consulting fees for my excellent advice. Further, all billing has been ignored. LOL

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 644

Jerry045 wrote:

There is not a bridge camera that can come close to the RX10iv let alone match it. The RX10iii is a great camera also with identical IQ as the M4, but the focus on the M4 is significantly improved that, unless you are taking shot of non moving subjects, you will want the M4.

If you want a pocket sized camera the RX100 range have identical IQ to the RX10. The 24-200mm FF equivalent zoom of the RX100M6 & RX100M7 may well be sufficient for you. I owned both an RX10M4 & RX100M6 & found that I almost never used the RX10M4 so sold it.

nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +3 more
RBEmerson

Pocket cameras are a no-go.

My wife has a Nikon pocket cam that's good enough to keep her happy. For me it's a fail.

I'm going with the Mk4

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
AFG08 Junior Member • Posts: 45

nigelbb wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

If you want a pocket sized camera the RX100 range have identical IQ to the RX10. The 24-200mm FF equivalent zoom of the RX100M6 & RX100M7 may well be sufficient for you. I owned both an RX10M4 & RX100M6 & found that I almost never used the RX10M4 so sold it.

I’m slowly coming to the same conclusion. I have found that I really don’t have much need for a long zoom. I have taken both the RX 10 m4 and the RX100 m6 on two vacation trips and used the RX 100 most often. I think I could easily get by with just the Rx100.

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,882

nigelbb wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

The RX100M6/7 image quality isn't quite as good as the RX100M3/4, particularly at the wide end. I can usually spot my RX10M3 images in a mix of the two, because the RX10 images are sharper,

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
RBEmerson

AFG08 wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

I’m slowly coming to the same conclusion. I have found that I really don’t have much need for a long zoom. I have taken both the RX 10 m4 and the RX100 m6 on two vacation trips and used the RX 100 most often. I think I could easily get by with just the Rx100.

I use the telephoto part of the camera frequently. I shot a series of a square rigger in the Choptank River (Chesapeake Bay) last week. Kinda hard to do from where I stood on land. Etc. etc. etc. for the long end of the lens. Lots of mid-range for "people watching". Up close and personal for flowers, critters, etc.

Aye, me hearties, 'tis a bridge camera for me. (<- square rigger talk)

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Pstmstr Contributing Member • Posts: 677

AJ Kloza wrote:

Try your luck using Greentoe.com. Put your bid in and you're certain to get it for less than the list price. And it will be a brand new USA model from an authorized US Sony retailer.

Two weeks ago I did just that. My bid was $1425 on the RX10 IV and I received a counter offer a few minutes later of $1499. I didn't bite on it and 3 days later a retailer in PA accepted my original offer and the camera was shipped to me a couple days later. No shipping charges or sales tax either and a receipt was included from that PA retail store.

This was my second experience with them and just as satisfying as the first. Just be aware that if you do bid on something through Greentoe, you're locked into it for a set time limit. Mine was set for 3 days and that offer wasn't accepted until 15 minutes before that time limit would have expired. They take your credit card info and you are committed to that bid until the expiration of the time limit set on it.

Funny thing was I happened to find a used copy of the RX10 IV for $1200 and was ready to purchase it but I was still locked into that Greentoe bid and couldn't get out of it. I was counting the minutes to when I could, when as I said, 15 minutes before the expiration, my offer was accepted. I'm happy though as I got a new camera with warranty, rather than someone's used copy.

YMMV, but if I'm buying new I will always use their service in the future. Good luck with your decision, but as others have already said--you can't go wrong with this camera--it is THAT good!

I've had good luck on used equipment on Fred Miranda forum. I bought a like new RX10IV, 2 OEM batteries, 2 chargers, a Thinktank holster, with an Area swiss plate for $1150 shipped. Just purchase from sellers with great feedback and you should be good. They don't come up for sale real often but I suspect that might change the closer we get to the alleged release of the RX10V.

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
RBEmerson

I looked into Greentoe. Checking the "odds of getting a deal" meter didn't indicate a real deal, just a modest reduction.

Having burned too much time and money trying to sort out the current camera, I'm not going to stick my head in that noose a second time. A 6 to 10% savings just isn't worth the aggravation if something goes sour. Particularly if the dealer is outside of ~1 hour, one way, of driving. Ditto for eBay etc.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Macro
Macro Senior Member • Posts: 2,754

RBEmerson wrote:

Macro's gear list:Macro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Canon PowerShot G5 X Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +5 more
Pstmstr Contributing Member • Posts: 677

Macro wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

Are you trying to post something or just cluttering up the forum?

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
RBEmerson

Macro wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

I wish I could say that's only humor. [/big grin]

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
RBEmerson

Or maybe saying thumbs up to my .sig? [/smile]

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads