DSC-RX10 IV Pull the trigger?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RBEmerson
RBEmerson Regular Member • Posts: 227
DSC-RX10 IV Pull the trigger?
-- hide signature --

There are days when I amaze even me, and there are days when I look for my phone while I'm talking on it.

RBEmerson's gear list:RBEmerson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,576
Re: DSC-RX10 IV Pull the trigger?

Maybe rent one before you buy?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,108

Go for it. Best camera I ever owned.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
RBEmerson
OP RBEmerson Regular Member • Posts: 227

Arghhh! Posting from a phone... [/thumbs down]

It's got to be a bridge. BTDT toting lenses. Anything below 600 mm... Do not want. Macro for flowers (down to one on a plant) is a must. Low light isn't a deal breaker.

BTDT with smearing. It's all about the image.

Rental isn't an option. I need to be up to speed for Christmas in Germany with the in-laws followed by a trip to FL (s-I-l comes back to US on the same flight). Hey, no pressure. LOL

I haven't found a DSC-RX10 on discount. Period. $1600 is a lot for "hope this works". I missed a Mk4 for $998 on eBay. 'Course a used camera is rolling the dice.

What about the Mk3? What about something else? Are all alternatives using 2/3 sensors?

FWIW I' m coming from a Fujifilm X-S1. I like it, but they aren't sealed against diddly.

Dust intrusion in 2nd replacement from Fujifilm

-- hide signature --

There are days when I amaze even me, and there are days when I look for my phone while I'm talking on it.

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 40,814
Ditto

Jerry045 wrote:

Go for it. Best camera I ever owned.

I agree 100%

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
RBEmerson

BTW Video is mostly a "nice to have". Almost all of my videos use some flavor of an action cam. I doubt the DSC-RX10 will do well with a motorcycle helmet mount. [/ wink]

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
RBEmerson

Compacts are not an option. It's mostly personal preference. However, I've used a couple and they were underwhelming.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
AJ Kloza
AJ Kloza Forum Member • Posts: 91

Try your luck using Greentoe.com.  Put your bid in and you're certain to get it for less than the list price.  And it will be a brand new USA model from an authorized US Sony retailer.

Two weeks ago I did just that.  My bid was $1425 on the RX10 IV and I received a counter offer a few minutes later of $1499.  I didn't bite on it and 3 days later a retailer in PA accepted my original offer and the camera was shipped to me a couple days later. No shipping charges or sales tax either and a receipt was included from that PA retail store.

This was my second experience with them and just as satisfying as the first.  Just be aware that if you do bid on something through Greentoe, you're locked into it for a set time limit.  Mine was set for 3 days and that offer wasn't accepted until 15 minutes before that time limit would have expired.  They take your credit card info and you are committed to that bid until the expiration of the time limit set on it.

Funny thing was I happened to find a used copy of the RX10 IV for $1200 and was ready to purchase it but I was still locked into that Greentoe bid and couldn't get out of it.  I was counting the minutes to when I could, when as I said, 15 minutes before the expiration, my offer was accepted.  I'm happy though as I got a new camera with warranty, rather than someone's used copy.

YMMV, but if I'm buying new I will always use their service in the future.  Good luck with your decision, but as others have already said--you can't go wrong with this camera--it is THAT good!

AJ Kloza's gear list:AJ Kloza's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Apple iPhone 11 Pro
RBEmerson

I've never even heard of greentoe. I'll investigate that.

I live in the Philadelphia, PA area. Delaware is a relatively easy drive from here. That's at least a way past PA's 6% sales tax. The cost of the drive is definetly under $96.

Recommendations for a dealer in the Concordville, Wilmington, New Castle area?

Too bad the DSC-RX10 uses 72 mm filters. The X-S1 uses 62 mm filters. Of course the lens cap doesn't come off until I have a UV filter on it. I frequently use a polarizing filter.

Recommendations for UV and polarizing filters?

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
RBEmerson

When I searched dpr for DSC-RX10 I found only a handful of threads. Obviously there are more. Best way to find them?

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Garyster Forum Member • Posts: 67

RBEmerson wrote:

When I searched dpr for DSC-RX10 I found only a handful of threads. Obviously there are more. Best way to find them?

Be aware that the RX10 IV gets *real* noisy as ISO increases.  For family pix, probably ok, as they clean up decently in LR.

I would *not* rely on it for my only camera (but this is my full-time gig).  I have a 5D4 along side it.

HTH

AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,575

Garyster wrote:

RBEmerson wrote:

Be aware that the RX10 IV gets *real* noisy as ISO increases. For family pix, probably ok, as they clean up decently in LR.

I would *not* rely on it for my only camera (but this is my full-time gig). I have a 5D4 along side it.

HTH

I think to say the RX10 IV is "probably OK for family pix" sells the capabilities of the camera way short. There are a number of people on this forum that get very good results. It might not meet your needs for your "full time gig", but for many of us amateurs/hobbyists it is nothing less than a brilliant camera.

When it comes to noise, it all depends on the OP's tolerance for noise. Is it comparable to the very best FF out there? Obviously not. Is it capable of getting very nice images for a lot of us? Absolutely.

To the OP: I have posted a lot of images taken with my RX10 IV (probably more than I should have...  ) even recently. Feel free to look at some of my recent posts if you are looking for some sample RX10 IV images: good, bad or indifferent.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Jack R. Grouell
Jack R. Grouell Senior Member • Posts: 1,090

Try searching for RX10 IV without the DSC...

-- hide signature --

Jack G
Everett WA

Jack R. Grouell's gear list:Jack R. Grouell's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,108

There is not a bridge camera that can come close to the RX10iv let alone match it. The RX10iii is a great camera also with identical IQ as the M4, but the focus on the M4 is significantly improved that, unless you are taking shot of non moving subjects, you will want the M4.

If you want examples, feel free to look at my Flickr site below.

This is a DSLR sized camera, it is not suited for helmet mounting.

I purchased a cheap UV filter and found it degraded my images. I don't use anything on my lens but the sun shade. I am sure more expensive UV filters would perform better, but adding glass will always add one more surface for reflections in spite of non-reflective coatings. No coating is 100% non-reflective.

Yes, it is a pricey camera, but if you want the best, it will cost you.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,674
Re: Ditto

second to this

-- hide signature --

Anatoli
www.transformingphoto.com

RBEmerson

Garyster wrote:

Be aware that the RX10 IV gets *real* noisy as ISO increases. For family pix, probably ok, as they clean up decently in LR.

I would *not* rely on it for my only camera (but this is my full-time gig). I have a 5D4 along side it.

HTH

Good point re: high ISO = high noise. Does this camera stack images? The X-S1 does it, although everything must be static during the process. Can you say "daguerreotype"?

For me, toting a second camera is toting lenses cubed. If I were earning my daily bread from behind a viewfinder, I'd think differently.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
RBEmerson

Alwyn, great thanks for your help. I'm still digesting your post regarding shooting pelicans in flight. To date the d*** things only do formation flight or almost drag their wingtips in water when I either don't have a camera or do their aerobatics when it's too late to shoot them.

How much of that setup would work here?

-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
RBEmerson

Jerry045 wrote:

There is not a bridge camera that can come close to the RX10iv let alone match it. The RX10iii is a great camera also with identical IQ as the M4, but the focus on the M4 is significantly improved that, unless you are taking shot of non moving subjects, you will want the M4.

Comparing the Mk3 and Mk4, the Mk4 focus technology is a major deal maker.

If you want examples, feel free to look at my Flickr site below.

The site answers my questions about macros.

This is a DSLR sized camera, it is not suited for helmet mounting.

And then there's the issue of FOV. My Sony FDR-X3000 has a significantly wider FOV. [/ tongue in cheek]

Seriously, as an action cam, the FDR-X3000 optical and electronic image stabilization combination is impressive.

https://youtu.be/zV2p1ZETbac

I purchased a cheap UV filter and found it degraded my images. I don't use anything on my lens but the sun shade. I am sure more expensive UV filters would perform better, but adding glass will always add one more surface for reflections in spite of non-reflective coatings. No coating is 100% non-reflective.

It comes down to protecting the front element from stupidity v. possible reflections. It's cheaper to replace the filter. Or remove it if it has to go.

Yes, it is a pricey camera, but if you want the best, it will cost you.

Now where have I heard that before? Ah, yes, from my friendly McLaren dealer. [/ wink]

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

RBEmerson wrote:

What about the Mk3? What about something else? Are all alternatives using 2/3 sensors?

FWIW I' m coming from a Fujifilm X-S1. I like it, but they aren't sealed against diddly.

The 2/3" sensor disappeared wit the X30. The starting point is now the 1" sensor which is what the RX10 & RX100 use.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

I use a Zeiss T* UV filter as at least the coatings on filter and lens match. If I didn't already have this filter, I'd buy the equivalent Sony VF-72MPAM protector as the UV filtering is unnecessary.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads