Started 4 months ago | Discussions
KEG
KEG Senior Member • Posts: 2,996
Re: Is it worth getting an OG Canon EOS-M

HaroldC3 wrote:

KEG wrote:

nnowak wrote:

michoristo wrote:

The original M is absolute garbage. I had one and it was practically unusable unless you were shooting a static subject in bright light. The autofocus is sooooooooo slow that it was impossible to use. Low light? forget about it.

And yet it still worked better than the M3.

On the other hand it was extremely well built. With the M6Mkii, I'm finally willing to get back into the EosM system, hopefully it wont let me down.

Here are two of mine from M3.

The only difference between it and M6/M50 is that the color response different and 22/2.0 works better on M6/M50 and af is faster on M6/M50.

The M3 was a decent camera there's no doubt. It was my primary camera when I took my family vacation in Hawaii back in 2015 and I got great results from it.

However it suffered from a few bugs that were never fixed.

1. The green vignette issue - some people noticed a green tint in the vignette and this was never addressed by Canon

I think I have few pics where this was a problem, M3 is not a camera to use in the snow, but creative editing in raw minimizes the problem

2. AEB - the AEB bug basically caused the camera to take bracketed shots at like 1-2 fps. I don't recall if anyone actually discovered why.

3. Inconsistent WB - it seems like it was all over the place for me. I shot RAW and I spent a gret amount of time trying to get it correct.

Still, I do not regret my purchase. When I had it, it was definitely an upgrade from the M/M2.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +16 more
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

nnowak wrote:

KEG wrote:

nnowak wrote:

michoristo wrote:

The original M is absolute garbage. I had one and it was practically unusable unless you were shooting a static subject in bright light. The autofocus is sooooooooo slow that it was impossible to use. Low light? forget about it.

And yet it still worked better than the M3.

On the other hand it was extremely well built. With the M6Mkii, I'm finally willing to get back into the EosM system, hopefully it wont let me down.

Here are two of mine from M3.

The only difference between it and M6/M50 is that the color response different and 22/2.0 works better on M6/M50 and af is faster on M6/M50.

There are a lot more differences than color response. No DPAF being the most obvious. Here are some problems that only affect the M3

1. Incompatible with the EF 50mm f/1.4
  2. Auto exposure bracketing runs at 1fps
  3. More likely to throw up a red failed AF box than the original M
  4. Pretty sure I could not put "format" in "MyMenu"

it was reported to have AF problems with several EF canon lenses and many third party lenses which was one of the reason i didn't upgrade my M  and imported an M2 from japan to the UK

I know there were other issues, but I sold my M3 years ago and "downgraded" to the M2 that is an all-around better camera.

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton.
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D70s Canon EOS M5 +9 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,665

ChinusGomes wrote:

I have currently have a 6D but I've been wanting something smaller to carry around, I was looking around at some of the mirrorless ones.

I really liked the look of the sonys but then I saw an EOS-M cheap get that and a 22mm f/2 + maybe the adapter to so it also can be a back up body in a pinch.

It really depends on how cheap and what you want to do with it.  I think it's great for landscapes and inspection photos.  The M100 is much better if you can afford it and aren't too bothered about flash.  The pivoting screen, improved autofocus, MF peaking, remote control via smartphone and 24 megapixels vs. 18 are all very noticeable improvements.  The original has a hotshoe and came with a Speedlite 90EX which could control groups of other Speedlites including TTL flash metering.  The M100 had just been replaced by the M200, so it should be being remaindered.  It's available as a bargain twin-lens (15-45mm + 22mm) kit in some countries.  The M50 (with EVF and hotshoe) should be about twice the price of the outgoing M100 and I wouldn't pay more than half the price of the M100 unless I already had an extensive Speedlite outfit.

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,001
Good (great?) choice no matter how you look at it.

I mirror much of what has been written here, however, I must say that both the original M and the M2 that quickly followed, are superb little cameras, with excellent build quality.  I find the AF scenarios just fine for general photography and make sure your M has the FW update that speeds up the AF.  The M2 that came right after the M (and released only in Asia and Europe and not in the US) is another gem - and it's a tad smaller in size than the original M.

But more so than anything that I find refreshing - no matter how many times I use mine - is the superb traditional warm Canon color tonality that the images have.

What I'd suggest is to get one of the many after-market grips that you can screw in on the bottom (and allows access to the battery/memory card well without having to take the grip off).  The grip with the hand extension is the best.  Here is the US eBay link for all of them just as a FYI (the grip I recommend is shown by the first two grips on the top):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Camera+Hand+Grip+Quick+Release+L+Plate+Vertical+Bracket+for+Canon+EOS+M&_sacat=625

The best compliment that I can give is that "might" purchase another M because it's such a nice camera for the general photography type of shooting I do - but they are getting scarcer and scarcer.

-- hide signature --

Best of luck and health to you all!
Bernd ("Ben") Werner Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-PL7 +18 more
vibex_photos
vibex_photos Junior Member • Posts: 25

It depends. Are you willing to sacrifice image quality, autofocus speed, and most technical specs for good build quality, good portability and a very low cost? If so, you have your answer. I still have my old M and it’s still completely functional, but I will admit I haven’t picked it up in a while.

-- hide signature --

Check out my website in profile.

vibex_photos's gear list:vibex_photos's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 GoPro Hero (2018) Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

michoristo wrote:

Did you update the firmware?  If I recall correctly there was an update that improved tings a little. 
I wouldn't call it "absolute garbage" especially compared to what else was available for that price at that time (I got a "fire sale" M and adapters).
Using the M "back in the day" I managed to get a lot of "keepers" even of stuff in motion including kids running around.  Some of this was luck and some of this was just a lot of experience using bad cameras.
Yeah low-light was not great but neither was low-light on my DSLR I had at the time.  There is an AF assist lamp on the M that for close things worked OK in low light but a large lens could mess it up.

keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony a6000 Canon EOS M Sony a5100 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 702

The original M is a fine camera but having a M100 and M50 now I can say the M has retired now. Most of the time I use the M100 which is a steal for the low price now. The M50 is only used if I need the hotshoe for a Speedlite or microphone.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +2 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,001
Garbage...?

I've always advanced the notion that, "How is it that some folks can coax superb IQ results with a given camera, while others - try as they might - just can't seem get it right, and thus label the camera as faulty (perhaps even garbage)?"  Is it the camera, or better yet, "is it the person behind the LCD or viewfinder?"  I'm betting for the most part, it's the latter.

Now granted, one doesn't choose the original M for speed or sports scenarios.  But I've found that for general photography scenarios (landscape, scenics, architectural, and family), it does just fine (again, make sure to update the FW for that model to speed up the AF a bit).  Build-wise, and yes, IQ-wise, it can still stand up to the best of 'em now-a-days and that traditional rich, warm Canon color tonality is the icing on the cake.

-- hide signature --

Best of luck and health to you all!
Bernd ("Ben") Werner Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-PL7 +18 more
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,459
Back up camera you can carry in your pockets.

ChinusGomes wrote:

I have currently have a 6D but I've been wanting something smaller to carry around, I was looking around at some of the mirrorless ones.

I really liked the look of the sonys but then I saw an EOS-M cheap get that and a 22mm f/2 + maybe the adapter to so it also can be a back up body in a pinch.

I have an original M, an M6 (I) and an M50.  The one thing I really like about the original M and the 22mm lens is you can easily fit the M body (without lens) into a jeans pocket and the 22mm lens in a shirt pocket.  Neither the M6 or M50 bodies fit in a jeans pocket.  The adapter can fit in another jeans pocket.

A camera that you can carry in your pockets is a great backup camera.

Wayne

sosh
sosh Regular Member • Posts: 153

Original M, 18-55

sosh's gear list:sosh's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +4 more
OP ChinusGomes New Member • Posts: 2

ChinusGomes wrote:

I have currently have a 6D but I've been wanting something smaller to carry around, I was looking around at some of the mirrorless ones. word counter

I really liked the look of the sonys but then I saw an EOS-M cheap get that and a 22mm f/2 + maybe the adapter to so it also can be a back up body in a pinch. VidMate

issue solved!!

smozes Regular Member • Posts: 282

HaroldC3 wrote:

The M3 was a decent camera there's no doubt. It was my primary camera when I took my family vacation in Hawaii back in 2015 and I got great results from it.

1. The green vignette issue - some people noticed a green tint in the vignette and this was never addressed by Canon

2. AEB - the AEB bug basically caused the camera to take bracketed shots at like 1-2 fps. I don't recall if anyone actually discovered why.

3. Inconsistent WB - it seems like it was all over the place for me. I shot RAW and I spent a gret amount of time trying to get it correct.

Still, I do not regret my purchase. When I had it, it was definitely an upgrade from the M/M2.

At the time I discussed AEB with Canon support in Japan. Their final answer was that it's working as intended and they regret my inconvenience.

I haven't bought another M since.

smozes's gear list:smozes's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
KEG
KEG Senior Member • Posts: 2,996

smozes wrote:

HaroldC3 wrote:

At the time I discussed AEB with Canon support in Japan. Their final answer was that it's working as intended and they regret my inconvenience.

Well, this got changed in M5 so someone must have considered it a bug

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +16 more
Chris5437 New Member • Posts: 20

Did you make a decision? Last month I was in exactly the same situation with a 6D and wanting a lighter travel camera (that other family members could also easily use). I ended up buying a used but like new M100 from mpb for only 160 gbp, the 22mm also used but like new for 140 and a cheap viltrox adapter. I would have really liked eye-AF of the EV and controls of the M5, but for the budget I had I am very happy.

So far I have been super impressed with the M100. It has the same sensor and image processor as the M5. I'm mainly using it with the 22mm as a quick pick up and go camera. I've started not even taking the 6D sometimes now given how good the results are from the M100.

I'll be interested to hear what decision you made and how you are getting on.

(I think that the M100 sensor and processor is also the same as in the 77D body which sells for over 700 gbp! I think it is amazing value that you can buy a like new M100 body for 160 gbp).

Chris5437's gear list:Chris5437's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +3 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,177

smozes wrote:

HaroldC3 wrote:

That was just stubbornness on the part of Canon support. Every other M, that I know of, doesn't suffer from this bug. Since I never had the M3, I don't feel the same resentment towards Canon that (some) M3 owners (justifiably) feel. The latest M offerings are all superb. Basically, everything after the M3. I still love the feel of my original M, but I don't use it anymore. I've hardly picked up my M6 since getting the M6II.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 +26 more
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 817

Joo wrote:

Given one can pick up a good used M100 on eBay for about $200 (body only) if you are patient, the only reason to buy the original EOS M is to be able to run Magic Lantern. If you need a hotshoe, get an M6 off of eBay for ~ $300.

Does the M6/M6 II run Magic Lantern? The M100 does not seem to. Thx.

dpeete Contributing Member • Posts: 505

No, only the original M is fully supported. The M2 sorta works, but is shaky.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a7R III Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +14 more
Asla
Asla Contributing Member • Posts: 520

Hi!

I guess original M's todays cost secondhand next to nuthings. Low price is one reason I have not bothered to sell mine. I have M6 and other cameras, but M is still capable camera. Slowish af is about only reason I bought M6. M is still smaller camera and pretty sturdy. Yes, M100 for example woud provide much faster af, if you're also after speed...

A s l a

joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 817

dpeete wrote:

No, only the original M is fully supported. The M2 sorta works, but is shaky.

Thank you.

2ndact scene1 Regular Member • Posts: 255

The M was pretty unique when it first came out because you had to use the touchscreen for controlling the menu and you had the option of setting SS or aperture on the screen too. It was also a good quality touchscreen. Maybe micro 4/3 had those features first but it was a major innovation in canon land.

Personally, I found the controls to be less than ideal. You have to be very careful about what you touch and be very careful checking what function the control wheel is assigned to (typically exposure comp or aperture). I just found the controls got in the way of shooting (or I lacked the patience to use it properly) and stopped using it. Another issue was occasionally getting into the scene modes accidentally (I never use scene modes) by touching the shooting mode incorrectly and not knowing how to get back. I happened to take the camera out a few days ago and it happened again! - though I know how to fix the problem now.

Other than those practical issues, it does take great images. The touchscreen also works well when the camera is on a tripod, especially for panoramas with an adapted lens because the tripod mount on the canon adaptor allows you to rotate the camera around a point between the sensor and the lens.

So for situations where I can take my time shooting, maybe it is time to give the M a second chance.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus TG-5 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads