85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,874
Re: 85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be.

Yes - seems to me that the 85mm f/1.4G looks more pleasing (I know many people will ding it as not sharp or some other optical tests). I know the test is a bit unscientific - but most shots with a fast 85mm are not going to be on tripod anyway - and at least some shots will be a little hurried (not with the best of shot disciplines).

Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Thanks for posting. Of course the decision to make for you would be whether it is OK to sell 85mm f/1.4G with a fair amount of depreciation, yet still be comparable with the 85mm f/1.8S in price. If you value portability, then 85mm f/1.8S is a no-brainer. If on the other hand, build quality, etc. are your thing then a somewhat older 85mm f/1.4G may likely still withstand more rough treatment and may last longer.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +10 more
ballwin12 Regular Member • Posts: 338
If you have a Z camera...

If you have Z6/7, then Z 85mm 1.8S is the best choice for now, period. I don't see anything to complain about it.( also 50mm 1.8S)

Nikon changed the definition of 1.8 lenses by introducing 1.8S line. All are excellent.

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 1,915

Thank you for posting these.  I have been considering moving off my f/1.4G lenses in favor of S mount since I have decided to move away from F mount for most of my photography, and threads like these help.  I already have the 50S, and can see selling my 24/1.4G, 35/1.4G and 85/1.4G to get the S mount f/1.8 equivalents.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +73 more
syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

stimmer wrote:

But I do think shooting under duress like you really would shoot in real life is a good test.

Well not really. You want to know what each lens can do given well controlled conditions. Like all testing, you have to try to eliminate as many variables as possible. Once you do this you should find that the S lens will shine in superior sharpness and low LoCA.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +7 more
rob de shan New Member • Posts: 15

Thanks for these shots. 1.4g looks much more pleasing despite the technical "shortcomings". These new sharpness-uber-all designs are devoid of any character in my view. The colours are also richer on the g design from my testing. Finally, as opposed to the G lenses where the drawing is actually defined by their optics, Nikon Z mount lenses have correction baked-in within the raw file.

MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,924

rob de shan wrote:

Finally, as opposed to the G lenses where the drawing is actually defined by their optics, Nikon Z mount lenses have correction baked-in within the raw file.

You opinion would be a lot more valuable if it actually adhered to factual reality. The 85 1.8 S doesn't need software correction any more than its F mount predecessors (or any S prime so far), as softwares which can disable them can easily show (C1 for example). One could argue that it needs even less software correction in post in general (lot less CA of all kinds).

rob de shan New Member • Posts: 15

Hey, you're right the baked-in lens profile do not apply to this design, it makes no difference whatsoever. I stand corrected!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads