85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Took a few quick snaps tonight.  Don't know how the comparison will look to you guys but wanted to throw it out there for those who are interested.

85mm 1.4G

85mm 1.8S

85mm 1.4G

85mm 1.8S

85mm 1.8S

85MM 1.8 S

85MM 1.8S

JonJonJam Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: 85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Not sure whether I can comment on anything here other than bokeh quality which seems fine on the 85S in comparison.   If looking at sharpness please increase the shutter speed.   Imo there is no advantage to have ISO at 200 vast majority of the time.

JonJonJam's gear list:JonJonJam's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +7 more
A Owens Veteran Member • Posts: 3,415

Unlike Pooch, I am impressed. The bokeh of the S is very nice. It gives nothing away to the G.

Are all other settings the same? The colours are quite different. I much prefer the S colours but is it all up to the lens?

OP stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not.  I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be. Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Oldwino Regular Member • Posts: 224

f1.8 is the new f1.4.

Oldwino's gear list:Oldwino's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +9 more
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,210

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be. Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Your G has CA everywhere, where the S has none. Look at his arms/hands, ankles/sneakers and the pots with red flowers in the background, by the stairs, for example.

Only odd thing here is the S should be sharper, but sharpness looks the same, though it looks like it has some blur...was IBIS on? Looks like you got lucky and have a sharp 85 G in your hands. Hardly any difference in bokeh between 1.4 and 1.8 here though, so in that case, what's the point in keeping the G, assuming the S will focus better/faster on a z body?

Also funny how the G has the traditional Nikon green tint, but the S has the opposite tint towards magenta.

What pic control did you use? Try a few more in neutral pic control, higher shutter speed, iso 100, IBIS on normal?

Are these RAWs exported from LR or SOOC JPEGs?

What AF mode did you use?

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
ipopov Forum Member • Posts: 88

Were camera and model positions unchanged? Z 18/1.8 S shots look somewhat wider.

MSullivan Regular Member • Posts: 144

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

Your G has CA everywhere, where the S has none. Look at his arms/hands, ankles/sneakers and the pots with red flowers in the background, by the stairs, for example.

Only odd thing here is the S should be sharper, but sharpness looks the same, though it looks like it has some blur...was IBIS on? Looks like you got lucky and have a sharp 85 G in your hands. Hardly any difference in bokeh between 1.4 and 1.8 here though, so in that case, what's the point in keeping the G, assuming the S will focus better/faster on a z body?

Also funny how the G has the traditional Nikon green tint, but the S has the opposite tint towards magenta.

What pic control did you use? Try a few more in neutral pic control, higher shutter speed, iso 100, IBIS on normal?

The funny thing is, looking at these photos at web sizes and not zooming in much the LoCA of the G lens actually seems to give the image more 'character', whereas the S lens feels more clinical, at least to me. Still, you can see that the LoCA is adding a lot of green to the OOF backgrounds.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +4 more
Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,202

The CA on the 85mm 1.4 G is ugly, and was rectified in lenses like the 105mm 1.4 E lens. I'd sell while you still can and keep the 85mm 1.8 S. Better future proofing as well.

Jonathan F/2's gear list:Jonathan F/2's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more

I didn't notice the CA too much.  I agree with you I think I have a sharp copy of the 85G.  I don't think it's a crazy amount of difference between the two at all.

I have noticed a tint toward green with the 85G.  Seems to handle flare okay if not perfectly.

I need to try this test under controlled conditions.  I had people walking around us and I was switching lenses and I didn't get the same focal length each time either.  It really does look like blur or shutter shock with the 85S lens.  Not sure why but I never have IS turned off so I need to look at that.

I think there is a little difference in 1.4 vs 1.8.  Subtle but it's there.  My only reason for keeping that lens is just to avoid the trouble of selling it and just returning the 85S.

It also LOOKS more impressive but it doesn't mean that it is more impressive.  I need to try it out a little more.  I have a photoshoot Sunday and I think I will use the 85S lens a bunch to try it under pressure.

If I can get the results I want easily and I can sell the 85G then I will probably go that way.

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

There is a character of the 85G that is there. Definitely less clinical in nature.  More issues to work around but in good light it's still a great lens.

MSullivan wrote:

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

The funny thing is, looking at these photos at web sizes and not zooming in much the LoCA of the G lens actually seems to give the image more 'character', whereas the S lens feels more clinical, at least to me. Still, you can see that the LoCA is adding a lot of green to the OOF backgrounds.

Definitely moved around so the perspective was different.  I need to try this test on a tripod with manual exposure settings.  But I do think shooting under duress like you really would shoot in real life is a good test.

SaltyPeanut

stimmer wrote:

I didn't notice the CA too much. I agree with you I think I have a sharp copy of the 85G. I don't think it's a crazy amount of difference between the two at all.

I have noticed a tint toward green with the 85G. Seems to handle flare okay if not perfectly.

I need to try this test under controlled conditions. I had people walking around us and I was switching lenses and I didn't get the same focal length each time either. It really does look like blur or shutter shock with the 85S lens. Not sure why but I never have IS turned off so I need to look at that.

Set the shutter type to AUTO.

I think there is a little difference in 1.4 vs 1.8. Subtle but it's there. My only reason for keeping that lens is just to avoid the trouble of selling it and just returning the 85S.

It also LOOKS more impressive but it doesn't mean that it is more impressive. I need to try it out a little more. I have a photoshoot Sunday and I think I will use the 85S lens a bunch to try it under pressure.

If I can get the results I want easily and I can sell the 85G then I will probably go that way.

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR

Wide area with eye detection.

SaltyPeanut

stimmer wrote:

Wide area with eye detection.

AF-C right?

Af-s

LarsHP
LarsHP Forum Member • Posts: 64

Thanks for posting your test shots.

However, in terms of sharpness, we can't compare them. In the first comparison the 85S is front-focused (sharpness is on the hands, not the face) and in the next comparison the 85S shot is quite shaken (has motion blur).

If feel confident that if you redo the test on tripod and fixed motive, the sharpness of the 85S will shine and the 85G will look a bit soft in comparison.

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +9 more
SaltyPeanut

stimmer wrote:

Af-s

This may explain the motion blur. Try AF-C next time.

rubank Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

Unfortunately every image is misfocussed, and add to that clear motion blur.

So what are you trying to prove?

Not trying to prove anything. Just posted some quick snaps that I took to give a little context for anybody who might be in the same boat. I’ve got some more shooting to do before I decide.  It was last minute and getting dark and switching lenses proved to be problematic for me trying to give a similar comparison.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads