RF 70-200F2.8L specs leaked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
RF 70-200F2.8L specs leaked

From Nokishita: MFD 0.7 meters, 0.23x magnification, 77mm filter diameter, 89.9mm x 146mm, 1070g.

Let me reiterate. 1070g.

For reference, EF 70-200F2.8L3 is 1460g. Wow.

It may have something to do with the fact that the EF has 23 elements in 17 groups, while the RF only has 17 elements in 13 groups.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Peter Kwok
Peter Kwok Senior Member • Posts: 2,467
Re: RF 70-200F2.8L specs leaked

Yes, significantly lighter than all EF versions.

Sigh... it is still too heavy for me.  Waiting for similar weight reduction on a F4 version.

-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
shawnphoto Regular Member • Posts: 361

Peter Kwok wrote:

Sigh... it is still too heavy for me. Waiting for similar weight reduction on a F4 version.

Don't hold your breath. I doubt Canon does slower versions of lenses anytime soon for RF mount. And I don’t blame them. One advantage of FF is the bokeh producing possibilities. If you don’t care enough about that to carry a big lens there’s always EOS M.

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Thoughts R Us
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,774
Re: RF 70-200F2.8L specs - WOW

quiquae wrote:

From Nokishita: MFD 0.7 meters, 0.23x magnification, 77mm filter diameter, 89.9mm x 146mm, 1070g.

Let me reiterate. 1070g.

It may have something to do with the fact that the EF has 23 elements in 17 groups, while the RF only has 17 elements in 13 groups.

Thanks for pointing that weight reduction out.

For me a 70-200 is one of the most important lenses to have in any kit, and this new RF design looks to be groundbreaking in many ways.

The smaller size when not extended will make it much easier to carry and store in a bag, the lighter weight of course will be very nice, and the MFD is only 0.7 m, compared with 1.2 m with the EF 70-200 L III lens.

This is a lens that for some can easily justify the entire system.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,865

Pretty impressive assuming the optics match those of the EF mk3.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,003

That 13+ ounces could mean a lot to an event shooter over a long day. Damn...

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,527

Peter Kwok wrote:

Sigh... it is still too heavy for me. Waiting for similar weight reduction on a F4 version.

It sounds if the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM is too heavy for you as well.

That lens plus the basic EF adapter is only 188g lighter than the weight quoted for the RF lens. That's 6½ ounces in Imperial units, nearly the weight of a PowerShot S95 or G9 X. it's a lot cheaper and it also had 5 stops' worth of IS but it's still missing out on a stops' worth of movement reduction and/or depth of field restriction.

Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 974
Nice size and weight

If only my bank acct could afford it.  I think I will have one of these someday though.

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +6 more

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I think it will exceed the EF mk3. It will have all the new coatings and the new design subtracts 5 elements. This theoretically should make the lens brighter, more contrasty, and less prone to flare.

I sincerely doubt it will not exceed the EF mk3 by a significant margin.

Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,865

We’ll see, however, I will be pretty surprised if it doesn’t equal it.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

lighthunter80
lighthunter80 Contributing Member • Posts: 756

quiquae wrote:

From Nokishita: MFD 0.7 meters, 0.23x magnification, 77mm filter diameter, 89.9mm x 146mm, 1070g.

Let me reiterate. 1070g.

If this lens is optically as good as the current EF mk III version then Canon has taken a massive leap forward in lens design and innovation.

Sincedecades 70-200 f2.8 zooms have been around the 1.5kg mark. A weight saving of about a quarter is simply stunning!

I own the EF version mk II and love it's results every time I use it but weight is definitely an issue when I travel.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +1 more
dmanthree

Agree on the weight while traveling. But I've got to believe a wedding or event shooter will love a much lighter version of this staple lens. Looking forward to seeing the results.

But I'm really looking forward to an f4 version...

-- hide signature --

CanonIsAwesome
CanonIsAwesome Junior Member • Posts: 27

Very cool lens.. just hope it is no dust sucker but maybe i get the 15-35 first and keep my 70-200  is ii for a while

CanonIsAwesome's gear list:CanonIsAwesome's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 685

dmanthree wrote:

Agree on the weight while traveling. But I've got to believe a wedding or event shooter will love a much lighter version of this staple lens. Looking forward to seeing the results.

There have been no rumors of an F/4. But there have been rumors of a 16-28 F/2 non-IS. It could mean that besides the 2.8 IS trinity there is a F/2 non-IS trinity which could mean no plans for a third i.e. F/4 trinity.

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,543

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I switched to Nikon last year - but that's (EF 70-200 2.8 III) a lens I miss!

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D750
dmanthree

joenj wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

There have been no rumors of an F/4. But there have been rumors of a 16-28 F/2 non-IS. It could mean that besides the 2.8 IS trinity there is a F/2 non-IS trinity which could mean no plans for a third i.e. F/4 trinity.

Understood, but I'd still love to see what Canon could do to lighten my bag with some f4 RF lenses. Honestly, I have no need for extra speed.

In the meantime, I'll suffer with the lenses I have; the RF 24-105 and EF 70-300 L.

-- hide signature --

joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 685

dmanthree wrote:

joenj wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Understood, but I'd still love to see what Canon could do to lighten my bag with some f4 RF lenses. Honestly, I have no need for extra speed.

In the meantime, I'll suffer with the lenses I have; the RF 24-105 and EF 70-300 L.

That's fair enough. Good luck.

dmanthree wrote:

joenj wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

The problem with f/4 lenses is that they're totally antiquated by modern standards. There's no reason to make them other than lightweight. And it seems Canon is pulling out all the stops to keep their fast glass relatively light this time around...

In other words, don't be surprised if an f/4 trinity never happens for the RF mount.

OP quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,567

shawnphoto wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

joenj wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

The problem with f/4 lenses is that they're totally antiquated by modern standards. There's no reason to make them other than lightweight. And it seems Canon is pulling out all the stops to keep their fast glass relatively light this time around...

In other words, don't be surprised if an f/4 trinity never happens for the RF mount.

An interesting story that might scare children at night, if it weren't for the fact that RF 24-105 *F4* L was announced on launch day....

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +10 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,578

shawnphoto wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I think it will exceed the EF mk3. It will have all the new coatings and the new design subtracts 5 elements. This theoretically should make the lens brighter, more contrasty, and less prone to flare.

I sincerely doubt it will not exceed the EF mk3 by a significant margin.

I think that exceeding the EF mk3 "by a significant margin" is very optimistic. If it can match it, with those size and weight gains, job done. Buyers flock here with credit cards already out.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads