Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,442
Re: Olympus 12-45mm f4

SHood wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Oly put out a vague roadmap in January. It left a lot of people scratching their heads.

It would be great to know what's next.

I hope something is released before the spring release of the 150-400.

We know what's next. The 150/400/4.5 in early 2020.

But what about the rumoured 8-25mm/f4 PRO? Or the consumer grade super-tele to compete with the PL100-400mm?

There was a bunch of stuff on the roadmap that people would love to know more about.

Agreed, that roadmap is still pretty vague, it's almost a joke... Oly seems to be leaking stuff with much less lead time these days, and 43rumors seems to be pretty off these days... Only thing I've seen on the matter is this:

https://asobinet.com/info-patent-oy-8-25mm-f4/

I'm curious to see just how small Oly could make an 8-25 f4 tho, not sure I'd take the extra length over the extra speed/wideness on my PL8-18 but it'd just be nice to see them make a smaller zoom than Pana's alternative for once (9-18 aside, and 75-300 to a small extent).

A new lens roadmap is getting announced tomorrow. it looks like Olympus will provide more details on the focal lengths and aperture. But I can still see lots of complaining as the lenses won't match exactly what some were expecting.

Yeah, can't make everyone happy... I for one welcome any and all advance details they wanna share via roadmaps. The new Pro 12-45 f4 seems a little odd but I'm guessing it'll become their defacto kit zoom in the future and it'll make for more appealing kits than the outgoing 12-50 or the 14-150 they're currently using in US kits. I'm curious to see how small it ends up being but I doubt it'll be more than a couple hundred cheaper than the f2.8 zooms when those are on sale.

The non-Pro 100-400 will fill quite a long standing void for Olympus and I'm guessing that's the most exciting announcement right now, I'm curious about it even tho I bought the 100-300 II in 2018 (the PL100-400 was just too large and too much $ for the occasional use I'd give it). They've got a couple more unspecified teles on that roadmap still (possibly an f4 pair for the 14-45), and there's that big vague swatch of Pro primes... I'm cautiously encouraged even tho my kit is lacking very little.

I thought Oly had been focusing way too much on the ultra high end stuff for the last couple years, and I'm not even hating on that stuff (I bought a 17/1.2 when it came out, about to buy an E-M5 III, and also grabbed a refurb 75/1.8 last year)... It just seemed like Pana had a more balanced approach and less holes in the lineup (for zooms particularly, their prime line has always been less cohesive than Oly's tho... both aesthetically and as far as specs).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +31 more
OP HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,169

Impulses wrote:

SHood wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Oly put out a vague roadmap in January. It left a lot of people scratching their heads.

But what about the rumoured 8-25mm/f4 PRO? Or the consumer grade super-tele to compete with the PL100-400mm?

There was a bunch of stuff on the roadmap that people would love to know more about.

Agreed, that roadmap is still pretty vague, it's almost a joke... Oly seems to be leaking stuff with much less lead time these days, and 43rumors seems to be pretty off these days... Only thing I've seen on the matter is this:

I'm curious to see just how small Oly could make an 8-25 f4 tho, not sure I'd take the extra length over the extra speed/wideness on my PL8-18 but it'd just be nice to see them make a smaller zoom than Pana's alternative for once (9-18 aside, and 75-300 to a small extent).

A new lens roadmap is getting announced tomorrow. it looks like Olympus will provide more details on the focal lengths and aperture. But I can still see lots of complaining as the lenses won't match exactly what some were expecting.

Yeah, can't make everyone happy... I for one welcome any and all advance details they wanna share via roadmaps. The new Pro 12-45 f4 seems a little odd but I'm guessing it'll become their defacto kit zoom in the future and it'll make for more appealing kits than the outgoing 12-50 or the 14-150 they're currently using in US kits. I'm curious to see how small it ends up being but I doubt it'll be more than a couple hundred cheaper than the f2.8 zooms when those are on sale.

The non-Pro 100-400 will fill quite a long standing void for Olympus and I'm guessing that's the most exciting announcement right now, I'm curious about it even tho I bought the 100-300 II in 2018 (the PL100-400 was just too large and too much $ for the occasional use I'd give it). They've got a couple more unspecified teles on that roadmap still (possibly an f4 pair for the 14-45), and there's that big vague swatch of Pro primes... I'm cautiously encouraged even tho my kit is lacking very little.

I thought Oly had been focusing way too much on the ultra high end stuff for the last couple years, and I'm not even hating on that stuff (I bought a 17/1.2 when it came out, about to buy an E-M5 III, and also grabbed a refurb 75/1.8 last year)... It just seemed like Pana had a more balanced approach and less holes in the lineup (for zooms particularly, their prime line has always been less cohesive than Oly's tho... both aesthetically and as far as specs).

I generally agree with you, although timeframe and prices are helpful for budgeting.

The 12-45 is intriguing. How will it differ from the 12-40 pro? Does Oly include Pro lenses with kits?

It will also be interesting to see how Oly's 100-400 lens will compare with the older Panny 100-400. At least it will fit in Oly bodies! Kudos to Panasonic for recognizing a deficiency in their competitor's lineup.

My primary interest is the 150-400. That appears to be a real game changer. Based on what little info we've seen I don't see the others finding a way into my gear stable. Like you, I'm happy with what I've got now.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,442

HRC2016 wrote:

Impulses wrote:

SHood wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

I generally agree with you, although timeframe and prices are helpful for budgeting.

The 12-45 is intriguing. How will it differ from the 12-40 pro? Does Oly include Pro lenses with kits?

They've done kits with the 12-40 f2.8 in the past IIRC (possibly still doing so in the EU), tho I dunno if the combo discount was much more than say the now common $200-off sales, but I do remember there being a halfway decent discount. I'd hope it's at least a little smaller than the 12-40 too (like the 12-35/2.8 maybe?), but Oly hasn't made a lot of zooms where small is the priority (9-18 aside!) so we'll see.

M4/3 is definitely more spoiled for lens choices than ever... A few more cheap(er) primes with sealing would be nice but otherwise there's a ton of variety to choose from.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +31 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,802
Re: No lens announcements?

Impulses wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

I’d replace my 40-150mm f2.8 in a heartbeat with an updated version 2 that includes in-lens IS. Dual IS, especially when using this lens with the MC20, would be a great update.

Probably would have to sell the remainder of stock from the warehouse first. The lens is unlikely to be in continuous production but batched into stock in a warehouse and sold from there.

If it is selling well (as it should) then there is no incentive to re-engineer it as a second model.

If it is not selling well then it might take some time before they make an updated version. But the cost/benefit of putting the re-engineering into an upgraded version, and how much the extra cost might effect sale,s must be balanced against building completely new lenses - which also seem to take a long gestation period - must be balanced to economic reality.

Of course if it is selling terribly badly then they might not even bother making another batch.

Out of the entire lens range released from Oly and Pana, there has not yet been one discontinued and replaced yet. There have been some exterior changes with version 2 lenses but that is all. Oly have reportedly, with version 2 lenses, added updated nano type coatings to the front element, but nothing else internally. I wonder why there have been no replacements?

That's not very accurate mate. There's been lenses that were never very popular and were outright discontinued (17/2.8, 12-50), and there's been significant changes in some of the mk II variants when it comes to OIS, focus motors or capabilities, and weather sealing (more so on Pana's end tho, Oly's updates have mostly been about aesthetics and sealing)... The old 100-300 had an aperture mechanism that couldn't keep up with modern C-AF and burst rates, night and day difference vs the mk II...

So there's definitely been some significant upgrades to some older lenses.

I think most of the time if there's an optical redesign the company prefers to just give it a new name and model number tho, but even that has happened within M4/3 even if not quite as often. The original Pana 14-140 f4-5.6 (not the 4/3 lens, there was a M4/3 one too) was larger and suffered from zoom creep, not a great mechanical design. The newer 14-140 f3.5-5.6 that replaced it was a complete redesign, it's significantly smaller (and they have since released an mk II of that one which added weather sealing and tweaked the cosmetics).

Even the cosmetic updates are sometimes significant, the 20mm II gained a very nice looking metal body while also shedding weight compared to the original.

Your definition of a new version is different to mine, but I didn't know about the Pana 14-140... optically and mechanically completely different from the discontinued model. Thanks for that!

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads