No lens announcements?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Doug Janis Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: No lens announcements?

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Oly put out a vague roadmap in January. It left a lot of people scratching their heads.

It would be great to know what's next.

I hope something is released before the spring release of the 150-400.

We know what's next. The 150/400/4.5 in early 2020.

But what about the rumoured 8-25mm/f4 PRO? Or the consumer grade super-tele to compete with the PL100-400mm?

There was a bunch of stuff on the roadmap that people would love to know more about.

The 8-24/4 is just a patent. Think 5 years before we see that as every company, even using standardized focal lengths, has to develop their own proprietary lens formula for intellectual property reasons.

Doug Janis's gear list:Doug Janis's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +3 more

Androole wrote:

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Small f2 WR PRO primes ala Fujicron.

How useful are small primes in rain? You can't mount lens shade long enough to protect front element from water drops which will ruin image. Tele lenses have deep shades and have no such issue.

You don't need much, but anything in the 35-50mm equivalent (I'd actually love a weather-sealed 40-45mm as my first choice) would be useful for rainy night photography, which makes for gorgeous images.

And you can pretty easily have a usable lens hood, it just needs to be a big one. The limiting factor is not the physical size, it's making sure that the angle is large enough that it doesn't get in the way. The best way is a large rubber, collapsible hood - you just need to make sure that it subtends a >60 degree angle so that it doesn't get in the picture.

Olympus has that.

It's the f/1.2s stopped down.

Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +3 more

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Yep, the whole idea of a tiny weather sealed body makes a lot more sense when there are tiny weather sealed lenses to go with it.

Nail on head! The irony is that I’ve invested in the 17mm and 45mm 1.2 Pro lenses, simply because they are sensational. But they tend to live on my non WR Pen-F........

Yes, and when used some PRO lenses, may it be zooms or f1.2 primes, the size difference looks like this.

I know it’s daft isn’t it? what’s the point of the new EM5-3 and WR if their are no small and good WR lenses to put on it? 😂

Because not that small for the trade-off in max aperture:

http://j.mp/2Mqt03u

Vahur Krouverk Contributing Member • Posts: 729

A_Mist wrote:

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

How useful are small primes in rain? You can't mount lens shade long enough to protect front element from water drops which will ruin image. Tele lenses have deep shades and have no such issue.

I must remaind again that WR means more than just ”rain protection”. I’ve said this before: live in Finland, where it’s real winter for at least 3-4 months a year, and rainy springs and autumns. Actually rainy summers too I regularly use my cameras in -20 or even -30 degrees celsius. At those temperatures camera often gets covered with ice, so every bit of added resistance is a plus.

I live bit south from Finland so I've seen snow ;). But for most people weather resistance means protection against water and dust.

For low temperatures small things don't work anyway as their handling with gloves is problematic. E-M1 is in usability borderline with gloves, also small lenses become problematic to handle or hold.

Androole Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Doug Janis wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Yep, the whole idea of a tiny weather sealed body makes a lot more sense when there are tiny weather sealed lenses to go with it.

Nail on head! The irony is that I’ve invested in the 17mm and 45mm 1.2 Pro lenses, simply because they are sensational. But they tend to live on my non WR Pen-F........

Yes, and when used some PRO lenses, may it be zooms or f1.2 primes, the size difference looks like this.

I know it’s daft isn’t it? what’s the point of the new EM5-3 and WR if their are no small and good WR lenses to put on it? 😂

Except that f1.2 on M4/3 is equivalent to just under f/1.6 on APS-C.

And the 17mm/f1.2 still has higher resolving power at all apertures than any 23mm lens in Fuji's system when normalized for image height (lw/ph).

Androole's gear list:Androole's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 YI M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +3 more
A_Mist
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 293

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

I must remaind again that WR means more than just ”rain protection”. I’ve said this before: live in Finland, where it’s real winter for at least 3-4 months a year, and rainy springs and autumns. Actually rainy summers too I regularly use my cameras in -20 or even -30 degrees celsius. At those temperatures camera often gets covered with ice, so every bit of added resistance is a plus.

I live bit south from Finland so I've seen snow ;). But for most people weather resistance means protection against water and dust.

For low temperatures small things don't work anyway as their handling with gloves is problematic. E-M1 is in usability borderline with gloves, also small lenses become problematic to handle or hold.

Even smaller cameras can be used with some gloves, not all are so cumbersome. And my point was, that some people actually need WR, not only when it rains a little, but in winter activities, in dusty environments, rain forests, sailing in the sea or lake, you name it. And when one has WR body, it’d be nice to have WR lens as well. And currently Olympus doesn’t offer small WR lenses like Fujicrons, unfortunately.

A_Mist's gear list:A_Mist's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +10 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,412

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

You don't need much, but anything in the 35-50mm equivalent (I'd actually love a weather-sealed 40-45mm as my first choice) would be useful for rainy night photography, which makes for gorgeous images.

And you can pretty easily have a usable lens hood, it just needs to be a big one. The limiting factor is not the physical size, it's making sure that the angle is large enough that it doesn't get in the way. The best way is a large rubber, collapsible hood - you just need to make sure that it subtends a >60 degree angle so that it doesn't get in the picture.

Olympus has that.

It's the f/1.2s stopped down.

Meh, I own a 17/1.2 and I love it but for people looking at Fuji's f2 WR primes with envy that's not even remotely a decent answer... The PL25 II however, will do the trick, terrible non reversible hood notwhistansing... The flat side of that hood might even pool water drops, tho I've heard the 45/2.8 macro's hood will also work.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +31 more

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

There's a couple, fewer than I'd like but still... The upcoming PL25 II seems like one of the better options. Sigma's may not be as robustly sealed but the 56/1.4 is no larger than the PL25 and also has a gasket at the mount at the very least, there's also the 60/2.8 macro, the 8/1.8 fisheye, and the Sigma 16/1.4 (granted that one's just as large as the Oly Pro primes).

I preordered the PL25 II almost out of principle (almost, I've used/borrowed the original a lot so I know what I'm getting). I'd been saying for ages a sealed PL25 II just made sense (still carries a premium, just less so, easier to update since it's plastic), and I wanted a sealed prime smaller than my 17/1.2 so... We'll see how I get along with 25mm as a FL in the long run.

Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +31 more
A_Mist

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

And the 17mm/f1.2 still has higher resolving power at all apertures than any 23mm lens in Fuji's system when normalized for image height (lw/ph).

Let’s not talk about equivalences, please!?! Not again! I’m just saying Olympus should make some small PRO primes to complement small WR body. f1.2 PRO primes are excellent but quite big.

Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +10 more

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Then buy Fuji or buy the m43 f/1.2.

A_Mist wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Let’s not talk about equivalences, please!?! Not again! I’m just saying Olympus should make some small PRO primes to complement small WR body. f1.2 PRO primes are excellent but quite big.

The Olympus f/1.2 PRO lenses with WR are their development response meeting BOTH the PRO needs of faster glass and WR.

Compared to a Fuji WR f/2, they are "close enough" in form.

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Oly put out a vague roadmap in January. It left a lot of people scratching their heads.

But what about the rumoured 8-25mm/f4 PRO? Or the consumer grade super-tele to compete with the PL100-400mm?

There was a bunch of stuff on the roadmap that people would love to know more about.

Agreed, that roadmap is still pretty vague, it's almost a joke... Oly seems to be leaking stuff with much less lead time these days, and 43rumors seems to be pretty off these days... Only thing I've seen on the matter is this:

https://asobinet.com/info-patent-oy-8-25mm-f4/

I'm curious to see just how small Oly could make an 8-25 f4 tho, not sure I'd take the extra length over the extra speed/wideness on my PL8-18 but it'd just be nice to see them make a smaller zoom than Pana's alternative for once (9-18 aside, and 75-300 to a small extent).

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

The 8-24/4 is just a patent. Think 5 years before we see that as every company, even using standardized focal lengths, has to develop their own proprietary lens formula for intellectual property reasons.

It's not just a patent, it's on the roadmap, plain as day. "Wide Zoom Lens" with the exact right focal range.

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 YI M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +3 more
A_Mist

Impulses wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

There's a couple, fewer than I'd like but still... The upcoming PL25 II seems like one of the better options. Sigma's may not be as robustly sealed but the 56/1.4 is no larger than the PL25 and also has a gasket at the mount at the very least, there's also the 60/2.8 macro, the 8/1.8 fisheye, and the Sigma 16/1.4 (granted that one's just as large as the Oly Pro primes).

I preordered the PL25 II almost out of principle (almost, I've used/borrowed the original a lot so I know what I'm getting). I'd been saying for ages a sealed PL25 II just made sense (still carries a premium, just less so, easier to update since it's plastic), and I wanted a sealed prime smaller than my 17/1.2 so... We'll see how I get along with 25mm as a FL in the long run.

Yes, PL 25/1.4 ii is good option. I’ll buy one too. Still, it hardly makes E-M5.3 any more pocketable than E-M1.2, as you need a bag anyway.

BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 480

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

I totally agree, I own the 17mm 1.2 and it’s the best lens I’ve ever owned. It’s sensational. There is no lens in M43 that comes even close. If you want smaller and WR you’re completely out of luck though.

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

It's not just a patent, it's on the roadmap, plain as day. "Wide Zoom Lens" with the exact right focal range.

Those are just common and standard FLs put in for potential "holding".

The ones with actual numbers are in real world development.

The next release is clearly noted.

Just look at the silliness of the "Bright Prime Lens" holding text indicating a massive potential range. Given it's a prime, we actually have no idea....

Given the dramatically shrinking dedicated camera market we can expect only 1-2 lenses (including remakes) per year from Olympus going forward. If the market isn't growing, then the lens inventory will not grow either.

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

You say that, but then Olympus released the 12-200mm/f3.5-6.3 which fit directly into the range described by the "High Magnification Zoom Lens."

I'm not saying the 8-25/f4 is a guarantee, but there's good evidence that's piling up to suggest that it's a real product.

Just look at the silliness of the "Bright Prime Lens" holding text indicating a massive potential range. Given it's a prime, we actually have no idea....

Given the dramatically shrinking dedicated camera market we can expect only 1-2 lenses (including remakes) per year from Olympus going forward. If the market isn't growing, then the lens inventory will not grow either.

whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,785

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

It actually says "Bright Prime Lenses" which is probably why the range is fairly wide. It could very well represent exactly what many are hoping for, versions of the current f/1.8 prime lenses but with pro level build quality and weather sealing.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more

A_Mist wrote:

Impulses wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

Yes, PL 25/1.4 ii is good option. I’ll buy one too. Still, it hardly makes E-M5.3 any more pocketable than E-M1.2, as you need a bag anyway.

To me it makes a bigger difference than that image would suggest... But if what you're looking is something downright pocketable then you might be looking for a while, I'm not aware of many pancake primes in other systems that are weather sealed and even the smallest of non-pancakes would protrude past the E-M1 II grip.

I carry my E-M5 II in a waist pack (worn sling style) pretty often, it wraps all around the camera body and depending on what else I'm throwing in there I might even bag it with a pancake mounted and then swap when I'm shooting. The extra grip and general bulkiness of say a G85 or even the E-M1 II makes a world of difference not easily shown by that top-down comparison.

Oh and as an aside, the grass isn't always greener... Fuji might make small WR primes but AFAIK the X-T2/3 and X-Pro 2 are still their only WR bodies (well, and the X-H1), which are both larger and more expensive at $1,500, it's kinda ironic (almost cruel heh).

https://camerasize.com/compact/#835,650,800,ha,f

https://camerasize.com/compact/#835.844,650.596,800.596,ha,t

A_Mist

Impulses wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

Impulses wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

whumber wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

garryr wrote:

What’s missing?

To me it makes a bigger difference than that image would suggest... But if what you're looking is something downright pocketable then you might be looking for a while, I'm not aware of many pancake primes in other systems that are weather sealed and even the smallest of non-pancakes would protrude past the E-M1 II grip.

I carry my E-M5 II in a waist pack (worn sling style) pretty often, it wraps all around the camera body and depending on what else I'm throwing in there I might even bag it with a pancake mounted and then swap when I'm shooting. The extra grip and general bulkiness of say a G85 or even the E-M1 II makes a world of difference not easily shown by that top-down comparison.

Oh and as an aside, the grass isn't always greener... Fuji might make small WR primes but AFAIK the X-T2/3 and X-Pro 2 are still their only WR bodies (well, and the X-H1), which are both larger and more expensive at $1,500, it's kinda ironic (almost cruel heh).

https://camerasize.com/compact/#835,650,800,ha,f

https://camerasize.com/compact/#835.844,650.596,800.596,ha,t

Yes, I have X-T3 and it’s currently 1099e with fuji casback (normal price 1299e), so it’s actually the same or even cheaper than E-M5.3 will be. But this is a different story and topic

And it’s of course true that even though E-M3.5 and e.g. PL25mm/1.4ii is not pocketable, the combo is still a bit lighter than with E-M1.2. Does this make a difference? It’s subjective.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads