Buying an APS-C body instead of new lens

Started Oct 17, 2019 | Discussions
GF Regular Member • Posts: 282
Buying an APS-C body instead of new lens

I own A7 M2 and a 24mm f1.4 GM. I found that in some situation, the lens is a bit wide. I am considering to buy a 35mm f1.4. After seeing the APS-C mode, I am thinking of getting a APS-C body instead of the lens. The reasons are as follows:

1. Body is cheaper than 35mm f1.4 lens

2. Have a backup camera.

3. Weight is lighter than the lens.

4. My other lenses (16-35mm & 55mm) focal length increased.

5. Higher resolution compare to my A7M2 crop.

Any drawbacks? Please share your idea.

GF's gear list:GF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D +7 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,768
Re: Buying an APS-C body instead of new lens

15 years ago I was contemplating adding a digital camera for work purposes to my MF and 35mm film systems. I didn't feel like spending the thousands of dollars on a FF digital body so I decided to try an APS-C body since I didn't know if I would stay with digital.

Over time I found the APS-C rig being used more than my film rigs mostly because it was much more convenient to process, print and deliver digital files than film based work. I found that APS-C suited me for the vast majority of the work and I could always rent a FF digital body if I felt the need so I never bothered to purchase a digital FF body.

For me, another benefit of renting digital FF when I felt the need was I could get the latest and greatest body and lenses without tying up a bunch of money in purchasing technology that changes somewhat rapidly.

-- hide signature --

My policy is to not post images to the 'net.

The Ryantist Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

On APS-C you will lose an apparent 1 stop of DOF (approximately). So the 24 f1.4 will look more like 35 f2.

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

GF wrote:

I own A7 M2 and a 24mm f1.4 GM. I found that in some situation, the lens is a bit wide. I am considering to buy a 35mm f1.4. After seeing the APS-C mode, I am thinking of getting a APS-C body instead of the lens. The reasons are as follows:

2. Have a backup camera.

The Sony APS-C cameras are a bit less user friendly than the FF models (fewer wheels and buttons and somewhat limited menu options).

Have the a6300 mostly for the opportunity to go compact and light, but also to add some resolution to my 100-400 + 1.4x TC (resolution increase 1.5x linear, 2.25x by area compared to my A7III). Handy option when wanted or needed.

However, would not replace my A7III with any APS-C camera.

The idea makes sense.

JpGomez Regular Member • Posts: 496

GF wrote:

If price is factor, then get Samyang 35mm f2.8 instead its bargain - PRO

2. Have a backup camera.

No back up camera if you get new lens - CON

Samyang 35/2.8 is ultra light, perfect one lens travel - PRO

No second body to mount with - CON

Keep full A7M2 resolution - maybe a tie here

Sorry looks like a draw.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE
MFiftysomething Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

Sounds like a plan; a lot of people have both (i have) -main drawback is A6000 style bodies are ergonomically compromised.

MFiftysomething's gear list:MFiftysomething's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a9 Fujifilm X-H1 +2 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,187

GF wrote:

2. Have a backup camera.

I prefer the image quality of the A6000 to the A7II. If I had liked using the A6000, I probably wouldn't have considered the A7II. The A6x00 series has very different controls and handling to the A7II. They are another system that happens to use the same lens mount. Don't consider one a backup. Get another A7II or maybe an A7RII for a backup.

For me lighter lenses are nicer than lighter bodies--like the little Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 which is cheaper than a used A6000 body. As already pointed out, cropping the 24/1.4 is not like a 35/1.4. It is more like F(35/24*1.4) => F2.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +121 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,768

MFiftysomething wrote:

Sounds like a plan; a lot of people have both (i have) -main drawback is A6000 style bodies are ergonomically compromised.

I don't find the A6x00 series to be ergonomically compromised at all, but then again, my first 35mm camera in 1968 was an Argus C3. While I found the Argus to be ergonomically challenging I soon learned to use it efficiently.

-- hide signature --

My policy is to not post images to the 'net.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads