XT30 and 16-80

Started Oct 16, 2019 | Questions
tokumeino Veteran Member • Posts: 3,058
XT30 and 16-80

This thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63192741 has permitted to narrow down and solve the softness issue that many XT3 users were experiencing with their 16-80.

The issue raises most in the 1/60s to 1/125s range, and disappears if electronic shutter of electronic first curtains is applied. Full ES comes with flaws, especially indoor (artificial light and flash issues) so EFCS is the way to go at low shutter speeds with the XT3.

Unfortunately, XT30 doens't have this option and without a good solution, it matters to know by how much the 16-80 is affected by shutter shock when used with a XT30. Somebody reported shuttershock with the XT20 but I don't know if the shutter is the same among both cameras, and I cannot meusure the magnitude of the SS.

Could somebody replicate tests such as https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63204082 and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63204800 but with a XT30, at about 1/180s, with mechanical shutter (MS) and electronic shutter (ES) ?

Taken with MS

Taken with ES

ES

MS

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Google Pixel 4 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,465
Re: XT30 and 16-80

A very interesting input which seems to ifdentify  the OIS as the responsible of softness.

Hope Fuji will fix this unexpected phenomenon soon via FW............

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
OP tokumeino Veteran Member • Posts: 3,058

baobob wrote:

A very interesting input which seems to ifdentify the OIS as the responsible of softness.

Hope Fuji will fix this unexpected phenomenon soon via FW............

In all honesty, I don't believe that this kind of issue can be resolved by FW : it's hardware. If affected by SS, the XT30 should be provided with the EFCS option.

Gaze Contributing Member • Posts: 772

Tokumeino - Are there any problems using “M + E” for the shutter type on the XT30?   I’ve also read that the IS Mode (in the Shooting Setting) should be in “Shooting Only” for clear photos. Please comment.

I’ve not ordered the XT30 (or the 16-80 f4 lens) and I’m still waiting on more reviews and a possible FW update from Fuji.

Gaze wrote:

Tokumeino - Are there any problems using “M + E” for the shutter type on the XT30?

M+E on XT30 means "Full M below 1/4000, and full E above". So at 1/180 or less, it would be M, with shutter shock. The XT3 has an auto mode selecting EFC at low speed, M at fast speed, and E at very fast speed. That's the no-brainer mode. But nothing like that for the XT30.

I’ve also read that the IS Mode (in the Shooting Setting) should be in “Shooting Only” for clear photos. Please comment.

I would be surprised if it was correlated. Since my M43, I always disable the always ON stab because I'm afraid that the stab hits a "border" and needs to recenter right at the moment I press the shutter.

I’ve not ordered the XT30 (or the 16-80 f4 lens) and I’m still waiting on more reviews and a possible FW update from Fuji.

I'll probably sell my XT30 to replace it by a XT3. By buying a XT3+1680 in kit, plus the cashback, the upgrade should cost me something like 300 euros, which is OK and reasonable.

vazmuten Forum Member • Posts: 65

Anyone tested this after latest firmware updates?

vazmuten's gear list:vazmuten's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 50-230mm II

vazmuten wrote:

Anyone tested this after latest firmware updates?

Specifically about shutter shock : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63361875 (my own sample, I don't know for others).

The thread also provides many other pics.

JorgeParadiso New Member • Posts: 1

Hi guys!

With the FW update of 1.04 being already out can anyone confirm if this issue was solved or not?

Thanks a lot!

DocetLector Contributing Member • Posts: 723

I bougt the 16-80 last November with firmware 1.02 and could not see shuttershock in MS.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +2 more
foglifter Junior Member • Posts: 41

I did extensive testing with this lens for SS when it originally came out and yes there was bad SS. I use it with a xt-20. I always now use ES
with no problems. You asked the question is there still an issue with 1.04 version - so I went out to just do a quick limited test with the 1.04 version.
I could still see SS at 125 and 180 and a lot less at 500. There may have been "some" improvement with 1.04.
As discussed at length before this seems to be a design flaw to do with the floating OIS lens. I discussed this at length
with Fuji repair at the time - who were great by the way. Great lens which rarely leaves my camera - but I mostly do landscape pics with some of my cat. LOL.
There's been a lot of talk about lack of sharpness at the edges at 16mm. It hasn't been a concern for me. It's a zoom!
A camera model with EFCS or in camera image stabilization is the way to go.

Here's a pic at 16.5mm. I'm happy with the results. Just take a good pic - people are too hung up on sharpness as the only parameter in my mind.

https://500px.com/photo/1015060762/Creek-by-Robert-Marcus?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=17460275

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads