What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Smiles123 Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

Luminar 4 will be cheaper and far better than C1 or LR.

Cheaper, yes, better, no; you must be getting paid to say that.

I am a beta tester and used all 3.

Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Paul Barnard wrote:

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

So you’ve used it then? I assume you must have to speak so authoritatively. Or should we ask who is paying you...

I am a beta tester and used all 3. Just because you wasted a lot of money on other products is no reason to be hostile.

JLGF1 wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

So you’ve used it then? I assume you must have to speak so authoritatively. Or should we ask who is paying you...

So, your prediction is that Luminar-4 will be far better than C1 or LR? Please expound on your definition of far better. I daresay we have all heard that pre-release hype before and it didn't pan out. L-3 DAM really turned out to be a LR killer didn't it?

Better for me means better to edit raw pictures with. Better for me is faster, easier, and with more editing options.

OP SonyOB Contributing Member • Posts: 908

I have seen the haloes on YouTube videos on Luminar3 but the presenter does not seem to be bothered at all. Something to watch for, clearly.

-- hide signature --

"Excuses. That's what you are creative with instead of putting your mind on not needing any".

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +13 more

Summing it up: The initial effort was not too good. The DAM was a failure while the Flex part was OK. People who do not use Luminar seem more hostile towards it than those who do. I use Adobe. Will Luminar be a viable alternative remains to be seen once v.4. is available.

-- hide signature --

"Excuses. That's what you are creative with instead of putting your mind on not needing any".

Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +13 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,269

Smiles123 wrote:I

Paul Barnard wrote:

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

I am a beta tester and used all 3. Just because you wasted a lot of money on other products is no reason to be hostile.

I’m guessing you didn’t mean to reply to me.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,399

SonyOB wrote:

Summing it up: The initial effort was not too good. The DAM was a failure while the Flex part was OK. People who do not use Luminar seem more hostile towards it than those who do. I use Adobe. Will Luminar be a viable alternative remains to be seen once v.4. is available.

As a very long time user of their products (from their first, when they were Macphun) I'd say my biggest reservation about Skylum is Skylum. I used Luminar through the demo on 3 (and Aurora, and Creative Kit, etc) and found that first, they tend to hop to new marketable features before getting fixes on stuff that already exists, and second that it's expensive. Unlike a very mature software product like Lr (where folks are still happily using 6 if they've got an older OS) you need to upgrade Skylum's stuff. And again, the hype and sizzle of new stuff like the DAM seems to always trail the reality.

But hey, if it works for you. My dislike (can't say it rises to hostility, I willing bought it after all) is more from disappointment, and the fact it didn't give me value for money. At say $75US and then $50/yr for the four years it's been out I feel a much better bargain is Lr and Ps.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,399

SonyOB wrote:

As a very long time user of their products (from their first, when they were Macphun) I'd say my biggest reservation about Skylum is Skylum. I used Luminar through the demo on 3 (and Aurora, and Creative Kit, etc) and found that first, they tend to hop to new marketable features before getting fixes on stuff that already exists, and second that it's expensive. Unlike a very mature software product like Lr (where folks are still happily using 6 if they've got an older OS) you need to upgrade Skylum's stuff. And again, the hype and sizzle of new stuff like the DAM seems to always trail the reality.

But hey, if it works for you. My dislike (can't say it rises to hostility, I willing bought it after all) is more from disappointment, and the fact it didn't give me value for money. At say $75US and then $50/yr for the four years it's been out I feel a much better bargain is Lr and Ps.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
lacogada Regular Member • Posts: 491

Luminar 4 will be released  Nov 18th ... Nov 11th if you pre-ordered.

They know marketing.

-- hide signature --

Beachcomber Joe
Beachcomber Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,256
Buggy, buggy, buggy

Smiles123 wrote:

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

I am a beta tester and used all 3.

Everyone who uses Luminar is a beta tester.

Beachcomber Joe's gear list:Beachcomber Joe's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Buggy, buggy, buggy

LOL!!!

(But let's hope that L4 is a new fresh start, for those who want to use it).

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
hifimacianer Regular Member • Posts: 456

I will use Luminar 4 as a plugin only (like Flex).

I also use Apple Photos as my main Photo library, and flex works pretty good as a Photos extension. No crashes, fast, and I like the results.

hifimacianer's gear list:hifimacianer's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads