What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Martin Haas New Member • Posts: 9
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Software for those who don't know better.

I feel sorry for people who use it.

SnapperHed Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

SonyOB wrote:

My sense of humor does not cut it on this forum, not at all.

You were expecting people to have a sense of humor on a photography  forum, now thats funny!

Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,268

SonyOB wrote:

jerrysdean43 wrote:

I think it is software that is more for folks that like to over edit their photos than like to take better photos. I think the company lacks favorable business ethics.

http://jerrysdean43.zenfolio.com/

I cannot see how using a software every now and then would in any way change my identity or my attitude toward photography or life in general.

"Enough of this"

Another example of your earlier observation...  There seem to be more entrenched 'opinions' here than in the Sony forum.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,081

Martin Haas wrote:

Since you clearly must "know better", what software do YOU use?

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 +15 more

plaatje wrote:

Sure, everybody can like something that isn’t good, can we?🤣

We're all supposed to use and like the same thing, according to the opinions of those who know best.

JLGF1
JLGF1 Contributing Member • Posts: 828

plaatje wrote:

Sure, everybody can like something that isn’t good, can we?🤣

Some people like Bose speakers. Some people even think they're the best. (I don't happen to be one of them).  One of their criticisms is they're not considered very accurate (like the halo artifacts in the OP's photo).  But, obviously you can still like them if that is your cup of tea.  There is no standard measure of taste.

JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Smiles123 Regular Member • Posts: 121

Luminar 4 will be cheaper and far better than C1 or LR.

What I like most is the  xrite colorchecker profiles I created in LR can be used in Luminar. C1 can’t use the LR profiles

Also it’s portrait retouching uses AI which saves you a ton of time.  Luminar 3 was slow. Luminar 4 is fast.

Affinity Pro and Luminar 4 are the go to applications that will put new users ahead of the pack.

JLGF1
JLGF1 Contributing Member • Posts: 828

Smiles123 wrote:

Cheaper, yes, better, no; you must be getting paid to say that.

JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,268

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

So you’ve used it then?  I assume you must have to speak so authoritatively.  Or should we ask who is paying you...

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more

CMCM wrote:

Martin Haas wrote:

Capture One.

I have tried all of them. Really.

I print big, the difference shows.

Sorry for my way of talking, I was kinda steaming from some other discussion :/

Smiles123 wrote:

Far better than C1... lol, okay there buddy.

lacogada Regular Member • Posts: 491

Smiles123 wrote:

Luminar 3 was slow. Luminar 4 is fast.

Are you a beta tester ?

Lloyd O'Daniel Regular Member • Posts: 443

Bingo!

lacogada wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

Are you a beta tester ?

Actually, there is no way to know a single thing about L4 as it hasn't been released yet.  I would guess from my own experience with Luminar 3  (I could never get it to work as the DAM would always go directly into a photo collecting loop that never ended, and there was no way to disable the DAM to just use the editing tools) that perhaps L4 addresses the DAM problems with L3 and it supposedly adds a few more editing filters.

Also, I think the L3 DAM did work for some people, just not for me with my 10 year old Mac and less than current OS.

When L3 wouldn't work on my computer, Luminar had just made Flex available, which as I understood it, contained all the new editing tool upgrades of L3 but omitted the troublesome DAM component.  I've used Flex for maybe 5 or 6 months and it works great, and I like it a lot for editing photos.

Luminar offers a lot of "looks" presets, both those created by Skylum as well as 3rd party ones that individuals offer for sale.  For the most part, I've found that the presets are often too overdone, but it's important to know that they initially load at 100% and you pretty much always have to back down that 100% global slider to much less than that to look good.  People who keep them at 100% end up with an overprocessed and unnatural looking image but perhaps not everyone understands they must back off to 90% or 75% etc.  Presets can be great fun to play with, but eventually I mostly stopped using them.   They are mostly useful for people who are less experienced in manipulating photos, so you can choose a particular preset that looks somewhat like an effect you'd like to get, and then you can see what sorts of filters and settings and amounts were used to achieve that look, and use that as a starting point.  As with any post processing in any program, what you do to a photo mostly needs to be very very subtle.  Less is more.

Hopefully L4 will work as intended and be good.  After months of using Flex and getting to understand how it works and how to best use it, I like it a lot, I like the interface, I like the filters and how it all works.  There are some very good instructional videos, although I wish there were a good basic manual.

No reason to bash Skylum because Luminar is an ongoing project and wasn't perfect upon release. In my short experience with the program, it HAS improved.  The price is incredibly reasonable.  I bought Luminar 2018, got a free upgrade to Luminar 3, and also got Flex for free.  If the program were many hundreds of dollars, I'd be unhappy about a paid upgrade to L4 so quickly, but I paid something like $39 for my initial program.  I don't mind paying $59 more as an upgrade at this point.

gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 909
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!! Ahahahahah

JLGF1 wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!! Ahahahahah

CMCM wrote:

lacogada wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

Are you a beta tester ?

Actually, there is no way to know a single thing about L4 as it hasn't been released yet

I do believe beta testers get to try the software before it's released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvE5jAqhWNc&t=434s

Martin Haas wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Martin Haas wrote:

Capture One.

I have tried all of them. Really.

I print big, the difference shows.

Sorry for my way of talking, I was kinda steaming from some other discussion :/

Well, it works for you and that's great.  But it's expensive, and I can't really justify that cost since I don't print anything large,and what I do is purely personal use.  We all have different needs, in the end.  I didn't like a bunch of the free programs out there (too limited), and I've tested out a couple that seemed more complex and involved than I need.  I think I tested Capture One as well.  I noticed they sell a license, but also have a subscription model as well.  So I have to wonder if/when they will be entirely subscription.  At least Skylum was making a very big deal about NOT going the subscription route.  They were attracting people who specifically didn't want to be tied to a subscription photo editor.

In addition to Luminar, I also bought Affinity, which I like because it has a very similar interface to my CS6, it seems pretty good, but I keep coming back to Luminar for much of what I like to do.  Luminar is something I always use in conjunction with Photoshop.  I'm also resistant to Adobe's subscription model (I've spent a fortune buying various Photoshop versions since the first one), but at least I owned them and could use each version for quite a long time. Now I will need to soon buy a newer Mac with a newer OS, which will force me to give up my Photoshop CS6 and cave in to the subscription....unless I find a total substitute for PS (that hasn't happened yet, but I keep looking).  As much as I like Luminar, I still do a lot in Photoshop and want to keep it going.

Luminar has some really neat features and an interface that set it apart, and I think it's a very clever program, mostly very well implemented, and very easy once you've learned how it works and how to best use it.  I used it intensively over several months with lots of trial and error to really understand its capabilities and get to where using it was easy.

lacogada wrote:

CMCM wrote:

lacogada wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

Are you a beta tester ?

Actually, there is no way to know a single thing about L4 as it hasn't been released yet

So are you a beta tester then?

CMCM wrote:

lacogada wrote:

CMCM wrote:

lacogada wrote:

Smiles123 wrote:

Are you a beta tester ?

So are you a beta tester then?

No ... just giving you a link that shows some people do have access to L4.

mangurian Contributing Member • Posts: 626

It is clear that some folks who don't know how to use Luminar properly are very critical.

I have seen some great results online.

I don't own it yet, but will some day and it will sit alongside PS, Exposure, and a dozen other progs on my PC.  The trick is to learn what SW is best for each purpose.

True, there is some Sh*ty SW out there, but I have seen enough Luminar videos (third party) and finished photos to know that it can be a real time saver and produce excellent results when used by skilled hands.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads