What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
SonyOB Contributing Member • Posts: 834
What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

It is so much fun and so easy.
I do understand that for the serious adults this might not be the software of choice.
for people like me trying to keep my distant family amused, this is just what I was looking for!

I have PS and DxO and all kinds of stuff.
But this little software is just so much fun, easy to use and dramatic enough.
I love it, it makes me smile!

Do you see how the Force is surrounding her?
I never saw it before. I did not make it.

-- hide signature --

"You may think that you exist, but you just happen"
(SonyOB)

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +13 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,197
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

SonyOB wrote:

I do understand that for the serious adults this might not be the software of choice.
for people like me trying to keep my distant family amused, this is just what I was looking for!

Like you I have most SW packages out there but increasingly Luminar is the one I open first. It’s so quick to get to an idea of what the image could be. While it can be heavy handed it is flexible enough to do some pretty sympathetic editing.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar?

I think it sucks. Other people may like it. Mine is just my honest and very personal opinion based on comparing it with standard comercial alternatives like Lightroom/PS, Capture One, DOX, etc.

It truly sucks in terms of features and performance. That’s what I think.

Lloyd O'Daniel Regular Member • Posts: 435

irv00 wrote:

I think it sucks. Other people may like it. Mine is just my honest and very personal opinion based on comparing it with standard comercial alternatives like Lightroom/PS, Capture One, DOX, etc.

It truly sucks in terms of features and performance. That’s what I think.

+1

Lloyd

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,887
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

I like it a lot.  It took awhile to learn to use it without overusing it....less is more....but now I'm comfortable with it and pretty much always use it first.  At the end I export to my older Photoshop CS6 to do a couple of things that I prefer to do in PS, but for the most part, the majority of my processing is done in Luminar.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 +14 more
sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,707

SonyOB wrote:

That's called a halo. It's a bug, not a feature.

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 7,340
Re: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
I think that senility is going to be a fairly smooth transition for me.

OP SonyOB Contributing Member • Posts: 834

Oh, I thought it was a Kirlian effect.

(No, I did not really think that. I pretended I did as an attempt to make somebody smile knowingly. My sense of humor does not cut it on this forum, not at all.)

-- hide signature --

(SonyOB)

Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +13 more
plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 648

SonyOB wrote:

You just gave a very good example how bad this software is!

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7 Sony a7R II Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
Paul Barnard

plaatje wrote:

SonyOB wrote:

You just gave a very good example how bad this software is!

alternatively, if the OP likes it, of how good the SW is...

Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more

Sure, everybody can like something that isn’t good, can we?🤣

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7 Sony a7R II Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
Paul Barnard

plaatje wrote:

Sure, everybody can like something that isn’t good, can we?🤣

Not everyone has the same opinion and stating your own opinion as the only right opinion is a little arrogant. 
Personally I find the halos Incongruous but the OP’s reference to them as ‘the force’ clearly indicated it was an effect he enjoyed.

So, maybe I belong to the serious adults as the OP said . . .

Being right is what matters. Especially in matters of taste.

(another joke)

-- hide signature --

(SonyOB)

Paul Barnard

SonyOB wrote:

(another joke)

A statement of fact for many people...

Bunjo Regular Member • Posts: 318

I expect a great deal depends on what you use post processing for. I like to use photography to 'document' what I see and apply a stylistic/fine art treatment to a few of those photographs. So I use DXO as an 'image processor', Affinity as a 'pixel processor', and Topaz Studio as a 'style processor'. They all overlap to some extent.

If I was a professional Wedding Photographer or a professional artist of some kind then I would almost certainly use a LR/PS combination - because that is an industry standard.  I gave up the monthly subscription when I found out that I didn't want to work in the methodology imposed by LR/PS.

I tried Luminar and, even allowing for the learning curve, it didn't cover what I wanted to do very well, and didn't fit into my workflow. But it may well suit other people with different needs and expectations.

Paul Barnard wrote:

SonyOB wrote:

(another joke)

A statement of fact for many people...

Sort of funny, sort of sad. Human.

-- hide signature --

(SonyOB)

jerrysdean43 Contributing Member • Posts: 900

I think it is software that is more for folks that like to over edit their photos than like to take better photos.  I think the company lacks favorable business ethics.

http://jerrysdean43.zenfolio.com/

jerrysdean43 wrote:

I think it is software that is more for folks that like to over edit their photos than like to take better photos. I think the company lacks favorable business ethics.

http://jerrysdean43.zenfolio.com/

I cannot see how using a software every now and then would in any way change my identity or my attitude toward photography or life in general.

"Enough of this"

lacogada Regular Member • Posts: 477

sabrina81 wrote:

That's called a halo. It's a bug, not a feature.

Had me rolling on the floor with that one

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads