M50 diopter will not adjust enought to correct my vision

Started 3 months ago | Questions
digital fun Forum Member • Posts: 89
M50 diopter will not adjust enought to correct my vision

I have my diopter on my M50 adjusted all the way to the right and the image is still not clear in the EVF .  I have tried searching for ideas to get more magnification as I don't believe canon has any different magnifications lens.

So just experimenting with taking some cheap reading glasses and grinding down the lens to fit just in the eye piece.  Doing this I can get perfect adjustment for my eye.  The biggest problem with this is trying to grind down the lens to fit well and how to make it stay in the eye piece.

I find it hard to believe other people have not had the same issue.

Thanks

Jeff

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,162
Re: M50 diopter will not adjust enought to correct my vision

I don't think there is anything as the viewfinder is fixed so unless you can find a successful DIY solution you might have to use your reading glasses or maybe consider using varifocal glasses.( AKA progressives in the USA  I believe ). Sorry I couldn't provide any other solution but maybe some other kind soul could chip in.

Alexis
Alexis Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

I am in a similar boat to you and for that reason I wear my variofocals when using all my cameras (M50, 5D3, 50D) which are a mixture of optiocal viewfinders and EVF.

Alexis's gear list:Alexis's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +13 more

I'm ok with the EVF without glasses thankfully,can't use the rear screen without though. I have noticed that I can't adjust the diopter on the EVF as easily as I did with an OVF. The EVF  info read outs are sharp enough but the actual image is just a little off so I'm assuming that's down to the EVF's  resolution.

OP digital fun Forum Member • Posts: 89

Thanks for the responce.

Thanks for your response.

You're welcome. Have you found a solution ?

73Instamatic
73Instamatic Regular Member • Posts: 405

Fortunately, I'm only +1.75, so still within the range of what the M50 offers.

However, the old system they used to have, where you bought a supplemental diopter lens and slid it onto the eyepiece was more versatile, IMO, because you could pick a very wide range of magnifications. I know they went up to at least +/- 5.

So my first though in reading the OP's post was that I'd probably start with one of these before "grinding down a pair or reading glasses". Then you'd just have to figure out how to get it to stay put:

Rotary588 New Member • Posts: 1

digital fun wrote:

I have my diopter on my M50 adjusted all the way to the right and the image is still not clear in the EVF . I have tried searching for ideas to get more magnification as I don't believe canon has any different magnifications lens.

So just experimenting with taking some cheap reading glasses and grinding down the lens to fit just in the eye piece. Doing this I can get perfect adjustment for my eye. The biggest problem with this is trying to grind down the lens to fit well and how to make it stay in the eye piece.

I find it hard to believe other people have not had the same issue.

Thanks

Jeff

I have started using Multifocal contact lenses, this has completely regenerated my interest in photography as my site is now as good as it was when I was in my 20s.
If you do a lot of photography I would give them a try.

Well I did discover that if I don't move the dioptic slider all the way to the right things are in focus. So until my vision changes I will be ok, just not enough wiggle room for my liking.

I did get my dremel out and tried to cut the shape of my view finder form my old cheater glasses. One problem with this is even though the lens is clear it covers the sensor on the right that detects the eye is at the view finder and switches off the rear display. So Now I think I will just make lens just slightly bigger than the camera diopter.

I do believe if I really wanted I could take the lens to a lab where they make lens for glasses and they could cut for me. Now I am going to get some sandpaper and make the lens just big enough to cover the built in diaopter. Then I would just have to find some adhesive to make the lens stay in place.

Here is a link to show the first lens I tried making to fit. So for some one that really needs some + magnification to get the EVF in focus i thing this would be a good solution.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15KBhXMwjz4z2mrk-NJ4C_-CoN73edMlB/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps some people out.

Jeff

I may try those in the future, right now just looking for a cheap solution.

Thanks

Jeff

So could not find sand paper so just used deremel again. All I would need to do is get some kind of adhesive and I could put some on the left side and bottom of lens and I think that would keep lens in place.

So if some had a belt grinder or took the time to sand down on a flat surface it would look better.

Not tje sensor works as it should with the lens not covering it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15X7429wz_kEYVS9_02_F38NEcWzPBMCj/view?usp=drivesdk

Jeff

Great idea thanks.  Probably made of glass also and thinner.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads