Lens Adapter Stopped working - what to get?

Started Oct 13, 2019 | Discussions
Baron_Karza
Baron_Karza New Member • Posts: 18
Lens Adapter Stopped working - what to get?

Hi, I have an M50 and never had an issue with the native lenses.  I have the VELLO LAE-CM-CEF lens adapter so I can use Canon DSLR mount lenses.  I started having issues when using the adapter.

The Canon 50 1.4 worked w/the M50+Vello but then one day it wouldn't want to focus.  Kept getting the red focus box.  I removed the lens and then place it back on and it worked fine again for a few shots.  I had to remove it again, then it worked, and then again it worked and didn't,  but finally it stopped giving me issues after about 20 minutes of this.

I have a Sigma Art 18-35F1.8.  After having the issue with the 50m, a week later I was using my Sigma with no issues.  Then the next day I swapped to my kit and then back to the Sigma and then the M50 behaved as if no lens was even attached!  No matter how many times I removed and reattached the lens (from the M50 to adapter or adapter to lens) I could not get it to work.  When I got home, I tried my Canon 70-200F2.8 and no issues.  Then I swapped back the Sigma and it worked again!

I've only had this adapter just over a year so it's out of warranty.

Anyone else have this issue? It's about $50 and the Canon model is $200.  I originally purchased both at the same time and didn't notice a difference so returned the way more expensive one.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yehudakgtbnet Senior Member • Posts: 2,085
I believe that the adapter is not attached properly,

or the lens didn't sit in the adapter all the way.

yehudakgtbnet's gear list:yehudakgtbnet's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,383
Re: Lens Adapter Stopped working - what to get?

Try cleaning all of the electrical contacts on your camera, the adapter, and your lenses with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).  Intermittent issues like you describe can often be due to something as simple as accumulated skin oils.  While you don't want to overdo the alcohol on your camera or lenses, you could literally submerge the adapter in alcohol and not cause any damage.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

nnowak wrote:

Try cleaning all of the electrical contacts on your camera, the adapter, and your lenses with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Intermittent issues like you describe can often be due to something as simple as accumulated skin oils. While you don't want to overdo the alcohol on your camera or lenses, you could literally submerge the adapter in alcohol and not cause any damage.

I'd skip the alcohol.  The classic way to deal with contact problems is a pencil eraser.  Just gently rub each contact on the lens and the adapter (both ends) and blow any dust/crumbs off.

The adapters are ridiculously simple, so if contact cleaning doesn't fix the problem, think about a lens problem.

Albert_L Forum Member • Posts: 84

Just checking if the Canon 50mm and Sigma lenses are not the problem ?

Albert_L's gear list:Albert_L's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM 7artisans 12mm F2.8 +2 more
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,383

ken_in_nh wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Try cleaning all of the electrical contacts on your camera, the adapter, and your lenses with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Intermittent issues like you describe can often be due to something as simple as accumulated skin oils. While you don't want to overdo the alcohol on your camera or lenses, you could literally submerge the adapter in alcohol and not cause any damage.

I'd skip the alcohol. The classic way to deal with contact problems is a pencil eraser. Just gently rub each contact on the lens and the adapter (both ends) and blow any dust/crumbs off.

Pencil erasers will clean off oxidation. Alcohol will clean off oils. Gold plating mostly eliminates the oxidation issues.  Excessive use of pencil erasers can actually wear through the thin gold plating

The pogo pins on the female side of the adapter are especially susceptible to oil contamination. The pins are not soldered directly to a wire, but instead sit on a spring which in turn sits on a gold pad on a circuit board inside the adapter.

The adapters are ridiculously simple, so if contact cleaning doesn't fix the problem, think about a lens problem.

It is unlikely that all lenses would develop a similar problem simultaneously.

Baron_Karza
OP Baron_Karza New Member • Posts: 18

Albert_L wrote:

The lenses have no issues with my T3i.

Baron_Karza
Re: I believe that the adapter is not attached properly,

yehudakgtbnet wrote:

or the lens didn't sit in the adapter all the way.

It sit in all the way and then I'm able to twist it and hear it click into full twist position.

Baron_Karza

nnowak wrote:

I did use a microfiber cloth to clean it but that did not help. I'll have to wait for it to have issues again before trying to use these other methods of cleaning.  thanks.

zonoskar Contributing Member • Posts: 529

Baron_Karza wrote:

Albert_L wrote:

The lenses have no issues with my T3i.

If it really is the adapter, maybe it's a good time to switch to a speedbooster adapter like the Viltrox one.

zonoskar's gear list:zonoskar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads