Some nice info on prepping for Catalina and new "volume groups"

Started Oct 13, 2019 | Discussions
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,184
Some nice info on prepping for Catalina and new "volume groups"

https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/TN-CS-Catalina-Update.html

The big surprise for me was volume groups, and how Catalina now splits your boot drive into different volumes, one with system files that is read-only. As they note this has implications for cloned boot drives (TL;DR they suggest making a new one).

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

johnbandry Senior Member • Posts: 2,938
Re: Some nice info on prepping for Catalina and new "volume groups"

Do you use/recommend chronosync?

-- hide signature --

John Bandry
“Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of ... self-serving men” - Robert A. Heinlein

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,513

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner for many years without issue.  The latest version works fine with the new Catalina file features.  CCC also provides capabilities to manage snapshots and such things.  I have no experience with Chronosynch.

-- hide signature --
OP robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,184

Leon Wittwer wrote:

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner for many years without issue. The latest version works fine with the new Catalina file features. CCC also provides capabilities to manage snapshots and such things. I have no experience with Chronosynch.

I've used both CCC and ChronoSynch and prefer the latter, but it's perhaps not a fair comparison since CS is designed to do more.

CCC has a good explanation of volume groups on their website too.

Using either (I don't think Super Duper has come out with a Catalina version yet) I'd make a completely new clone with the new volume structure, but I imagine most do that anyway in terms of general housekeeping.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

johnbandry Senior Member • Posts: 2,938

Thanks. My setup has become a little complicated for just TimeMachine and I can't be bothered to write the rsync scripts, so I'll give Chronosync a whirl.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry
“Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of ... self-serving men” - Robert A. Heinlein

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads