about RAM memory

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,408
about RAM memory

I have rather good PC with i7 processor 2.8Mhz and 16 MB RAM memory 1600Mhz. How much scan I wait my computers speed increase if I change memory to 32GB with 3000 Mhz. Must I check if my computer can take faster RAM, I guess it takes 32 or 64 GB Ram. Graphic card is Geforce 440 class. Computer is about 4 years old, jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,691
Re: about RAM memory

jouni123 wrote:

I have rather good PC with i7 processor 2.8Mhz and 16 MB RAM memory 1600Mhz. How much scan I wait my computers speed increase if I change memory to 32GB with 3000 Mhz. Must I check if my computer can take faster RAM, I guess it takes 32 or 64 GB Ram. Graphic card is Geforce 440 class. Computer is about 4 years old, jouni

Is there a specific reason you need more/faster RAM?

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
sygnus21
sygnus21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,776

jouni123 wrote:

I have rather good PC with i7 processor 2.8Mhz and 16 MB RAM memory 1600Mhz.

I'm assuming you mean 16gig of RAM being you have an i7 processor.

How much scan I wait my computers speed increase if I change memory to 32GB with 3000 Mhz. Must I check if my computer can take faster RAM, I guess it takes 32 or 64 GB Ram. Graphic card is Geforce 440 class. Computer is about 4 years old, jouni

Anyway your question is near impossible to answer as the "speed" difference would be hard to quantify without doing benchmarks specifically measuring RAM performance.

And though you may see a difference numbers wise, in real world you may not even notice that difference. However, seeing you're wishing to go from 16gig @1600MHz to 32gig @3000MHz, you might notice a performance increase, but it may not be the blow your socks away difference.

That said, I do run 32gig of RAM @3333Mhz, but I'm running a high performance i9 system that I occasionally bench with. I'm also a gamer as well as a photographer.

Bottom line you might notice a slight performance increase, but nothing that'll say WOW!

-- hide signature --

I was once asked if I were embarrassed for asking so many questions. Well, I replied, only a man who has nothing to learn should be embarrassed.

OP jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,408

I am thinking to buy or uppdate my PC and wonder which way to go,, jouni

Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
OP jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,408

Yes, I ment 16 GB, I guess I got an answer I asked. I don't play any PC games, mostly process my pics. Thank you very much sygnus21. jouni

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,239

jouni123 wrote:

You'll find very little noticeable improvement with most workloads.  The vast majority of memory accesses come from the CPU's onboard cache, so even doubling the memory speed probably won't net you more than a few to several percentage points of overall performance improvement.  And that's only if memory accesses are actually the bottleneck, which is often not the case.

My rule of thumb is that a 10% performance increase is measurable, but not noticeable.

Austinian

jouni123 wrote:

One way to help decide is to run Task Manager while you are processing your photos and see what resources (CPU, GPU, Memory,  and possibly Disk) are being most heavily used. That's where I'd start when considering upgrades or a new PC.

Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
texasfz8
texasfz8 Regular Member • Posts: 144
What type of RAM memory?

Not sure, but what type of memory does the OP have.  Based on 1600MHz may be DDR3.  To get to 3333 may have to go to newer motherboard with DDR4.  Even then, I doubt you would notice the change except in benchmarks.  Better to upgrade to better processor or SSD for noticeable speed changes.

texasfz8's gear list:texasfz8's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X30
sygnus21

jouni123 wrote:

Yes, I ment 16 GB, I guess I got an answer I asked. I don't play any PC games, mostly process my pics. Thank you very much sygnus21. jouni

Just to be clear, more RAM isn't about gaming only. I can definitely help with programs like Photoshop or Lightroom, hence why I also have 32gig.  My point is you asking by how much. That's a question not easily answerable.

Peace:)

-- hide signature --

I was once asked if I were embarrassed for asking so many questions. Well, I replied, only a man who has nothing to learn should be embarrassed.

sygnus21

Austinian wrote:

jouni123 wrote:

One way to help decide is to run Task Manager while you are processing your photos and see what resources (CPU, GPU, Memory, and possibly Disk) are being most heavily used. That's where I'd start when considering upgrades or a new PC.

I kind of disagree with task manager being the answer. And really, most users won't understand what Task Manager is telling them. To be honest, I get confused at times, and I've been at this quite some time.  Anyway I mainly use it to tell me what programs are hogging resources as opposed to using it to tell me where my RAM deficiency is.

Good idea, but to most users, especially novices, Task Manager is like Chinese math when you've no idea of the languageĀ 

-- hide signature --

darg Regular Member • Posts: 486

You might wanna look into the system resources button that is in task manager. There you can see how the ram is being utilized by application. Additionally to the ram part you can see what your page file is doing and what the traffic to that is.

To get the biggest bang for the buck is going to ssd, not only ssd for your OS but using an extra ssd for the page file and also you can put temp folders not only for Windows but also for your other applications there. I did this with a 2009 quad machine and it's like having a new system. Once you decide to go that route put the page file there and link all temp folders under Windows to that ssd. In most applications there is also a way to reroute their temp and render folders. I'm using some cheap 60gb ssd for less than $30 for that on all my computers

-- hide signature --

When in doubt, C4
KJ6EPH

darg's gear list:darg's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II +12 more
sygnus21

darg wrote:

You might wanna look into the system resources button that is in task manager. There you can see how the ram is being utilized by application. Additionally to the ram part you can see what your page file is doing and what the traffic to that is.

Keenly familiar with the Performance tab as well as Resource Monitor, Memory tab, which I much prefer

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Austinian

sygnus21 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

jouni123 wrote:

One way to help decide is to run Task Manager while you are processing your photos and see what resources (CPU, GPU, Memory, and possibly Disk) are being most heavily used. That's where I'd start when considering upgrades or a new PC.

I kind of disagree with task manager being the answer. And really, most users won't understand what Task Manager is telling them. To be honest, I get confused at times, and I've been at this quite some time. Anyway I mainly use it to tell me what programs are hogging resources as opposed to using it to tell me where my RAM deficiency is.

I'm not yet certain there is a RAM deficiency here; so, Task Manager.

Good idea, but to most users, especially novices, Task Manager is like Chinese math when you've no idea of the language

If someone wants to understand what's happening in their PC and improve it, some learning may be necessary.

Plenty of resources online; no need for me to repeat here what's explained in detail elsewhere by others who are probably better teachers than I am.

sygnus21

Austinian wrote:

If someone wants to understand what's happening in their PC and improve it, some learning may be necessary.

When I've made that argument in this very forum, I was scolded (not by you) for having the audacity to suggest people to learn their PC's. Remember my mantra - owning a PC is an active endeavor not a passive one

That said, I still don't see the need to use Task Manager to determine RAM needs. In all my 20+ years building PC's I've never ever once used Task Manager to determine mine. And I don't know any else who did so either.

My attitude, get the 32gig, keep it moving. No need to science it out. It's not like 32gig is expensive these days.

-- hide signature --

Austinian

sygnus21 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

When I've made that argument in this very forum, I was scolded (not by you) for having the audacity to suggest people to learn their PC's. Remember my mantra - owning a PC is an active endeavor not a passive one

Learning is a troublesome and annoying activity for some. Too bad for them when problems arise.

A phrase I heard years ago and liked, though there are exceptions:

"If you can control a device you need, you are its master. If you can't, you are its slave."

That said, I still don't see the need to use Task Manager to determine RAM needs. In all my 20+ years building PC's I've never ever once used Task Manager to determine mine. And I don't know any else who did so either.

Me, if you substitute Process Explorer for Task Manager. A couple of years ago, stitching panoramas with multiple other editing programs open, I noticed a slowdown, saw that I'd exhausted my 16GB. Upgraded to 32GB, then built a new PC soon after.

My attitude, get the 32gig, keep it moving. No need to science it out. It's not like 32gig is expensive these days.

That works. Till someday you need 64GB.

sygnus21

Austinian wrote:

sygnus21 wrote:

Learning is a troublesome and annoying activity for some. Too bad for them when problems arise.

Nah, it'll be "Microsoft's fault" for putting out a new OS even though we really didn't understand the old one, but thought we did

Then we'll be having this same conversation from the 64GB side of things.

-- hide signature --

Austinian

sygnus21 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

sygnus21 wrote:

Nah, it'll be "Microsoft's fault" for putting out a new OS even though we really didn't understand the old one, but thought we did

Then we'll be having this same conversation from the 64GB side of things.

I'm an optimist--bring on the tasty software than needs it! I still have four memory slots to fill.

sygnus21

Austinian wrote:

I'm an optimist--bring on the tasty software than needs it! I still have four memory slots to fill.

Just a did you know comment...

but some boards (Z390) with 4-dimm slots perform best when all are filled. It appears Gigabyte's Z390 board use a "T-Topology" (whatever that means) where they perform best with all DIMM slots filled as discussed here and here. Personally I think all modern day boards are this way now, but...

I remember at the Corsair forums where we'd advise "downclocking" your RAM when all 4 slots were used because of bandwidth saturation concerns. Today's boards don't seem to have that issue anymore

Anyway I'm not saying this applies to you, just FYI.

-- hide signature --

Austinian

sygnus21 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Just a did you know comment...

but some boards (Z390) with 4-dimm slots perform best when all are filled. It appears Gigabyte's Z390 board use a "T-Topology" (whatever that means) where they perform best with all DIMM slots filled as discussed here and here. Personally I think all modern day boards are this way now, but...

Interesting, I didn't know that. I haven't built a new PC in a couple of years, so wasn't paying close attention to newer mobos.

I remember at the Corsair forums where we'd advise "downclocking" your RAM when all 4 slots were used because of bandwidth saturation concerns. Today's boards don't seem to have that issue anymore

The last 4-slot board I had didn't require downclocking when I went from 16GB to 32GB, but I wasn't OC'ing the memory anyway.

Anyway I'm not saying this applies to you, just FYI.

Right, I've got an 8-slot X299 board.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads