Which 100-400 for outdoor sports?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,040
Re: Which 100-400 for outdoor sports?

The 70-300L is enticing, especially for some of the prices I've seen.  I don't think I could go wrong with either one.  Size and weight is somewhat of a concern.  A 100-400 would be nice, but it probably wouldn't make many trips beyond a sporting event.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +11 more
OP gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,040

Dave wrote:

I shoot tennis with my 80D and 70-300L and am quite happy with the results. If budget is a concern, how about the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM? It's lightweight and fast-focusing.

Yeah the new version II is another one I've considered.  Gets great reviews and the price is an absolute bargain  A lighter weight telephoto has a lot of appeal.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +11 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,837

pcrc11 wrote:

The 100-400 II was out of my price range as well so I bought the Sigma 100-400 and was not happy. The 100-400 II was still out of my price range so I bought the Tamron 150-600 G2 and still am not getting the quality I want. So all in I have 2 lenses that I could afford and am not happy with but have the same amount that I could have bought Canon for. Moral of the story is always the same.

i always say that "cheap" costs you 2x, 3x times more at the end, this is all from experience!

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,170

Yes that certainly can be true, the saddest part is that training is usually the place where people cheap out the most and waste tons of money buying more and more expensive gear unnecessarily.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 464

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yes that certainly can be true, the saddest part is that training is usually the place where people cheap out the most and waste tons of money buying more and more expensive gear unnecessarily.

In case you miss the point he is trying to make, my obvious displeasure with my sigma is due to my inexperience.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more

If the shoe fits I guess.  I wasn’t talking about you specifically as I don’t know you at all.

I know I tried to buy my way to better results so I learned the hard way and know tons of people who have done the same.

Any of the current lenses can produce great results.  Back in the film days it was different but now 99+% of the time the photographer is the weak link.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 wrote:

If the shoe fits I guess. I wasn’t talking about you specifically as I don’t know you at all.

I know I tried to buy my way to better results so I learned the hard way and know tons of people who have done the same.

Any of the current lenses can produce great results. Back in the film days it was different but now 99+% of the time the photographer is the weak link.

if i can understand you correctly, you are saying: why buy a canon 600mm f4.0 II (even if you can afford it) while you can get the same result with a sigma 140-600 (or something like that), they are all the same after all, right?

-- hide signature --

BirdShooter7 wrote:

i think you misunderstood my comment in my post in the context of what the poster was saying! for example: poster suggests that he ended up with 2 lenses that he doesn't like that he could have bought a better lens ( i suppose he means Canon's in this case).

-- hide signature --

Keep trying

-- hide signature --

No I understood perfectly, it’s the same thing you say all the time, Sigma and Tamron are junk and Canon rules.  It’s a nice fantasy but that’s about it.

-- hide signature --

BirdShooter7 wrote:

No I understood perfectly, it’s the same thing you say all the time, Sigma and Tamron are junk and Canon rules. It’s a nice fantasy but that’s about it.

Even though this reply was not directed at me, I never even came close to referring to Sigma and Tamron as "junk". I think they are very good lenses for what you pay for them.

Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more

BirdShooter7 wrote:

If the shoe fits I guess. I wasn’t talking about you specifically as I don’t know you at all.

Yes you were

I agree with you, the current models are quite good, especially in terms of sharpness.  The places where I typically find Canon doing better in competing models is things like IS and AF performance but even those gaps are getting narrower.

-- hide signature --

Glad to hear that you know my mind better than I do

Seriously, no need to be so defensive.

-- hide signature --

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Glad to hear that you know my mind better than I do

Seriously, no need to be so defensive.

Your mind isnt all that hard to figure out. Just read between the lines...........

"If you aren’t able to get sharp shots with yours maybe it’s something other than the lens that’s the issue."

"the saddest part is that training is usually the place where people cheap out"

"If the shoe fits I guess."

if it applies to you like you obviously think it does then it is very good advice, invest in some training.  You’ll get a lot more out of your gear instead of constantly chasing that perfect gear that you will never find.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,954

gipper51 wrote:

Dave wrote:

I shoot tennis with my 80D and 70-300L and am quite happy with the results. If budget is a concern, how about the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM? It's lightweight and fast-focusing.

Yeah the new version II is another one I've considered. Gets great reviews and the price is an absolute bargain A lighter weight telephoto has a lot of appeal.

I debated between the II and the L that I eventually got.  A street price deal helped me make up my mind, along with the knowledge that the lens was likely to take some punishment over the years (I also use it to shoot wildlife).

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
1cb
1cb Regular Member • Posts: 336

I am poor... LOL true story.

I was in the market to upgrade my 55-250 STM.  After reading reviews, looking at samples I went all in and bought the 100-400 MK2. Yup, it was pricey, but I am very happy I bought it. I use a T6i, I don't make money with my work, but the satisfaction I get with tack sharp pictures was worth the price.  The big pay off for me was going to an airshow and getting into the photo pit.

lots of great people there with every type of lens and camera you can think of.  I was not the only one with a 100-400 MK2, I saw at least 4 others in use.

these examples were the pay off for me,  Canon T6i and the 100-400 MK2

-- hide signature --
 1cb's gear list:1cb's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads