Item from USA via USPS - delay in UK – any advice please?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Item from USA via USPS - delay in UK – any advice please?

I recently ordered a classic film camera from a reliable firm in the USA but it seems to be stuck in transit in the UK.

According to the USPS tracking it was collected from the dealer on Oct 7 and departed a ‘Transit Airport’ in London Heathrow and was “in transit to the destination” at 6.12am on 9 Oct.

So far so good – indeed quite impressive!

However, since then, 3 days ago, the USPS tracker still shows the same message i.e.

“Your item departed a transfer airport in HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM on October 9, 2019 at 6:12 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.”

So, it’s now 3 days later & nothing has changed and I’m beginning to be concerned as normally in the UK items are delivered overnight. Could it be that it's held up in customs or is it something more sinister?

Dose anyone have any experience of shipping from the USA via USPS and is this sort of delay once it has landed in the UK common?

Many thanks

Phil

TripleCoatedBokeh Regular Member • Posts: 161
Re: Item from USA via USPS - delay in UK – any advice please?

Customs?

Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,404

Two things

firstly customs clearance and secondly there is an economy service which is based on 5 working days which often used with international parcels to save money .

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7200 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 883

More than likely Customs. When they get round to it they may send you a letter asking you to pay customs duty and maybe even VAT. If you use a courier like FedEx or UPS they are usually quicker at contacting you for the duty, they may factor it into the courier charges or they may ask you to pay it on delivery.

Since it is a classic film camera Customs may simply have it in their queue for processing and may not bother charging once they clear it - there is no rhyme or reason to it.

OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Thank you all re: Item from USA via USPS - delay in UK

Many thanks everyone for sparing the time to explain the likely situation which is very reassuring. I'll just have to chill out until it comes, whenever that may be!

Thanks again

Phil

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,380

USPS probably transferred the shipment to a local UK carrier and may not receive transit status updates from them.

Cheers,
Doug

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,859
My experience .....

.... in having items shipped to the USA from China via similar methods is that they hit the airport in the USA, nothing changes in the tracking for a bit over a week while they sit in customs, and then another tracking entry is made.

Personally, I think you're probably good.

OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
USA via USPS - delay in UK - Thanks Everyone!

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement to be patient. I've just received the following message confirming what many of you suggested:

"Your item is being held in Customs at 6:14 pm on October 15, 2019 in COVENTRY PARCELFORCE, UNITED KINGDOM".

Many thanks again!

Phil

rich_cx139
rich_cx139 Regular Member • Posts: 186

yep - hmrc - can take ages especially now...

susan2012 Regular Member • Posts: 288

We in the EU are charged 21% tariffs on anything that comes from the US.  So literally every package and envelope is inspected to get taxes from us.  It’s sad but true and very annoying.  In my country I additionally have to take off work to go wait in lines to go pick up the items.  I’d say you should certainly expect the process to add a few days to your item.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads