What do you intend to use the Z50 for?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
indra Regular Member • Posts: 232
What do you intend to use the Z50 for?

Me I will use it mainly to replace my m43 for short trips traveling by plane when carrying only one cabin luggage.

I already stop using my m43 since I have the Z6, but lately they're really strict on the 10kg limit on the one piece of luggage so every gram (ounce) counts.

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 Nikon D300S +58 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,195
Re: What do you intend to use the Z50 for?

While I have quite many cameras, there is a clear place for a Z50 in my use cases. I had enjoyed using the D5300 then upgraded myself to the D5500. I did not see the D5600 being different enough for me to upgrade to that model.

To me, the Z50 is positioned by Nikon as a D7x00 class of camera but it is really more like a bit above the D5x00 series. Features that are better compared to the D5x00 are dual command (which I like to have), better weather sealings (something I appreciate very much having used Pentax and Fuji having that), and probably more responsive AF (something we dont know yet but I would assume we would see compared to the D5x00 AF system). I see the Z50 as the most convenient camera for me to take on family trips where photography is just to capture impromptu events and moments, almost like in the street photography style. I like the smallness and light weight while having enough speed in this class of cameras.

I am not running out to buy the Z50 so quickly yet, as I tend to let the buzz and hype cool down and the price drops or when Nikon has one of those sales promotions. Nonetheless, I do have this Z50 in mind to replace my D5500. The critical aspect about the Z50 is related to the lenses.  Who knows? May be the non S 28mm is a stellar pancake that the Z50 can benefit from as well. In the meantime, I am curious also to see how the Sigma and the Tamron are doing about releasing lenses for Nikon DX Z because Nikon support for the DX format has been and continues to be weak.

-- hide signature --

Esc (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
Z6 / Df / D810 / D750 / D500 / D7500 / D5500 / K-5 / X-T2 / X-E3 / GX85 / V1-V2-V3 / LX100 / X30 / Coolpix A / ZS100 / HX80

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 +81 more
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 1,893

I am interested in one to replace my D3300 as a family and travel camera - after the Z mount 18-140 is available, though.  And I’d like to see a small, fastish prime available first, too - maybe the compact 28 shown on the new roadmap.

So, for me - it’s too soon to commit to a Z50, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +73 more
OP indra Regular Member • Posts: 232

Escaping wrote:

I am not running out to buy the Z50 so quickly yet, as I tend to let the buzz and hype cool down and the price drops or when Nikon has one of those sales promotions. Nonetheless, I do have this Z50 in mind to replace my D5500. The critical aspect about the Z50 is related to the lenses. Who knows? May be the non S 28mm is a stellar pancake that the Z50 can benefit from as well. In the meantime, I am curious also to see how the Sigma and the Tamron are doing about releasing lenses for Nikon DX Z because Nikon support for the DX format has been and continues to be weak.

Definitely curious about third party makers what they're bringing out for the Z DX. I'm more of wide end guy for traveling so a zoom starting from 10mm would be great. That and coupled with 23/1.8 or even 23/2 prime then my traveling kit is perfect. That S 28mm is too long for me for DX

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 Nikon D300S +58 more
Verkku Regular Member • Posts: 156

indra wrote:

Me I will use it mainly to replace my m43 for short trips traveling by plane when carrying only one cabin luggage.

I already stop using my m43 since I have the Z6, but lately they're really strict on the 10kg limit on the one piece of luggage so every gram (ounce) counts.

I will do the very same. I’ve used my 3/4 as a travel camera but now i can once again use just one system, my z-system

Verkku's gear list:Verkku's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads