*** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.10.12 ***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 18,622
Re: *** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.10.12 ***

I prefer the first of these two beautiful images.

Although please put two images in one post or the thread fills up too quickly

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Staying Close to Home

Backlit plants are indeed beautiful but rather difficult to capture in a photograph. And I want a pic of that same leaf next year!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Fairlane Forum Member • Posts: 95
Autumn in the backyard

Some shots from yesterday.

Fairlane's gear list:Fairlane's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
DrHook59
DrHook59 Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: The Mantis that came to lunch

Found this lady on a window-sill on the first floor above our wisteria. Obviously a good place to be   She found a snack wandering past mid photo-session which made for something a little different! I used both the little Panasonic 30mm macro and the Sigma 60mm with the Olympus MCON P02 close-up lens attached. I was surprised that I prefer the photos out of the Sigma combination for this little shoot.

-- hide signature --

Some of the coolest things in life are really, really small.

DrHook59's gear list:DrHook59's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +3 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Autumn in the backyard
Wormsmeat

Good shots but not a good way to go for that bug.

yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 12,425
Re: *** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.10.12 ***

Cyucus wrote:

yyr wrote:

Cyucus wrote:

Barn in cornfield, Northern Illinois

Shot with high resolution mode on EM5 MII.

Would appreciate any thoughts on processing.

Thanks

I'm not sure from the B&W what you have available to play with but I'd look for some separation between the corn and the barn . I don't know what you use for PP but in LR I'd look at the B&W panel where you can change the mix of the underlying colours. Hope that makes sense - just try it to see what I mean.

FYI: I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CC for photo editing.

I definitely know what you mean! Went back and forth on the BW toning for the corn. My wife ( a pro photo editor and artist) thought the corn should have more shadows (than a previous version). So I went with the above.

Here's the previous version: (I think the corn is probably too light and the barn is too dark here. Probably need a Goldilocks version between the two.)

Previous version: Lighter corn, darker barn.

Yep, I prefer this version!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 7,378
Re: Yellowstone

Nice set. Somehow, of all those beautiful colorful scenes, the one I like the most is B&W.

And also, all those steaming landscapes reminded me of my visits to Iceland

Great job.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 7,378
Re: Strange sight

Strange indeed. What really got me was those three shots presented here in sequence. Maybe it would have an even a bigger impact if the first one was a close up of just one or two of the bras. Watching those would be like unwrapping a mystery candy

Either way, interesting.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Jim Vincent Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Silver Feather Miscanthus in the Sun

My wife loves this grass and has several clumps of it growing in our gardens. I thought this shot of it with our house in the background would be nice, and, this morning seemed like the right time for it (clear skies, low winds).

This is a straight OOC JPG. Any suggestions on post-processing to improve it are welcome. As are suggestions on how to take a better shot of it.

This one was shot a little lower and run through LR to correct parallax, highlight/shadow and cropped.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Silver Feather Miscanthus in the Sun

Jim, I think the two subjects clash, are we looking at the house? If so, the grass is in the way. But if we're looking at the grass, a wide aperture to give just a sense of the background might be better. And if you could wait until the grass is backlit, so much the better. Really difficult to capture light on plants and reproduce it as a photo. But a lovely house for sure.

Jim Vincent Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Silver Feather Miscanthus in the Sun - #3

Thanks for the comments W. Here's another shot - shows the grass better, still have the neighbor's playset in the background, but, it's not as obtrusive.

Perhaps I should have used the 60 macro or my 12-40 at f/2.8, for shallower DOF?

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Kae1 New Member • Posts: 13
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway - Oakworth Station

A couple from this morning.

Haven't I seen you before somewhere?

Kae1's gear list:Kae1's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +6 more
stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

Wish I had those in our wisteria...

It would mean I live somewhere with a warm climate!

-- hide signature --
 stateit's gear list:stateit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Keighley and Worth Valley Railway - Oakworth Station

I like that you can see the reflections of the subjects faces in the train windows. Both good shots.

Wormsmeat
***POST NO NEW PICS***

Next week's thread starting.

Cyucus
Cyucus New Member • Posts: 14

Jim Vincent wrote:

Thanks for the comments W. Here's another shot - shows the grass better, still have the neighbor's playset in the background, but, it's not as obtrusive.

Perhaps I should have used the 60 macro or my 12-40 at f/2.8, for shallower DOF?

I would say yes and yes.

One great thing about the 60mm macro is that you can get in close for framing and composition to avoid background distractions.

If you're trying to isolate a subject like the Miscanthus from the neighborhood, you want to shoot as shallow as a depth of field as possible to make the background less distracting.

Perhaps more conscientious framing could help as well. I think maybe you could do a lot with just moving a few feet to the right for this photo.

Cyucus's gear list:Cyucus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
DrHook59
DrHook59 Regular Member • Posts: 346

I know that this grass looks like, so a wide shot wouldn't be my choice - I like to see things in photographs I have never seen before, or are unusual. So I'd get close and use some back-light (ideally the sun if it goes by in a phase that can be used), as previously mentioned. Make the grass the only subject in the frame - fall in love with the grass and to hell with anything else.

-- hide signature --

Some of the coolest things in life are really, really small.

DrHook59's gear list:DrHook59's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +3 more
Midwest Jessie Senior Member • Posts: 1,080
Re: Artifacts

These were taken at the National Museum or Fine Arts in Buenos Aires.  Striking figures, I think.

Midwest Jessie Senior Member • Posts: 1,080
Re: Artifacts

Sorry.  Posted this to the wrong week’s thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads