First serious attempt at lunar with 200P

Started 2 months ago | Photos
OllieN Regular Member • Posts: 349
First serious attempt at lunar with 200P

So this is my first serious go at lunar photography and it's again a pretty steep learning curve and some feedback would be so welcome.

I tried a couple of images and any critique would help massively both in terms of the final images and the process to get them

First up I tried the whole moon:

Skywatcher Explorer 200P on EQ5 pro
Nikon D5500
15 Frames 1/200 @ ISO100
Stacked the best 50% in AS3
Deconvolution using DStation

Next used my mono guide camera

Skywatcher Explorer 200P on EQ5 pro
ASI120mini (I think with the 2x barlow) 
3000 Frames
Stacked the best 25% in AS3
Deconvolution using DStation
A touch of wavelet sharpening in Registax6

The whole deconvolution and wavelet thing seems like a bit of a black art to me at the moment so I don't know if I'm pushing too hard or not enough yet.

Advice would be most welcome!!

Thanks,

Ollie

OllieN's gear list:OllieN's gear list
Nikon D5500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,059
Re: First serious attempt at lunar with 200P

Nice!

>1200mm (f/5.91)

Seriously cheap in the UK! £305.00

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

OP OllieN Regular Member • Posts: 349

chris gunn wrote:

Nice!

>1200mm (f/5.91)

Seriously cheap in the UK! £305.00

Indeed! Especially as I bought locally used in good condition so was £300 including the EQ5*!

* Bought the synscan separately

Nikon D5500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,682

Hi Okkie,

I've been meaning to comment on your post for the last few days, but life got in the way... you know how it is.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about Lunar imaging or processing but it sounds like you know what you're doing, at least enough to get some really nice images. All I can say from my position of ignorance is that the exposures and details look of these images great to me.

What I was really excited to see was the fact that you got yourself a proper EQ mount and scope and that you are moving forward with learning the craft of astrophotography, that's really great! I look forward to seeing your creations of the Creation in the future.

As for me, my recurring health issues forced me to sell my mount and a lot of the other gear last February, but I still have my little Star Adventurer and with the skies permitting I hope to do some imaging soon.

Best regards,
Rudy

Lyle Aldridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

OllieN wrote:

The whole deconvolution and wavelet thing seems like a bit of a black art to me at the moment so I don't know if I'm pushing too hard or not enough yet.

Thanks,

Ollie

Ollie, I like it. Especially the wider image. It looks to me like you pushed the sharpening right to the edge without going past it. Not by much, anyway.

If  you're interested, the New GIMP 2.10 64-bit has a "wavelet-decompose" sharpening filter (Filters>Enhance>Wavelet decompose) that I find fairly quick and controllable. It creates a layer group that applies wavelet sharpening at multiple levels of detail. You can then add sharpening at the detail level(s) you choose, just by adding duplicate layers within the layer group. It's very quick, because you can add layers within the group and see the effect immediately, just by clicking the duplicate layer button at the bottom of the palette. The amount of sharpening can also be controlled with opacity adjustments and layer masks applied to the individual layers within the layer group.

RudyPohl wrote:

Hi Okkie,

I've been meaning to comment on your post for the last few days, but life got in the way... you know how it is.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about Lunar imaging or processing but it sounds like you know what you're doing, at least enough to get some really nice images. All I can say from my position of ignorance is that the exposures and details look of these images great to me.

What I was really excited to see was the fact that you got yourself a proper EQ mount and scope and that you are moving forward with learning the craft of astrophotography, that's really great! I look forward to seeing your creations of the Creation in the future.

As for me, my recurring health issues forced me to sell my mount and a lot of the other gear last February, but I still have my little Star Adventurer and with the skies permitting I hope to do some imaging soon.

Best regards,
Rudy

Thanks Rudy,

Yes I definitely know how it is - I think almost all of the clear skies over the Summer were already busy with one thing or another so really have got out very little this year.

Yes I'm excited about the mount too!  It'll be a bit of a change in mindset I think, going from something that was portable and I could hike around with to something that I'll need to be close to the car for, but that will be part of the adventure I guess..  Really it needs a coma corrector but I can't afford that until next year, but I guess that gives me time to practice in the meantime.  And of course I'm keeping my Star Adventurer for Milky way photography as there are just too many tempting locations along the Dorset coast that do need a portable lightweight tracker.

Look forward to seeing your images too

Cheers,

Ollie

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

OllieN wrote:

Thanks,

Ollie

Ollie, I like it. Especially the wider image. It looks to me like you pushed the sharpening right to the edge without going past it. Not by much, anyway.

If you're interested, the New GIMP 2.10 64-bit has a "wavelet-decompose" sharpening filter (Filters>Enhance>Wavelet decompose) that I find fairly quick and controllable. It creates a layer group that applies wavelet sharpening at multiple levels of detail. You can then add sharpening at the detail level(s) you choose, just by adding duplicate layers within the layer group. It's very quick, because you can add layers within the group and see the effect immediately, just by clicking the duplicate layer button at the bottom of the palette. The amount of sharpening can also be controlled with opacity adjustments and layer masks applied to the individual layers within the layer group.

Thanks,

Good to get some feedback that the amount of sharpening is in the right ballpark

I shall check out GIMP.  I have a copy that I use at work for the occasional  times I need to do some basic image manipulation so I can have a play and see how I get on

Cheers,

Ollie

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads