Sigma Photo Pro 6.6.0 and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina external drive issue

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Thingus
Thingus Forum Member • Posts: 59
Sigma Photo Pro 6.6.0 and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina external drive issue

Installed Mac OS 10.15 Catalina on iMac and running just fine mostly. Except for what I assume to be a bug in Sigma Photo Pro 6.6.0.

The software will read X3F-files from the internal ssd faultlessly. However trying to read X3F-files on an external drive results in a program crash:

"Error.

Sufficient memory cannot be allocated.

Please reboot SIGMA Photo Pro."

Anyone out there having the same issues?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MauritsB
MauritsB Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Sigma Photo Pro 6.6.0 and Mac OS 10.15 Catalina external drive issue

Same behaviour in MacOS Catalina!

When I try to access an external disk from within SPP 6.6.0 I get an error message that "Sufficient memory cannot be allocated. Please reboot Sigma Photo Pro." Pressing OK SPP immediately closes.

It is accessing the external disk that leads to the crash, not trying to open an X3F.

On a similar note: I asked Sigma Benelux a month ago whether a 64-bit version of Sigma Capture Pro for Mac was in the pipeline given that Catalina no longer supports 32-bit applications. They had no knowledge of a 64-bit Capture Pro being in development but stated it was "likely" that this would happen somewhere in the future. Not very encouraging.

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,349
Not for any Mac OS, but Windows...

Just FYI

A year ago or so I was lamenting - and had a long discussion by email with Sigma Japan - about SPP6.X (several versions tried) NOT reading X3Fs from the INTERNAL drives but ONLY from the external drives. - It crashed like yours, but I don't remember getting that exact message. It never got resolved, but it didn't matter anyway as I happily use 5.X for the SD1M files.

/Just FYI

atom14.

Thingus
OP Thingus Forum Member • Posts: 59

Thanks for sharing your similar experience. Indeed the program crashes trying to acces an external disk or network share.

Now let's see how quick the Sigma software team can amend this bug.

As I am from Nederland, do you reckon mailing SIGMA Benelux is the best way to call attention to this problem? Or do you know of a more direct path to Japan?

Thingus
Re: Not for any Mac OS, but Windows...

That is pretty flawed indeed. For me reverting back to 5.x will not do.

atom14
Re: Not for any Mac OS, but Windows...

That's right, but for me I didn't revert to it as such, I just never got past it to V6.x. It has all I need for my files though.

Oh, if I placed files on the external HDD it would work a treat, but it would crash if I tried to access the internal drives.

atom14.

MauritsB

Thingus, I have no direct line to Sigma Japan. But I will try.

For now I made a bootable clone of MacOS Mojave on an external SSD with SPP and SCP. I needed to do that anyway because my Eizo monitor is no longer supported in Catalina and neither is my Spyder calibration device.

Even when you grant SPP full disk access in MacOS' Security and Privacy settings SPP just quits when accessing an external drive.

Groeten!

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

Thingus

Well dealing with software gremlins keeps one inventive that's for sure.

I tweeted this thread to Sigma USA & Mr. Yamaki. If there is any reply I'll post it to this thread.

MauritsB

I just sent a message to Sigma Japan. Wait and see.

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,025

MauritsB wrote:

Same behaviour in MacOS Catalina!

When I try to access an external disk from within SPP 6.6.0 I get an error message that "Sufficient memory cannot be allocated. Please reboot Sigma Photo Pro." Pressing OK SPP immediately closes.

It is accessing the external disk that leads to the crash, not trying to open an X3F.

On a similar note: I asked Sigma Benelux a month ago whether a 64-bit version of Sigma Capture Pro for Mac was in the pipeline given that Catalina no longer supports 32-bit applications. They had no knowledge of a 64-bit Capture Pro being in development but stated it was "likely" that this would happen somewhere in the future. Not very encouraging.

SPP 6.4 and almost every previous version works fine on my MacBook Air with 4 GB of RAM, external drives, and internal SSD, and I'm using OSX 10.7.5. SPP 6.6.1 works fine on a system I often use with Mac OS Sierra, an internal SSD, 8 GB of RAM, and lots of external drives . . . except the issue with old SD14 raw files and other really old Sigma raw files. SPP 6.6.0 seems to work fine on that computer with those files and the latest Quattro files too though. SPP 6.6.0 just doesn't have the .x3i file processing fix. I believe this problem you're having is some way Apple has purposely broken 3rd party software.

It seems to me that Apple really has their heads up their a$ses, now that Steve Jobs is gone. They keep laying eggs, as far as I'm concerned. I just won't upgrade. What I've seen of the new operating systems just turns my stomach, causing even old Apple programs to stop working right. Things that used to work just fine no longer work on people's computers, once they "upgrade" their operating system! What's up with THAT Apple?!?

I bet Aperture won't even work on a new Apple computer anymore. I paid $300 for that program, and I'll be stuffed if I will buy something else to replace it. I'm just going to use it for as long as I can, and when Dark Table is ready, I'll use that in the future. I won't buy a Mac without an SD card slot either. SD cards are ubiquitous, and I want an SD card slot, just like I wanted a DVD drive in any computer I bought ten to twenty years ago. If Apple won't make a new computer with an SD card slot, I won't buy one of their new computers. I'll buy an old Mac or a new Dell or something instead.

". . . my Eizo monitor is no longer supported in Catalina and neither is my Spyder calibration device." Need I say more?

Sorry to rant about Apple issues on your thread, and I'm sure it's something Sigma didn't do just right . . . the Apple way. Still, I just had to vent. Maybe I'm having a bad day.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
MauritsB

Hey Scott,

I think you simply had a bad day, happens to all of us

The first thing I did with the optical drives in my previous MacBook Pro's was replacing them with a second HDD. My main cameras back then used CF cards. So it is all relative.

Like every other big company Apple sometimes makes weird decisions, but I do not think they are to blame here.

Apple has been phasing out 32-bit apps for the last 10 years. 32-bit apps are inefficient when compared to 64-bit apps. MacOS itself has been 64-bit since the launch of Snow Leopard in 2009.

Apple started warning Mac users about plans to end support for 32-bit apps back with macOS High Sierra. And in ‌macOS Mojave‌, if you opened a 32-bit app, you got an alert letting you know that the app wouldn't work with future versions of macOS unless it was updated by its maker. In ‌macOS Catalina‌, 32-bit apps simply no longer work.

I have known for over a year that the software controlling my Datacolor Spyder calibration device would stop working in macOS Catalina. The same is true for the Eizo-made software controlling my display. That is why I made a bootable clone of Mojave with both Eizo and Datacolor software installed (and Sigma's Capture Pro software).

Datacolor and Eizo did make 64-bit software so to be ready for macOS Catalina, well in advance of the latter's introduction. However, both companies decided to exclude many legacy devices from being supported by their own 64-bit upgrade.

So, in my case, it is not Apple that let me down but Datacolor and Eizo. I am sure that those companies can (and will) produce lots of technical and practical reasons why they no longer support older devices. Nevertheless, I now have a 9 year old $1500 monitor that still works like the day I bought it but was orphaned for arbitrary reasons. Basically, what they say is "tough luck, buy a new monitor and calibration device".

Apple warned me well in advance that these programs (and the devices controlled by the software) would no longer fully work. Looking for 64-bit updates I learned over a year ago that neither Eizo nor Datacolor would be making any for my specific devices.

I can live with that. I have had fun with the Eizo and Spyder for many years. It would have been nice if I had the opportunity to squeeze some extra years of usage out of them, but that isn't the case unless I periodically go back to macOS Mojave and update my color profiles.

Sigma on the other hand has been caught sleeping.

Capture Pro is the only tethering software I can use for my sd Quattro. Capture Pro should have been updated months ago to 64-bit. This is software for cameras that are still in production. Sigma has no excuse for not having done this.

Sigma Photo Pro is 64-bit software. Unfortunately it looks like it still has some 32-bit dependencies rendering the software inoperable in macOS Catalina. Again, this is primary software for cameras still in production. And again, Sigma was caught sleeping.

Now I know that some people will tell me not to upgrade my OS immediately when a new version is available, or at least wait until it has settled. That is sound advice, yet I upgraded because I can (and like to).

Regardless, Sigma should have done their homework.

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

brazile Contributing Member • Posts: 594

Yeah, just checked it, me, too. 6.6.1. Can't see the USB-C mounted external drive that has all my photos on it, same error message. I suspect the bletcherous cross-platform toolkit they use to build SPP. Would expect to see a 6.6.2 or 6.7.0 before too very long.

Robert

Thingus

Thanks for contributing to this thread. That a fix will come soon seems a reasonable enough expectation. Sigma being a relatively small company, communication lines should be short.

Scottelly

MauritsB wrote:

Hey Scott,

I think you simply had a bad day, happens to all of us

The first thing I did with the optical drives in my previous MacBook Pro's was replacing them with a second HDD. My main cameras back then used CF cards. So it is all relative.

Like every other big company Apple sometimes makes weird decisions, but I do not think they are to blame here.

Apple has been phasing out 32-bit apps for the last 10 years. 32-bit apps are inefficient when compared to 64-bit apps. MacOS itself has been 64-bit since the launch of Snow Leopard in 2009.

Apple started warning Mac users about plans to end support for 32-bit apps back with macOS High Sierra. And in ‌macOS Mojave‌, if you opened a 32-bit app, you got an alert letting you know that the app wouldn't work with future versions of macOS unless it was updated by its maker. In ‌macOS Catalina‌, 32-bit apps simply no longer work.

I have known for over a year that the software controlling my Datacolor Spyder calibration device would stop working in macOS Catalina. The same is true for the Eizo-made software controlling my display. That is why I made a bootable clone of Mojave with both Eizo and Datacolor software installed (and Sigma's Capture Pro software).

Datacolor and Eizo did make 64-bit software so to be ready for macOS Catalina, well in advance of the latter's introduction. However, both companies decided to exclude many legacy devices from being supported by their own 64-bit upgrade.

So, in my case, it is not Apple that let me down but Datacolor and Eizo. I am sure that those companies can (and will) produce lots of technical and practical reasons why they no longer support older devices. Nevertheless, I now have a 9 year old $1500 monitor that still works like the day I bought it but was orphaned for arbitrary reasons. Basically, what they say is "tough luck, buy a new monitor and calibration device".

Apple warned me well in advance that these programs (and the devices controlled by the software) would no longer fully work. Looking for 64-bit updates I learned over a year ago that neither Eizo nor Datacolor would be making any for my specific devices.

I can live with that. I have had fun with the Eizo and Spyder for many years. It would have been nice if I had the opportunity to squeeze some extra years of usage out of them, but that isn't the case unless I periodically go back to macOS Mojave and update my color profiles.

Sigma on the other hand has been caught sleeping.

Capture Pro is the only tethering software I can use for my sd Quattro. Capture Pro should have been updated months ago to 64-bit. This is software for cameras that are still in production. Sigma has no excuse for not having done this.

Sigma Photo Pro is 64-bit software. Unfortunately it looks like it still has some 32-bit dependencies rendering the software inoperable in macOS Catalina. Again, this is primary software for cameras still in production. And again, Sigma was caught sleeping.

Now I know that some people will tell me not to upgrade my OS immediately when a new version is available, or at least wait until it has settled. That is sound advice, yet I upgraded because I can (and like to).

Regardless, Sigma should have done their homework.

Thank you for that interesting, informative, and thought-provoking response. Now I understand much better, but you haven't convinced me that Apple is doing the right thing. I know they're want to prevent bloat and security issues, while containing costs and compatibility problems, but it seems to me that Apple is forcing people to upgrade perfectly good software and even hardware, and that seems wrong to me. You say 32 bit software is inefficient, but I think that's an oversimplification. Plenty of 16 bit software works just fine as 16 bit software, and never really needed to be upgraded to 32 bit for "efficiency" . . . and I suspect it's the same with the 32 bit to 64 bit transition. Making something 64 bit doesn't automatically increase the speed or efficiency of the program.

Still, I get what you're saying, and I suspect we will see a full 64 bit SPP 7.0 released in a few weeks.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
MauritsB

Hey Scott,

Well, I am back to Mojave.

Adobe had a revenue of 2.74 billion dollars in Q2 2019. They also claim that their monthly subscription based licensing model ensures always up to date software. Yet neither Photoshop nor Lightroom fully works in Catalina.

This is the first time in over 10 years that I had to revert after a new macOS upgrade.

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,591

MauritsB wrote:

Hey Scott,

Well, I am back to Mojave.

Adobe had a revenue of 2.74 billion dollars in Q2 2019. They also claim that their monthly subscription based licensing model ensures always up to date software. Yet neither Photoshop nor Lightroom fully works in Catalina.

Yes, I noticed that my desktop standalone Lightroom 6 is identified as 64-bit in my Mojave System Report/Applications list, but despite this, under Mojave I have been getting the "legacy software might not work" warning for some time now, when I start Lightroom under Mojave.

And, of course, we all know exactly what the odds are of Adobe updating the old desktop Lightroom 6!

This is the first time in over 10 years that I had to revert after a new macOS upgrade.

Like you say, Apple have given plenty of warning about this. And I agree that ensuring legacy support for everything, forever, is only going to prevent OS developers from delivering the most efficient and fast OS that avoids becoming bloatware. And for a company with the emphasis on user experience that Apple has, that's too high a price to pay, especially with their emphasis on a smoother, more integrated user experience between MacOS and iOS.

IMO this forum has more than its fair share of legacy-oriented denizens, so I expect a lot of outrage from people who have been known to opine that "you can't beat the original" and "I hate these changes on principle".

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
atom14

MauritsB wrote:

Adobe... claim that their monthly subscription based licensing model ensures always up to date software. Yet neither Photoshop nor Lightroom fully works in Catalina.

Great, isn't it!? - They OB(liv)iously make out as if they  haven't heard of open source s/w. Mozilla Ffox, Open Office... - and a host of other s/w is also up-to-date.

at:-|m14.

MauritsB

atom14 wrote:
... - and a host of other s/w is also up-to-date.

Yeah, a lot of the smaller software developers are much more agile. Kudos for Carbon Copy Cloner for example. Worked great in Catalina, worked flawless going back to Mojave.

TN Args wrote:

so I expect a lot of outrage from people who have been known to opine that "you can't beat the original" and "I hate these changes on principle".

TN Args, I (reluctantly) empathise with users wanting to remain in the good old days. But why do software makers think they have a choice? They have to comply eventually, so why not now?

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

Scottelly

MauritsB wrote:

atom14 wrote:
... - and a host of other s/w is also up-to-date.

Yeah, a lot of the smaller software developers are much more agile. Kudos for Carbon Copy Cloner for example. Worked great in Catalina, worked flawless going back to Mojave.

TN Args wrote:

so I expect a lot of outrage from people who have been known to opine that "you can't beat the original" and "I hate these changes on principle".

TN Args, I (reluctantly) empathise with users wanting to remain in the good old days. But why do software makers think they have a choice? They have to comply eventually, so why not now?

Cheers!

That's a pretty frightening attitude.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

MauritsB

Hey Scott,

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect software makers to follow Apple's directions if they want to exist in the Apple universe.

It is big companies like Adobe that can be haughty (for a while). Smaller companies have no choice. In Apple's software world Sigma is a very small company.

What will happen when Sigma presents its full frame Foveon camera in a year or so? Many Apple-using photographers will have upgraded to macOS 10.15 by then. If Sigma has any hope for the new camera they simply have to comply.

This morning Sigma Japan told me that they are very much aware of problems with SPP on the latest macOS Catalina. They are testing but still need some time. The choice of words "latest macOS Catalina" I think can be interpreted as that Sigma has been extensively testing on beta Catalina's but that maybe the final macOS release differs from the GM.

Sigma is also working on a 64 bit version of Sigma Capture Pro. So that's in the pipeline too. I am guessing SPP has their priority now.

-- hide signature --

www.mauritsbollen.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads