What are your thoughts on this lens...

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,363
Re: What are your thoughts on this lens...

TomWret wrote:

Thanks again to all, I think I'm going to pop for the plastic 50mm DA 1.8 for $96.00 new.

Tom W

Good call. I went through similar brainstorming and ended up buying DA f/1.8 50mm. Well, not just that, also a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 and a Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4... and still thinking about getting a 1.4 though

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Sony SLT-A58 +53 more

KPM2 wrote:

Hello TomWret

TomWret wrote:

Thanks again to all, I think I'm going to pop for the plastic 50mm DA 1.8 for $96.00 new.

Tom W

This lens is for sure good on your KP, but on your K1 ?

The lens do cover the FF circle, but I never saw a compare of the boarders with one of the real FF lens. Do it get a nervous look at the boarders on FF ? How do the vignetting look's like on FF ?

If you will not spend much money, try to find a used FA 50mm f 1.7. That is a very good lens and made for FF.

best regards. KPM2

Good point KPM2. Additionally, I think the bokeh would be better on FA 50mm f/1.7. I don't have K1 or FA 50mm f/1.7 so can't compare, but the bokeh on Pentax-M 50mm at f/1.7 is far better than DA 50mm's bokeh at f/1.8. It is noticeably better. However, I still use DA 50mm f/1.8 more because it has AF.

I wonder about another aspect: Does FA 50mm f/1.7 has the modern coatings as DA 50mm f/1.8? That will have a significant impact on image quality in bright sunny days...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,053

Hello Massao

Massao wrote:

KPM2 wrote:

Hello TomWret

TomWret wrote:

Tom W

This lens is for sure good on your KP, but on your K1 ?

The lens do cover the FF circle, but I never saw a compare of the boarders with one of the real FF lens. Do it get a nervous look at the boarders on FF ? How do the vignetting look's like on FF ?

If you will not spend much money, try to find a used FA 50mm f 1.7. That is a very good lens and made for FF.

best regards. KPM2

Good point KPM2. Additionally, I think the bokeh would be better on FA 50mm f/1.7. I don't have K1 or FA 50mm f/1.7 so can't compare, but the bokeh on Pentax-M 50mm at f/1.7 is far better than DA 50mm's bokeh at f/1.8. It is noticeably better. However, I still use DA 50mm f/1.8 more because it has AF.

I wonder about another aspect: Does FA 50mm f/1.7 has the modern coatings as DA 50mm f/1.8? That will have a significant impact on image quality in bright sunny days...

I don't think the DA has a modern HD coating. I think the DA has a additional SP coating for the front lens. All lens (both FA and the DA) have the SMC coating. The SP coating is a good protecting (and for easy cleaning) for dust, water, and finger prints.

The DA is the only one, which has rounded aperture blades.

I think all lens will benefits when you use a lens hood. I do that with my FA 50mm f1.4 and my old M 50mm f1.7.

best regards. KPM2

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,497

TomWret wrote:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens Standard AF Lens #20817 as an affordable option when I can't really afford the 1.4 super expensive lens? Right now it's under $350.

Thanks, Tom W

It is good. But it cannot compare to the DFA*50/1.4. Not even close.

It has focus shift so it can be hard to focus correctly. The FA 50/1.7 is a safer bet.

You can get a FA 50/1.7 on eBay for under $200.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
TBLF Contributing Member • Posts: 903

Love mine, it is great for portraits and low light work. Mine focuses with confidence on the K1, but it is always good to fine adjust focus in menu so it will be dead on when using wide open.

FWIW, focus and recompose technique is almost impossible on any f1.4 lens because you are bound to move the camera enough to move the focus point because it is so thin at f1.4. You are better off backing away, focus and stay put (if you are wobbly you will lose the intended focus point) and leaving enough room to crop to suit in post.

-- hide signature --

EricV

TBLF's gear list:TBLF's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +7 more
Orman Hall Forum Member • Posts: 62

Seems to me that there is the Dfa50mm 1,4 and everything else. The DA501,8 is insanely cheap, sharp stepped down a little and functions well on full frame.

Orman Hall's gear list:Orman Hall's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

TomWret wrote:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens Standard AF Lens #20817 as an affordable option when I can't really afford the 1.4 super expensive lens? Right now it's under $350.

Thanks, Tom W

I could get a used 43/1.9 for that money . I mean if you are going to buy an ancient lens design, you might as well get a really good one.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +11 more

I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if someone else has already made these points. I haven't shot the DFA 501,4 but it sounds like it is a class completely by itself. That said, I have the A50 1.4, DA 50 1.8 and DFA 50 Macro all of which appear to be sharper than the FA 50 1.4. I use the A50 1.4 for bokeh shots and pretty much default to the DFA 50 macro for everything else. The DFA macro is really sharp and comparably priced to the FA 50 1.4.

So here would be my recommendations based on image priority:

Extreme bokeh - A50 1.4 (manual focus but sharper and cheaper than the FA).

Cost - DA 50 1.8 (auto focus, covers the FF sensor and can be had for less than $100).

Sharp - DFA 50 f2.8 macro (Damn sharp and comparably priced to the FA 50).

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
PeterPentax
PeterPentax Contributing Member • Posts: 569

Pentax never made a bad 50mm .

The FA 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 is a great walkabout lens for the K1. Get a second hand one, I got mine for £150

ps I have the DFA 50 1.4 also and it is in another class altogether, but is not a walkabout.

TomWret
OP TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

Orman Hall, thanks, that is the lens I ordered and it is to arrive today. It is a nice fall day if it arrives in time I'll get to check it out today.

Like a child at Christmas, Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more

PeterPentax wrote:

The Pentax-M 50/2 does not have a good reputation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F2-Lens.html

It seems to be soft at F2.0. But perfectly fine stopped down.

The M50/1.7 is sharp already at 1.7 and cheap and therefore a no brainer if you have those two to choose from.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
PeterPentax
PeterPentax Contributing Member • Posts: 569

Roland Karlsson wrote:

PeterPentax wrote:

The M50/1.7 is sharp already at 1.7 and cheap and therefore a no brainer if you have those two to choose from.

Yes, you are correct in that it was never the best Pentax 50mm. But it was not a bad one (stopped down), and its selling price relected it. I should know....I have them all !!

PeterPentax wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

PeterPentax wrote:

Yes, you are correct in that it was never the best Pentax 50mm. But it was not a bad one (stopped down), and its selling price relected it. I should know....I have them all !!

Wow..quite a collection you've got there:-)

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--

Mr Garibaldi Contributing Member • Posts: 576

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

I compared my FA50/1.4 directly to the D FA* 50/1.4 last year. The D FA* is definitely the better lens, but this difference shows up almost entirely at wider apertures, where the FA is quite soft by comparison. The FA gets a lot better as it is stopped down compared to the D FA* lens, which is excellent wide open and just gets better until f/5.6, which seems to be it's best aperture. By F/8, there isn't much to say between the two, the D FA* lens is still better, but the margin narrows enough that pixel peeping is required to really see the difference.

That's the optical stuff. What cannot be ignored is the size difference. The D FA* is huge and heavy. You are paying for it on several levels. Cost is only one. The size and weight difference is something to consider as well.

Also, the D FA* takes 72mm filters, so if you use a polarizer or ND filters, prepare to shell out some pretty heavy coin to accessorize it. I dropped almost as much on filters as I did on the lens. I couldn't justify buying cheap filters for a lens that expensive and good, and high quality 72mm polarizer filters and ND filters are not cheap.

Massao wrote:

PeterPentax wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

PeterPentax wrote:

Wow..quite a collection you've got there:-)

ha ha ha ... I am impressed!

I have quite many myself, including the M50/2. Two of them I think. Got those when buying cameras.

BTW - have you made any serious comparison?

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

ha ha ha ... I am impressed!

I have quite many myself, including the M50/2. Two of them I think. Got those when buying cameras.

I have those FF 50 mm (or close)

M42

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.8/55
SMC Takumar 1:2/55

Industar-50-2 3.5/50 (two)
Industar-61A-MC 2.8/50
MC Helios-44M-6 58/2
MC Helios-44M-7 58/2
MC Helios 44-3 58/2
Helios 44-2 2/58
Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tessar 2.8/50
Meyer-Optik Görliz Domiplan 2.8/50

PK

Pentax-M 50/1.4
Pentax-M 50/1.7
Pentax-M 50/2
Pentax-A 50/1.7 (two)
Pentax-F 50/1.7
Pentax FA 50/1.4
Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited

Agfa Color Coated 50/1.9
Auto Chinon 50/1.9
MC Helios 44K-4 58/2

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

SBS
SBS Senior Member • Posts: 2,586

It just never lit my fire. I sort of classified it as good for ethereal work. As in low contrast. On the suggestion of a forum member, I even purchased a metal hood to help with the contrast. But, I did a sharpness comparison test in the f/2 to f/2.4 range against the 43mm, which the 43mm won handily. I still have the 50mm f/1.4, which has been little used, and if you want, I will send it to you for $200, which includes shipping and the metal hood, with a 14 day return guaranty if you don't want to keep it. Not trying to push a sale. Just this may be a better opportunity for you. PM if interested.

TomWret
OP TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

Thanks SBS, for the kind offer but I decided to by a new 50mm SMC DA 1.8.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,925

TomWret wrote:

Thanks SBS, for the kind offer but I decided to by a new 50mm SMC DA 1.8.

Tom W

That looks like a good decision to me.

There is one thing that is better at then 50 mm DA 1.8 than at the FA 50 mm 1.7: The DA les is recognized by the camera and the lens information will be stored in the EXIF.

You will have access to automatic lens corrections of the camera and if you want to do post-processing afterwards I guess that any program will recognize and support this lens while I have to search for soemthing tha fits for my FA 50 mm (ON1 has the M version on their list).

This is no advangtage from the pure optical point of view - but for practial work it does make a difference.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more

Just in time for Fall colors!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads