What are your thoughts on this lens...

Started 3 months ago | Questions
TomWret
TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397
What are your thoughts on this lens...

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens Standard AF Lens #20817 as an affordable option when I can't really afford the 1.4 super expensive lens? Right now it's under $350.

Thanks, Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,908
Re: What are your thoughts on this lens...

TomWret wrote:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens Standard AF Lens #20817 as an affordable option when I can't really afford the 1.4 super expensive lens? Right now it's under $350.

Thanks, Tom W

I have the f 1.7 version of this lens. It became my standard if I use 50 mm and I am pretty satisfied with the results from it.

If you look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses-c30.html

the 1.7 version gets better ratings compared to the f 1.4 model. But I could imagine that this has to do with the performance wide open which may not be optimal. But I could imagine that you are pretty satisfied with that lens. The f 1.7 can only be bought as used.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
PeterPentax
PeterPentax Contributing Member • Posts: 560

Classic Pentax lens. Get it bought

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,784

Wide open (F1.7, F2.0) the F1.7 is a bit better, stopped down (F4.0, F5.6) the F1.4 easily wins... BTW I have a couple F 50mm F1.7's for sale in the pentaxforums marketplace if you care to go that route.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

TomWret
OP TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397

M or A focus?

Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,062

Its an excellent lens, Pentax's standard 50/1.4 from 1976 to 2019. You won't be disappointed.

That is, the optics were first introduced in 1976. The FA version is AF and still current.

Joe

zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,833

I have it since 5 years. It is excellent at f 4 +

F 1.4 is soft all over the border and the center.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,784

TomWret wrote:

M or A focus?

Tom W

both lenses come as M-series, A-series, F-series and FA-series, the F and FA series are autofocus, the M and A series are manual focus... What I have are the F-series

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,792

I own one. It was my main lens on my K5, and I use the 77 more now I have the K1.

If you look critically it is a little soft wide open. But it's a lens I wouldn't be without.

Not long ago you could pick up used ones very cheaply ... you could almost buy one and call it an investment   Mine came from ebay with a body attached and I resold the body for almost what I paid for the two together, which is about 1/3 of the current asking price.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342

TomWret wrote:

I had that lens, then ended up with a copy of the cheaper DA 50/1.7 and compared the two, and saw no reason to keep the heavier FA lens.  I didn't miss the extra half stop, and by every other measure the cheap plastic lens was always a little bit better.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 12,182

Mine is optically very good though sometimes grumpy about focusing, Now I want to go put it on the  KP for tommorow's walk, and may do so if weather permits.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
TomWret

Thanks to all. It sounds like if I choose, I won't be disappointed.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

MiguelATF
MiguelATF Regular Member • Posts: 236

It's a really nice lens, Tom.

Years ago when I shot with analog Pentaxes, I used the Pentax Takumar predecessor to this lens - the 50mm f/1.4 Tak - and it gave great results.

I will only echo what a few other posters have said - the f/1.7 version of this lens may actually be a little sharper.  There are several versions of the Pentax f/1.7 but the FA version (the last one made during the film era) is truly a superb lens.  I recently bought a copy for my KP and it has a great combination of affordability and superb image quality.

Whether you get the f/1.4 or the f/1.7, you won't go wrong.

-- hide signature --

"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."
~Garry Winogrand~
Ipernity: http://www.ipernity.com/home/1647950
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/migueltejadaflores/
Blog: http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com

MiguelATF's gear list:MiguelATF's gear list
Canon G1 X III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax KP Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,760

PeterPentax wrote:

Classic Pentax lens. Get it bought

If only they remade it with modern HD coatings and silent motor.

They done it with the 35mm f2 and the 10-17 fisheye but only with the coatings.

A screwdrive screwdrive motor too? Nah it is too old to buy new, especially at that price.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Re: What are your thoughts on this lens...on the K1

Hello TomWret

It is a good lens and one of my lens, which benefits from a AA less sensor and the f2.8 AF points.

When you use it on your K1:

you get vignetting at f1.4 and it's gone at f2.8

Test pictures:

vignetting at f 1.4 (focus point is the tree in the centre of the picture)

the trees at the boarders are already dark do to the illumination direction of the sun, on the other hand, you see and can compare therefore the vignetting relative good

compared with f1.8:

compared with f 2.8:

compared with f8

Close distance:

f1.4

compared with f1.8:

compared with f2.8:

It is a nice little lens. It has of cause a centre orientated sharpness, when you use it around full open.

The sharpness is at full open even in the centre a little soft, and in the centre really ok for me at 1.8-f2 and at f2.8 anyway

You get at once more contrast into your picture, when you use f 1.8-f2 instead a f1.4

BTW: That are RAW pictures out of the camera....I mean, I did not PP them, all got the same standard setting in LightRoom. You can see that my K1 do underexpose at f1.4 a very little the picture.

best regards KPM2

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,304

Holger Bargen wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

I have the f 1.7 version of this lens. It became my standard if I use 50 mm and I am pretty satisfied with the results from it.

If you look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses-c30.html

the 1.7 version gets better ratings compared to the f 1.4 model. But I could imagine that this has to do with the performance wide open which may not be optimal. But I could imagine that you are pretty satisfied with that lens. The f 1.7 can only be bought as used.

Hi Holger,

Good points there. I was about to buy the 1.4 version a while back, and then stopped only after checking the ratings on PF. It would be very helpful if someone with both versions could post some comparison pictures at f/1.7. If they perform equally at f/1.7 then I see no reason of not buying the 1.4 version, since it is available new.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Sony SLT-A58 +52 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

TomWret wrote:

Thanks, Tom W

Not for that price.

I have both the M50/1.4 and the FA50/1.4.  I think I prefer the M version but have not really tested them, and have used neither in a while.

When I was fine tuning the AF on my FA50 I found that I had to test at f2.8 because at f1.4 it was too soft to distinguish in focus from out of focus.

Look for used f1.7 or DA f1.8 for a better bang for buck.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more
TomWret

Thanks Doug.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

TomWret

Thanks again to all, I think I'm going to pop for the plastic 50mm DA 1.8 for $96.00 new.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047

Hello TomWret

TomWret wrote:

Thanks again to all, I think I'm going to pop for the plastic 50mm DA 1.8 for $96.00 new.

Tom W

This lens is for sure good on your KP, but on your K1 ?

The lens do cover the FF circle, but I never saw a compare of the boarders with one of the real FF lens. Do it get a nervous look at the boarders on FF ? How do the vignetting look's like on FF ?

If you will not spend much money, try to find a used FA 50mm f 1.7. That is a very good lens and made for FF.

best regards. KPM2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads